IDPA Holster Help

Link

Anybody got any IDPA type holster recommendations for the following guns? These are all full-size, not compacts.

1. Springfield XD 45

2. S&W M&P 40

3. Taurus PT92

I actually like the Serpa CQC holsters while my gf prefers the Fobus jobs. Many I know really like the bladetech, but I think it's too far from the body for IDPA rules.

Will plastic holsters like the Fobus design scratch or wear pistol finishes?

My pistols are used primarily for range shooting, home defense, and possibly IDPA shooting, but I don't want them marred from the holster.

Will I be okay with a plastic holster, or should I go with nylon or leather?

Anything you rub a blued finish against hundreds or thousands of time is going to wear it. A hard Kydex holster actually touches the gun only a few places and will put narrow streaks and spots of wear in the blue. A leather holster kind of massages it all over as you holster and draw and causes an overall softening of the blue, starting at corners and edges, and eventually turns large areas gray.

Fobus is junk, molded and riveted, I have had them that were ok, but the next was too tight for a smooth draw.
Nylon holsters are trash, I have never seen one that is really suitable for serious use.

Sorry, Link, but a gun is a tool and really using it means putting some wear on it. Probably the gentlest would be a Safariland with composite construction, plastic to hold shape and a suede lining against the gun. But you have to keep the lining clean or it will pick up dirt that will grind the finish.

Link, try kytac (it may ky-tac), good product, a little higher priced than some but the owner is a top rank IDPA shooter and understands the needs of that type of shooting.

Serpas are really good...lightweight, comfortable and WAY more secure than the original fobus...I under stand the fobus are supposed to be more secure now, but cant advise...i wear the serpa everday as a plain cloths investigator...I love it. Car wear it w\either with the paddle or on a belt...FM12

Beware of the guy with a gun that has the finish worn off. He knows how to use it. The plastic holster that is not too hard on the finish is the Blade Tec injection molded holster. They have good adjustment and are very inexpensive.
Fobus is junk.

I agree with JoeD that fobus is not the best...barely ANY retention qualities , you need something that holds the weapon in place....

For the money you can't do better than Ucle Mike's "kydex". Less than $20, works great. I've had them for 4 different guns, and while I only still use one regularly (SIG 225), it's generally the first holster I buy for a new gun to use while I decide for sure which "nice holster" I want to buy for it.

But you can't take the Uncle Mike's kydex belt holster to a sanctioned IDPA match. The belt loop is big enough to drag a cat through by the tail, and no daylight gap is allowed. The paddle version seems ok.
The Blade Tech injection molded holster is not much more expensive and I think it ok for IDPA. But I would ask before I bought.

In the IDPA journal, reporting on the nationals - I think Blade-tech was the most frequent holster.

I've got a couple for my Glock and 1911 and they seem to be ok.

I like the Galco Yaqui Paddle holster. It is adjustable so you can use different guns and only buy one holster.
Rusty

yaqui.jpg

The CR speed holster is not legal for IDPA in any division and it's not legal for USPSA production or single-stack divisions. Uncle Mikes makes an inexpensive kydex holster. Going up the quality chain, you won't be disapointed with a holster from Comp-tac, Ky-tac or Blade-Tech.

Back