IDPA gun choice.

DA/SA is harder to double tap with than are trigger systems with consistent pulls from first to last. Not that it can't be done, but it takes more work.

The 1911 offers a relatively light, consistent pull with short travel and short reset.

The Glock isn't as nice, but is closer in character to a 1911 than a DA/SA. The Glock can also be loaded to 10+1 for IDPA, and often will not require a reload in a string of fire where a 1911 will.

In those strings that exceed 11 rounds, I find the tapered top of a double stack magazine is a bit faster to insert in the well by feel than is the tighter fit of a single stack.

Personally, though, I prefer M&Ps over Glocks, and 1911s over M&Ps.

I like the XD, M&P, and Glock platforms because you can buy a competition model, but have a different model as your License to Carry or home defense weapon that has the exact same manual-of-arms and basic feel.

My competition gun is an XD9 Tactical, and my home defense gun is an XD45 Tactical. My wife competes with a Glock 34, but her carry gun is a Glock 26.

Shoot what you carry. Carry what you shoot. Buying a special gun for IDPA that you never carry or nightstand entirely defeats the purpose of IDPA.

Shoot what you carry. Carry what you shoot. Buying a special gun for IDPA that you never carry or nightstand entirely defeats the purpose of IDPA.

Just remember that IDPA is not training.

So here's my advice question to further muddy the water: I have a P226 40 S&W that I have saved up enough to send in to get the Action Enhancement Package, the Short Reset Trigger, Stainless Guide Rod, and TruGlo TFO (plus shipping). Do I go ahead and follow through and get all Mil-Spec'd out plus a TFO or do I go MacGyver with Midway and Dawson Precision? My issue is that I keep losing my front sight focus (I know, slow down and shoot as fast as you can see... it was an NRA pistol qualifier) on this indoor range where the alley light was less than great for my aging eyes. I am planning on doing more of the indoor shoots until the outdoor season starts including some road trips to the closest IDPA club. Ideally this is what I will carry on me when I decide to cough up the $400 (class plus permit... I guess 6 years as an MP doesn't count) to conceal what I can already walk around with openly. Any suggestions,or BTDTs?

I shot my first IDPA match a few weeks ago with my Sig P226 Elite. The first DA trigger pull wasn't a big deal since the initial targets on each stage were typically close. And any longer range shots were towards the end of the stage and single-action. I also shot my first steel match with the P226 and the initial DA trigger pull was a disadvantage on any stage where the initial target required any meaningful aiming. Having newly returned to shooting, I've found the P226 to be a challenging gun to consistently shoot accurately, giving me the perfect excuse to add a G35 to the gun safe and it is an amazing shooter so far (no DA, trigger pull is plenty quick and in general it is far easier for me to consistently shoot accurately).

In addition to the P226 feeling very intuitive and natural in my hands, the thing I love about it is that it absolutely goes bang every time I pull the trigger without fail. I own a Colt 1911 and it is a wonderful shooting gun, but in my limited match experience (only 2), it seems that folks shooting fancy single-stack 1911's are far more prone to malfunctions (which may have something to do with the dry, dusty environment here).

The net being, I think the P226 is fine for IDPA, but you may find it challenging in other types of competition.

Back