IDPA

You dont have to be good to shoot, Ive been shooting IPSC for about 12 years and I'm still terrible.
Every club is a little different, our club (IDPA) encourages BUG and each stage has different round counts for BUG, we also encourage bringing more than one gun.
Last sunday I shot our IDPA match, it was 12ºF out, light winds, snowing with 8" of snow on the ground. We had 6 stages, I figured with the weather we wouldnt have much of a showup... wrong..... we had a good turnout, I just shot one gun, the 625 revolver, it was definatly a loss brass match with all the snow, I was the only revolver shooter and of course I came back with all my brass. It took about three hours to shoot the stages, I was real cold, didnt wear enough cloths figureing there would be just a few of us and it would be real quick. Another lesson learned!
Anyways, just get out there and try it and dont worry about how good or bad you shoot, just have fun.

i've shot IPSC more than IDPA, but I prefer IDPA. right now my local club is on hiatus til the snow melts. IDPA is the most fun you can have with a pistol. As if that wasn't enough, it teaches you very useful fundamentals. my accuracy has improved greatly since i started competition shooting. my draw and reload times have improved greatly. Now when i go to the range, i have specific things I can work on instead of just hitting cans at 20 yards all day. i encourage anyone to join IDPA ESPECIALLY IF YOU CARRY.

Dust D,
Just because it is inside, doesn't make it easier. One thing, indoors we can turn out the lights!

Leafing through a magazine at the grocery store, I read Walt Rauch to say he took a new gun to a match and found out that solitary practice is not enough. The stress of competition made it a lot harder to shoot. Of course he IS one of the IDPA founders.

Whatever you decide to compete in be safe. I just received word about some guy blowing a hole through his thigh of one leg and then into the calf of his other leg. This all took place at an IDPA indoor championship.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Dan C, not sure about bringing the missus. This is a man's sport. The women need to stay at home and clean the house.
I do let my wife clean my gun when I return from a match:p

This IS NOT A MAN'S SPORT!!!!!!!!!My wife LOVES and excels at IDPA.I hope that was all just a joke.We take turns cleaning the guns after comp if one of us is busy and if not she cleans hers and I clean mine.has to be a joke because anyone can pull a trigger and enjoy it.Man oh man i love the IDPA matchs even since day one like most.Ask SpringMom and melissa ann
see what they has to say , I have , after reading a lot of their posts, have a great deal of respect for the women of this sport.Take the wife and u will have 5 times the fun.but this is in no way a man's sport , nothing is.

It was a big enough mistake giving them the right to vote. Now you want to let them shoot guns???? What ever happened to "barefoot and pregnant"?
I do take her to the range on occasion, but that's so she can pick up brass for me.

Now, Joe, I know you are more liberated than that.
You buy her a new pair of shoes every winter and she is SO appreciative.

Back