Identify this gun?

Tyras

Inactive
Got a revolver for fairly cheap. Shoots well, feels nice everything on it seems quality but from the tiny tiny flecs of info I could scavenge it looks like this was some spanish made gun. I've seen a post from some guy saying it was a "pot metal" gun. However I've put 6 cylinders of 38 special through it and my hands are still attached. So.... I really don't know.

Here we go
aeab1857034830f9275fe54b7606380b.jpg
eab82138dd7a0a6a3ee3fdc2e59f7d25.jpg
6eb8df09ce2eaf3069be5698ff2ba00f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Also the grips are from a Victory model that was ruined beyond repair. It was not the grips that came on this thing which were also aftermarket.

I think it is a Crucelegui Hermanos revolver, made in Eibar, Spain in the 1920s.

External appearance is close to Smith and Wesson Military and Police, but it is likely very different internally. Material quality is not equal to US or good European makes.
Do not shoot +P or much of anything.

The markings match up.

I have heard spurious tales of this revolver but it was shot often by the original owner or at least the one before me. It's very solid even had a smith look at it. Shoots real well too! Maybe I just got lucky or maybe it's not as bad as people say.

Agree on a Spanish made "copy" of a S&W. The patent dates on the barrel are most likely spurious, copied from a S&W barrel. Note the "trademark" made to closely resemble the S&W trademark.

probably different inside than a S&W, though made to look as close a possible to one on the outside.

The quality of the steel used in those Spanish gun runs from "fair" to "Crap", and there's no telling which is which until performance in use proves it.

NO +P and frankly I'd be leery of how well it would hold up using standard .38 spl ammo.

If its been shot a bit over the years and still holding up, then its probably one of the "good ones".

They were deliberately made to look like S&W to enhance sales. Guns like that, were made in Spain, France, Belgium, Italy and in some South American countries. By dozens of makers, some very small, and most went away with the onset of WWII and never came back.

Agree on a Spanish made "copy" of a S&W. The patent dates on the barrel are most likely spurious, copied from a S&W barrel. Note the "trademark" made to closely resemble the S&W trademark.

probably different inside than a S&W, though made to look as close a possible to one on the outside.

The quality of the steel used in those Spanish gun runs from "fair" to "Crap", and there's no telling which is which until performance in use proves it.

NO +P and frankly I'd be leery of how well it would hold up using standard .38 spl ammo.

If its been shot a bit over the years and still holding up, then its probably one of the "good ones".

They were deliberately made to look like S&W to enhance sales. Guns like that, were made in Spain, France, Belgium, Italy and in some South American countries. By dozens of makers, some very small, and most went away with the onset of WWII and never came back.
It has a magnetic pull equal to my 24/47 Mauser barrel with a semi decent magnet that used to hold a saltwater powerhead in place.

That's probably a good sign that the steel is at least mostly steel. The barrel looks absolutely pristine (to be fair I did clean it nicely) but there's no pitting rusting cracking chipping or cuts which also likely suggests it has a decent amount of quality to be that nice after about 100 years now.

I'm not an expert by any means. I only onow what I can see. But from what I can see it's decent.

EEEEEK.....that gun is loaded.
The gun does not appear to pointed at anyone; nor is it being manipulated by the OP. It is simply a stationary gun being photographed. It's no more dangerous than a holstered gun; i.e., no danger at all unless an earthquake shakes the gun off the table, causing it to fall on the hammer. Even then, the chance of a discharge can't be very great.

To be fair. It seems very solidly constructed. And if it would explode after being shot then how is it that it lasted this long. Hasn't exactly been on a mantle for years. The previous owners even bothered putting on custom grips....

That being said. It probably would explode with +P or high pressure rounds.

The gun does not appear to pointed at anyone; nor is it being manipulated by the OP. It is simply a stationary gun being photographed. It's no more dangerous than a holstered gun; i.e., no danger at all unless an earthquake shakes the gun off the table, causing it to fall on the hammer. Even then, the chance of a discharge can't be very great.
I imagine it might go off if I had chucked it at the pavement and it landed on the trigger lol.

But yeah. Not really an eek worthy picture.

We don't even get quakes here. Just hurricanes.... and alligators.

