Ideal Sniper rifle

I was thinking of something in the $200-$300 range. I remember seeing a review of the savage with a Weaver 4-12 on it. I thought this scope might be good. BTW, how much does the sightron go for?

How about a Steyer SSG in .308 with a Schmidt and Bender 10 Tactical scope with either the Mil-Dot or they have a special retical for police snipers. Expensive outfit but worth it.

I bought a Remington 700 BDL VSSF in .308 from a friend. It came with a 6.5-20x Leupold on a Leupold one piece base and rings. I won't tell you the price but it was a real deal for me.
With 168 Hornady handloads it put 5 rounds into a ragged hole that measure .35 inch at 100 yards. Military surplus ammo stays about 1". I wouldn't hesitate to take a shot as long as I could clearly see the target and knew the wind.
Cat

Sightron Mil-Dot UPDATE

After determining the the optics were quite good but something was amiss with the Mil-Dot system, Sightron has now confirmed back to me that unlike the Army or Marine Mil-Dot systems, what Sightron has in its current scope is unique. They took a mil-dot reticle optimized for 10X and installed it in their 3 variable scopes. The norm is for the reticle to be optimized at the maximum power of the scope. Bottom line is that for those who have "learned" a military mil-dot system, the Sightron one is going to throw them off.

Good news is that Sightron is going to fix this problem. The reticule is being redesigned and should appear in their models this fall.

-=[Bob]=-

[This message has been edited by bald1 (edited February 19, 1999).]

Well I sold my Remington 700VS with Leupold Tactical 4.5-14X40 and returned the Sightron to my dealer. My Savage 10FP now wears a Leupold 4.5-14x50 Long Range Mil-Dot and I couldn't be happier! This setup is a keeper!

------------------

Rob, I'm sure at $5000 the Swarovski is a FINE scope, unfourtnatly my wife is not that a understanding woman when it comes to that much money, do they make something a bit cheaper? like in that 5-$700 range, I didn't think so...actually I'm looking for a scope to put on my Rem .223 varmint rifle, somewhere in the 4x16 range, have narrowed down to a Tasco (Sniper ?) and the Leoupold vari x 3 but am still looking, use this gun for praire dogs only and shoot in the 125-375
yard range.

Anyone interested in a discussion on sniper rifles will be greatly saddened to hear that U.S.M.C. Gunnery Sgt. Carlos Hathcock passed away this morning at 5:45am. Sgt Hathcock, who received the Silver Star for heroism in his service in VietNam, was a true American hero and will be greatly missed.

Back