ideas for the wife...

You called that right Dave!

I know some people argue that the .243 or rifles close to that like some of the .25s are OK for elk. Not so.

I have seen deer taken with a .22 rimfire, but there is no way that makes it a deer rifle.

And although I have owned and loved .243s for years, an elk rifle it is not!

CDOC

And yet there are hunters all over the west who successfully use the 243 on elk, year after year.

First choice? Nope.
Capable and effective within the limits of shot quality, placement and hunter competence? Yep.

I have a good friend who has spent many years hunting elk in Colorado. He hunts with a bow only, set at 47 pounds.

Yes, 4-7. He gets told all the time that it's not enough for elk, he's crazy, it shouldn't be allowed, blah, blah, blah.

He's taken over a dozen elk with less than 50lb draw weight, wounded none and shoots completely through most of them.

He knows several woman and a few men who hunt every year with 243. It makes a fine elk cartridge, if you know it's limits, just like anything else.

Gut shots and blown off legs aren't going to end well with a 47lb bow, a 243 or a 50BMG.

An animal with holes in both lungs that can't take another breath is going to be dead in 150 yards or less, with any of the above.

Having started three beginners myself, I stuck with the Handi Rifle. They're simple, versatile, accurate, affordable, and above all else safe. You can cheaply switch stocks for length of pull changes. You can affordably add a multitude of shotgun, rifle, and muzzle loading barrels to suit your game needs. I also tried the Rossi, but just don't find the accessories very available yet. I have two Handi Rifles, and love the simplicity of their system. You can also add some good quality quick detach rings to save money on barrel optics with the Weaver rail sustem. It's hard to beat if you don't know which way to go or may want to get out later.;) -7-

Scoutman:

Sorry for the delay. One of mine feels heavy to me, ok for the kids. I didn't have them weighed. When I bought the low pressure .22-250, I put it back in the box and sent it back for a factory adjustment, a new .30-30 barrel, and ejector replacement. The report that came back with it says it's 3-3.5 lbs. now. It breaks very cleanly, so I don't have any problem with that. The newer gun was originally a higher pressure .243 youth Super Light. It came with an extractor only and a short 11.5" LOP stock (the shortest available). Its trigger is obviously a little heavier, but clean breaking as well. I have since added barrels in .25-06, .30-30, .308, 28 ga., 20 ga., and the .50 cal. muzzle loader barrel. They all shoot sub-moa with factory ammo. I must say I haven't tried the newest Remington-owned versions, though. I just hope they don't change much. They're a great value.

-7-

my 15 year old son is 5' 5" tall and weighs 140#, (stature of an average woman - don't tell him I said that!) he shoots 300 Savage, 7x57 mauser, 38-55 and 30-30 with no ill effects.

Back