Watch out for them gators. They can shoot a coin in the air at 50 paces.

It's one of the better Spanish guns of the type.
I wouldn't shoot anything more powerful than 148 Gr. wadcutters.
The magnetic pull of steel has nothing to do with it's strength, BTW.

I have 125gr Hornady XTPs in there right now. How are those? Too much pressure?

And as far as the magnetic pull goes, if it were a lower concentration of steel like "pot metal" or some sort of garbage alloy it would have a weaker pull. It certainly isn't a fantastic test but it gives me at least some idea of the quality of the barrel.

The magnet test might work for stainless steel alloys. SS alloys used for guns and knives, for example, have some iron for strength and edge holding ability. Then there are non-magnetic or marine SS alloys which have very little iron. There are many variations between these two.

Iron doesn't alloy with all other metals. You won't find iron in pot metal. ( I don't think)

I could make a joke but seeing as how this is a VERY serious forum, I will control myself. I surely don't want to spoil someones day.

The magnet test might work for stainless steel alloys. SS alloys used for guns and knives, for example, have some iron for strength and edge holding ability. Then there are non-magnetic or marine SS alloys which have very little iron. There are many variations between these two.

Iron doesn't alloy with all other metals. You won't find iron in pot metal. ( I don't think)

I could make a joke but seeing as how this is a VERY serious forum, I will control myself. I surely don't want to spoil someones day.
I like jokes. Joke away.

That being said. It probably would explode with +P or high pressure rounds.

WE say explode and grenade a lot, but the reality is that while it does sometimes happen its quite rare IF the gun is fired with loads over its rated strength. What usually happens is something breaks. Cracks. bulges stretches, rarely "explodes".

Now I'm talking about shooting over pressure loads, NOT EXTREME overloads. SAAMI specs .38Spl +p as 15% higher pressure than standard loads. A non +p rated gun MAY survive a lot of +p ammo, OR it may have some kind of failure. It RARELY grenades. However, something like a double charge is a drastically different matter!

I have 125gr Hornady XTPs in there right now. How are those? Too much pressure?

XTP is Hornady's name for a given bullet. You need to check what the pressure of the load is. If its standard .38SPL with a good bullet it should be ok. If its higher (such as +p) then its PROBABLY too much and not a good idea to use it.

And, as far as ":eek: a loaded gun!" I can't see that. All I can see is case RIMS so it MIGHT have loaded ammo, or it might not...

Now, if there was a pic of the front of the cylinder, that would be another matter. :D

WE say explode and grenade a lot, but the reality is that while it does sometimes happen its quite rare IF the gun is fired with loads over its rated strength. What usually happens is something breaks. Cracks. bulges stretches, rarely "explodes".

Now I'm talking about shooting over pressure loads, NOT EXTREME overloads. SAAMI specs .38Spl +p as 15% higher pressure than standard loads. A non +p rated gun MAY survive a lot of +p ammo, OR it may have some kind of failure. It RARELY grenades. However, something like a double charge is a drastically different matter!

XTP is Hornady's name for a given bullet. You need to check what the pressure of the load is. If its standard .38SPL with a good bullet it should be ok. If its higher (such as +p) then its PROBABLY too much and not a good idea to use it.

And, as far as ":eek: a loaded gun!" I can't see that. All I can see is case RIMS so it MIGHT have loaded ammo, or it might not...

Now, if there was a pic of the front of the cylinder, that would be another matter. :D
I'd have to be remarkably inebriated or very high to double charge a casing considering that the Lee Perfect Powder measurer only gives you (about) as much as you set it to per crank.

That being said accidents do happen so who am I to discount them.

But on a serious note, the Hornady XTP has an advertised muzzle velocity of 900fps. So in actuality it probably has a MV of 820-870.

As for the pressure of the cartridge measured in anything other than muzzle velocity.... couldn't find much data.

OK .. OK Let me put my unfunny joke about the gun being loaded in perspective.

I you watch YouTube videos concerning firearms, the host will often waste valuable time making sure the firearm is safe before getting into what the video is all about. It's like they need to assure people that they will not be accidently shot through their computer screen during the presentation.

I find that to be funny.

:D:D

Back