if a fella wanted to build a custom rifle???

You can talk Savage all you want, and for the DIY person it is still a good deal. However, I'll stand by my statement that they aren't the best value in rifles out there anymore. I'll choose a M700 almost every time now over the Savage, unless I can find a good deal on a used action

In my opinion the 700 is vastly over rated. It has an awful trigger and the first thing you do is spend the $100.

With some shopping, you can get a Savage with an acu trigger. If its a hunter acu then a spring change and its a Varmint down to 1.5 lbs.. All of $5

The Savage action I s smoothing in my opinion, does not feel as tacky.

You can still get Savage top bolt release or you can convert to the same.

I certainly did on a great deal on a 116. While I got the top bolt release free (Thank you Savage) there were not other costs into it.

While you can do a Remage on the 700, the receiver does not have the notch. That can be very fiddly getting it right.

Nope, if you want the setup that did it right from the start, its Savage all the way.

I simply bent it a bit (caveat, too much and it can break - I am working on a heat method to assist that)

Or you can file the receiver down to accommodate it. That's all the

So IF I were to buy a donor tikka t3 or vanguard in 7mm rem mag and wanted a 270 wby mag or 7mm wby mag would the receiver and bolt have to be altered or just the new barrel? Like I said this will be my first foray into the realm of even semi custom rifles so I got no clue.
Thanks guys for the patience,
Big Ed

Bolt face on a 7mmRM is the same as 270WBY and both are based on 300-375HH as the parent cartridge.

An associate of mine had a Vanguard rebarreled to 30- 378WBY and that required bolt face alteration.

I have never done any smith work on a t3. I think all you would have to do to a 7 rem mag to turn it into a 7 WBY mag would be to run a 7WBY reamer in the barrel on the lathe. The barrel might have to be set back a thread or two, but if it did need to be, its no big deal. A 7 Rem mag to a .270 WBY would be a re-barrel. I guess the magazine would work, but I could not say without putting my hands on it. (Hint: Mark V, Mark V,:D:D:D:D:D)
I like the .270 WBY, it is one of my favorites. I have no real love for the 7WBY. I sold my 7WBY when the 7RUM came out.

Sounds like you have described a Sako TRG-S which was chambered in several Wby magnums and 7mm rem, of course.

Look at gunbroker. Likely find a 7mm rem chambered TRG-S for well under $1000.

Unless just in love with the magnum idea, there is the .280rem AI which will be very close to the 7mm rem mag, but you get 5 in the magazine and better barrel life, plus ability to shoot plinker handloads. A bit dicey to shoot way reduced loadings in a big magnum.

For the record, pretty sure that Sako also chambered the 7mm Lazzeroni in the TRG-S. I know they chambered the .308 Warbird and also the .30-378wby. Now those are some real performers!

The short action mags are also very much in the performance ballpark with the 7mm rem. If going 7mm Wby for sure, I would look at the .300wby cased 7mm/300wby wildcat. The original 7mm wby is the smaller cased .257/.270 ctg necked up. No real advantage over the 7mm rem.

If you're looking for the most unusual chambering at camp, I just noticed, the Vanguard is offered in 240WBY. I'll bet there are not very many of those show up.

I consider this a very interesting chambering. Case volume is comparable to 30-06. Brass is totally unique. With the bullets available today, you should be able to take take any deer I've ever seen taken in south MS, at beanfield ranges.

This could be more affordable than custom work. Doh, now I want want one of these.

The 240 WBY is today an excellent cartridge. It was born pre-mature. Its velocity exceeded bullet technology of that time. Wby should push to revitalize it.

Back