Idiots and loaded firearms

jimpeel

More stupid firearm tricks that sometimes cost lives.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,354157,00.html

Man Shoots, Kills Fetus by Mistake While Showing Handgun to Pregnant Teenager
Monday, May 05, 2008

MARRERO, La. — A 19-year-old man was booked in the death of a fetus after he accidentally shot a pregnant woman and killed her unborn baby, authorities said.

Wilbert L. Luke Jr. shot Shawntell Walker, 17, in the abdomen Sunday while he was showing her a handgun, Jefferson Parish sheriff's deputies said.

Luke drove Walker, who was 22 weeks pregnant, to West Jefferson Medical Center, said sheriff's spokesman Col. John Fortunato. The fetus died during surgery, he said.

A .22-caliber handgun recovered from Luke had been stolen in St. Tammany Parish, Fortunato said. Luke said he bought the gun on the streets about a year ago, Fortunato said.

Luke was booked with third-degree feticide and possession of a stolen firearm.

And if you think that only non-profesionals are that stupid:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,354149,00.html

Police Chief Shoots Self at Gun Training Session
Monday, May 05, 2008

RIVERDALE, Utah — The police chief in Riverdale accidentally shot himself in an ankle while demonstrating how to dislodge a jammed handgun.

Chief Dave Hansen was taken to McKay-Dee Hospital in Ogden for surgery.

The 54-year-old chief accidentally fired a gun during a training exercise inside a conference room at Riverdale police headquarters.

A fire captain and Riverdale Mayor Bruce Burrows confirmed the chief shot himself Saturday in an ankle bone. They said he was trying to fix a gun with a jammed round when the bullet fired.

Riverdale police officers carry .40-caliber pistols.

Hospital supervisor Rohn Larsen said Hansen was in stable condition Sunday. Larsen said he couldn't reveal which ankle — left or right — the chief shot.

A Weber County dispatcher said nobody from the Riverdale police department was available Sunday to release any information on the accident. A patrol officer on duty Sunday said he didn't know anything about it.

The chief's brother, a state lawmaker, said Hansen is a 23-year veteran and chief of the Riverdale police force since 2006.

Rep. Neil Hansen, D-Ogden, said he regularly goes target practicing with his brother and described him as safety-conscious.

"I've never seen him do anything reckless," Neil Hansen told the Standard-Examiner of Ogden.

The two articles are both stupid firearms tricks, but the similarity ends there.

I think the first one is an example of an ignorant showoff trying to look cool and no knowing the rules, IMHO. Tragic.

The second is an excellent example of a trained professional having a lapse that could have been tragic. (I've also experienced an ND. The result was harmless, and pointed downrange at my gun club, but no less surprising and embarassing). It should be an example for all of us about complacency.

here's a nice one

http://www.khqa.com/news/news_story.aspx?id=112401

Man shoots wife while installing satellite TV system
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 at 10:18 a.m.

SEDALIA, MO. (AP) -- Officials are trying to decide whether to file charges against a Missouri man who fatally shot his wife while trying to install a satellite TV system in their home.

Thirty-four-year-old Patsy Long of Deep Water was pronounced dead Saturday evening after being shot in the chest with a .22-caliber handgun. Her husband, Ronald Long, fired the shot from the inside of their home after several unsuccessful efforts to punch a hole through the exterior wall using other means.

Henry County Sheriff's Deputies say the woman was hit by the second of two shots fired by her husband.

Investigators say a person involved in such a case normally would be charged with manslaughter, but that was up to the prosecutor.
seriously.

seriously?
seriously

The second is an excellent example of a trained professional having a lapse that could have been tragic. (I've also experienced an ND. The result was harmless, and pointed downrange at my gun club, but no less surprising and embarassing). It should be an example for all of us about complacency.

... and to be cautious and aware all times about where you are pointing your weapon.

Hey, I got one too...fresh, even.

May 6, 5:47 PM EDT

Man charged with felony criminal endangerment in shooting

BOZEMAN, Mont. (AP) -- A 20-year-old Belgrade man has been charged with felony criminal endangerment for accidentally shooting his friend in the chest after asking, "Do you trust me?"

Bail was set at $3,500 for Jesse Jenkins.

Court records say Jenkins and Alberto Getz were drinking and playing with a handgun at a house in Belgrade Saturday night.

