IDPA Classifier

I need to work on the holster thing, too. Most of the ranges around here don't allow drawing and firing in the manner needed for IDPA shooting, so I'll be practicing that at home with an empty (yes, I'll double chek it!) gun.

As a matter of fact, I think I'll be off to the range this afternoon. We don't have another local match until the 12th and 13th of July because of the Carolina Cup on the weekend of the 7th and 8th. Gotta work on those double taps a little more.

Don't EVEN think that doing the dry fire practice is something you have to appoligize for or explain. It's almost REQUIRED if you want to get better. I can not draw at my local range either. But I have a target setup in my home office. I do the regular check and double check before starting. Then I practice the draw stroke; FROM CONCEALMENT!

Edzilla gave me a tip on this one time. I start my dry fire at 1/4 speed. Do it 10 times. Then move the speed up to 1/2 speed. 10 more. Then 3/4. 10 more. Then full speed. 10 more. If getting ready for a major match... I try to push it a little; go a little faster than normal. But after that, I slow back down to 3/4 and finish with good smooth strokes.

The point is to re-enforce correct mechanics. If you start out practicing fast, you may practice a bad mechanic that gets set. Starting this way helps you get the proper mechanics every time.

Dry fireing works. I had not shot revolver for a LONG time. We had a bowling pin "revolver only" match this week. I have always shot single action but for this match, I spent a week dry fireing double action. Probably shot 400 times like that. Got to the match and found it was a REAL effort to shoot single action. The mechanics were there to shoot double. Really kinda surprised me.

Hope to see you at the Cup Bob. I have run about 700 rounds downrange this week getting ready. Still have another 700 to go. :) Back to the range tonight.

Bubba

I dry fire practice a lot. I also practice drawing, both from concealment and open carry. Both really help!

Visualization can help too. It really helps to relax you because your mind thinks you've done this shooting thing a lot more than you actually have.

I know it may sound funny, but... :)

I won't be down there, Bubba. I have to work that weekend (gun show up in Richmond). I would like to, though!

I'll take that advice on practicing the draw slowly at first and then working my way up to speed. That worked for me on my golf swing (such as it is), and it's all about muscle memory anyway.

I'll be looking for an after-action report from the Cup!

There is a IDPA match in richmond on the 7th at black creek at 9:00 am. Not too far from the gun show . Patrick

Back