Idiots and loaded firearms

"Can you honestly say they fear that guns will act on their own accord?? Or is it that they fear guns in the hands of people who they believe would misuse them?"

It's a valid question, made more complicated by the fact that gun-haters seem rarely able to think such things through logically. I have had one person tell me that she would be afraid to keep a gun because she thinks that she would accidentally shoot herself. (?)

Gun-haters love to say things like "Guns kill more people than halitosis, hangnails, and post nasal drip combined." I believe that once they have heard and said such things long enough, they begin to believe that the gun itself is intrinsically dangerous, and a gun cannot be present without a corresponding increase in the general danger level.

Tim

And also, obviously the chief, even though he f-ed up, was being safe because his weapon was pointing in a direction which prevented the AD from hitting anyone.

Apparently not, it hit HIM.

If you want to compare the Chief to the 20 year old from MT I question your reasoning, as that is what the gun opponents like to do.

I see someone can't respond without personal attacks. Hmmmm? No, I want to hold the Chief to a higher standard. He's trusted with carrying a firearm and making life or death, in the line of duty, decisions with it. If he can not do it without shooting himself, he has no business behind a badge. "Gun opponents" normally say that police alone should have guns, so whose reasoning is flawed? Someone is no smarter, safer, or more upstanding simply because some doofus pinned a badge on him. Got it?

Redworm

Maybe if you are good, and eat all of your vegetables, you will grow a sense of humor.

Can you honestly say they fear that guns will act on their own accord?? Or is it that they fear guns in the hands of people who they believe would misuse them?

Then why can't we say the same thing about knives which every home in the nation contains at least one? How many people have one in their pocket; yet no one flees someone cleaning their fingernails with one.

husband, Ronald Long, fired the shot from the inside of their home after several unsuccessful efforts to punch a hole through the exterior wall using other means.

This man should not be charged with manslaughter, but rather with aggrevated stupidity.

Either way he probably will beat the conviction using an insanity defense.

I see someone can't respond without personal attacks. Hmmmm?

Not a personal attack at all. Perhaps you should raise the bar on where the thin skin region begins.

I have people question my reasoning and I simply explain it to them more clearly. I don't take every challenge to my reasoning as a personal affront.

they view all of us as irresponsible and stupid as the people in the articles. they have a fear of idiots, not a fear of guns.
I completely agree with this statement. I myself have a lot of aprehension about some people owning guns. Not because of the guns but because of the people themselves.

husband, Ronald Long, fired the shot from the inside of their home after several unsuccessful efforts to punch a hole through the exterior wall using other means.

If anyone wants to moan about a case being included in this thread it should be this one. The cases in the thread header were accidental discharges. The case cited above was an act of deliberation which went horribly wrong. It is also a good example of not using enough gun.

firemax
And also, obviously the chief, even though he f-ed up, was being safe because his weapon was pointing in a direction which prevented the AD from hitting anyone.

hkuse
Apparently not, it hit HIM.

I stand corrected.

Playboypenguin

I completely agree with this statement. I myself have a lot of aprehension about some people owning guns. Not because of the guns but because of the people themselves.

You make that decision beased on personally collected information on the person. The antis lump everyone into the same pile and anyone who owns a firearm is considered a dangerous person. Look at how they treat CCW holders and how they call them "dangerous" or "likely to shoot someone" or "gunfights in the streets" or "blood in the streets" just as a few examples.

The only people the antis trust with a firearm are the police. They would rather call hired gunmen to come to their location than accept the help of an armed citizen.

I once asked an anti that if a thug were beating them with a ball bat, striking them once every 2 seconds, and I were standing there with a firearm would they want me to dispatch the thug. She actually said she would use her cell phone to call the police!

Maybe if you are good, and eat all of your vegetables, you will grow a sense of humor.
My sense of humor is quite evolved, thank you very much. :D

But when this kind of thing is the mantra of the gun rights advocates it gives fuel for the antis that view the whole lot as backwards, inbred rednecks.

Sorry but I'm not going to let such things fly by without responding. Maybe someone lurking on the forum will see that at least some of us take the high ground. :p
Then why can't we say the same thing about knives which every home in the nation contains at least one? How many people have one in their pocket; yet no one flees someone cleaning their fingernails with one.
Maybe because knives are not nearly as effective weapons as guns. The very same reason we choose guns over knives to protect ourselves - their ease of use, ease of maintenance and ease of concealment - is the very same reason criminals choose them to commit their crimes.

I imagine the wife begs to differ.

Likely not. If he had used more gun -- he used a .22 -- the bullet would have done what he wanted and penetrated the wall instead of ricocheting off and killing her.

Can you honestly say they fear that guns will act on their own accord?? Or is it that they fear guns in the hands of people who they believe would misuse them?

I think there is a gray area in between there where the majority of them think. From conversations with gun-unfriendly (I hate the word anti for some reason, it makes us look like loons or something, just a pet peeve) people they have voiced their opposition to guns much like TimRB's example...

I have had one person tell me that she would be afraid to keep a gun because she thinks that she would accidentally shoot herself. (?)

Its not a fear of the gun itself, nor a fear of the nut behind it, but a combination of the gun can do X amount of damage, I (being the owner) handle said weapon, therefore my (the owner) chances of creating X amount of damage, destruction, death, etc. increases. Add to that some people are just afraid to handle guns, not afraid 'of' them, just afraid to be 'around' them.

they view all of us as irresponsible and stupid as the people in the articles. they have a fear of idiots, not a fear of guns.

I would argue, and no support to back it up of course, that most of them would not see those as examples of stupidity or being irresponsible (except the one discharge through the wall) but rather by having such weapons in the hands of just anyone. IMHO, its a combo of both a fear of the weapons ability to kill and the nuts out there.

If everyone knew the rules on how to handle a gun, I think we would see a lot less AD's. That's why I am all for educating in the schools how to handle a weapon at an certain age of maturity.

If everyone knew the rules on how to handle a gun, I think we would see a lot less AD's. That's why I am all for educating in the schools how to handle a weapon at an certain age of maturity.
fully agreed :D

Back