Several times, Jenkins pointed the gun at Getz, asked Getz if he trusted him, then pulled the trigger with the safety on, which prevented the gun from firing.

Jenkins told police that at some point the safety was inadvertently deactivated and he shot Getz in the chest.

Jenkins drove Getz to the hospital, where he was listed in stable condition. Hospital officials called Bozeman police, who arrested Jenkins.

Ah, playing a drinking game with a handgun. These are the exact idiots that people point to when looking to limit either ownership (since the round could have missed and went anywhere) or carry (particularly in bars). I mean, really, who does this crap?

What do you say about sorrowful news like this. It highlights the fact, for me, that it is never the GUN but the PEOPLE who make the mistakes.

The best advice I ever heard is "Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction".

A 20-year-old Belgrade man has been charged with felony criminal endangerment for accidentally shooting his friend in the chest after asking, "Do you trust me?"

Not anymore, I bet.

The antis would read the story thusly:

Court records say the handgun was drinking and playing with Jenkins and Alberto Getz at a house in Belgrade Saturday night.

Several times, the gun pointed itself at Getz and pulled its trigger with its safety on which prevented the gun from firing.

Jenkins told police that at some point the gun removed its own safety and it shot Getz in the chest without human intervention.

Jenkins drove Getz to the hospital, where he was listed in stable condition. In a twist of irony, the firearm has not been charged. It has, however, been discharged.

no, they still read the story correctly. this pretending that anti-gun folk personify guns and actually believe they do things on their own is asinine and counter-productive. the problem is that they view all of us as irresponsible and stupid as the people in the articles. they have a fear of idiots, not a fear of guns.

saying ridiculous things like that doesn't help to assuage their perception

accidentally fired a gun during a training exercise inside a conference room at Riverdale police headquarters.

Being this is a reporters spin on this, I have many questions left unanswered. Anyone, especially those against guns will not need anything more to satisfy their needs.
!. If this was in fact a training session, Why live ammo?
Or was it, Chief i have a jammed gun, could you take a look?,
Come on guys, Give the chief a little credit here, This happened inside a building, Not on a range.
Would you rather a LEO racked the slide out on the street or in a police station?
There are going to be mistakes made, and it is directly related to the frequency of using/handling IMHO.

A 20-year-old Belgrade man
To group the LEO's AD into a thread with this is a crime.
This forum need to raise another Bar.

:rolleyes: really now? so if you could show me some examples of actual anti-gun people personifying guns and acting as if they pull their own triggers then go right ahead.

Until then, I'll prefer to look at the situation logically and not purely on emotional hyperbole.

To group the LEO's AD into a thread with this is a crime.
This forum need to raise another Bar.

Whoa...are you saying that a trained professional is to be held to a lower standard than joe blow idiot schmuck? Why's that?

"they have a fear of idiots, not a fear of guns. "

I have met many, many anti-gun folk who told me in plainly and directly that they fear guns.

Tim

Standard? standard????
Whoa...are you saying that a trained professional is to be held to a lower standard than joe blow idiot schmuck? Why's that?

I am saying nothing of the kind!
We should always hold ourselves at the highest of standards,
If you want my personal opinion, I fully believe (because I am human) that something like that can happen to me.
TBS,
I Pledge I will always keep this fact in mind whenever i am in contact with a gun.

If you want to compare the Chief to the 20 year old from MT I question your reasoning, as that is what the gun opponents like to do.

gbro
If you want to compare the Chief to the 20 year old from MT I question your reasoning, as that is what the gun opponents like to do.

I see your point. The situation with the chief was not on the same level as some of the other examples...

And also, obviously the chief, even though he f-ed up, was being safe because his weapon was pointing in a direction which prevented the AD from hitting anyone.

TIM RB
I have met many, many anti-gun folk who told me in plainly and directly that they fear guns.

I have too. I have met people who, once they learned I had a weapon in my house, literally got nervous. It's an extreme reaction which I find very odd and which can only be explained by the amount of anti-gun hysteria in the media.

Tim
Can you honestly say they fear that guns will act on their own accord?? Or is it that they fear guns in the hands of people who they believe would misuse them?

But seriously, you're not going to find anyone that actually believes a gun will jump up and shoot someone on its own. It's ridiculous to pretend that the anti-gun argument is merely a fear of firearms. It's a fear of IDIOTS with firearms. They don't believe inanimate objects will suddenly develop locomotion.

Back