Ideal Sniper rifle

Bushwhacker

Just a matter of curiosity, what would be the ideal rifle for sniper use, caliber, rifle brand and etc.What kind of scope would you use? What would be the max. yardage to use?
Never know when you might need to reach out and touch someone ;)

------------------
Justice for one,Justice for all.

Poor man's rifle out of the box would be a Remington Synthetic Varminter in .308. I'd top it with a Leupold 3.5x10mm 30mm tube Tactical scope and Leupold Mk IV base & rings. It'll do out to 600 easily.

Dealer's cost for rifle alone is about $540. Scope would cost about $500. Rings and base about $240. Go with a lesser Leupold 3x9mm (only $220). Lesser rings and base from Leupold (or Redfield Jr) would probably cost you about $50. Total cost down from $1280 excluding tax) to $810 (excluding tax).

The Savage 110 FP is a good choice also. A Little less expensive than the remington last I looked. Don't cut corners on the glass that is what makes the rifle really sing.

Take a look @ the "Cody" Rifle on my home page.
http://members.tripod.com/~stock4broker/Firearms.html

Although custom stock, the action is Mauser, 1-10 twist and TASCO X24 and set trigger. I used this rifle for denonstrations and couse of fire during presentation of the "Multiple Weapons" couse, and Counter Sniper Course at a Fed. Law Enforcement Training Center.

Alghough many do not condone the Scope, TASCO, it compared well during Army tests for a Sniper Scope and it does what it is supposed to do.

The Stock is a "modified" Fajen T-hole, 4arm cut-away, and specific pressures on the barrel and mounting pillers. It has 1/4" capability, cold shots, a 100yds and has produced one shot ""hits"" @ 1000 yd. All cold shots.

P.S. It does maintain 1/4" @ 100yd with sustained fire.

HJN

Check out www.snipercountry.com they have cook book sniper rifle info using Rem 700's and the Savge 110 (have owned both and both were outstanding rifles).

My favorite sniper is a Remington 1903-A3 .30-06, I have old WWII sniper version and it is impressive how accurate such an old rifle can shoot.

Carlin:
Have been to your page. Great page. YOu might consider a guest book also. It creates friends, lets you know who shares the same ideas.

I have met you at the USAMU and at some of the reunions. I was a member of that unit from 1974, Summer Pickup, assigned in 1977 on the Coaching Staff of Pistol.

HJN

For the money, the Remington 700 PSS in .308 has to be the best stock rifle to buy. I purchased mine 2 years ago and I am very impressed. Using the Redfield L.E.12 scope and with Federal 168 gr. match, my best is a .33-.35 3 shot group at 100 yards. With regular practice, I can keep it under .5 moa The only upgrade is a shilen trigger.

Most reveiws of this rifle find it very accurate. Again, check out www.snipercountry.com for more info. The scope of choice would be a Leupold Mark IV M1. Second would be one of the new Leupold long distance vari-x 3, variable power with target turrets. The recticles would be the mil-dot pattern.

The Remington PSS isn't much different from the Varminter and from what I can tell, only the stock is different. The advantage of the Varminter is cost (and because of the slimmer forearm, it's also easier to carry around than the PSS).

I agree the varminter and PSS are pretty much the same gun with two different marketing ploys.

On the topic of Scopes, I am a diee-hard Swarovski man, but I got a chance to look througha 40x U.S. Optics prototype while at SHOT. They have taped up a small (2'x2' max) periodic table thing(y'know.. elements...) on the wall about 200 meters away. You could read the thing with amazing clarity. You could make out the colors very sharply and read even the fine print without strain. I had used some very good scopes up to 32x and never seen this kind of clarity. It'll probably cost $5,000, but it might just be worth it if you really building the ultimate gun.

If anyone is interested I have a 700VS 308 with a Shilen trigger, Leupold Tactical 4-14X on Armament Technology 15MOA tapered shims that I could be talked into parting with. Used it with 175 gr Sierra Matchkings for long range varminting when either the distance or winds favored it over a Winchester M70V in 243 tossing 55 grainers at 3990 fps.

I just picked up a Savage 10FP 20" tube that will allow me to have a lighter weight 308 for hunting yet can double for the occasional varmint shot. So the 700VS is somewhat duplicative for me. Make a reasonable offer.

-=[Bob]=-

bald1@usa.net

Bald1, you might want to post the rifle you have for sale in the "Buy,Sell and Trade" section to get a better response.

------------------
Justice for one,Justice for all.

Bald1
After you take out the Savage could we please review it for us here. I've been thinking of picking up a left hand Savage sometime this spring and would appreciate your comments.

If you want a real low cost weapon I have a choice for you, Finn M-39 and a Soveit PU scope and mount total cost about 350, (for a really good M-39) or if you want that all Soviet feel go with a MN 91-30 with same mount and scope for about 275 you will need to either buy a bent bolt or build one but neith option is very expencive. and as an added bonus both of these rifles will still have usable IRON sights for when they are needed. ( I have an M-39 scoped out quite nice 2in at 100 yards using mill ball I hope to do better with handloads)

Flyerm14 -

Yeah, I know. Just thought here the description would confirm that indeed a 700VS properly set up can be a "poor man's sniper rifle" or long range varminting rig. Selling it only if the offer is right. I love the feel of this rig off my pedestal and bags :) !

FAL308

I popped for the 10FP for several reasons, one of which is not the stock :) which is quite functional but no H-S Precision. Reasons: the new short action, the short 20" barrel, the light weight, the manner in which the barrel is affixed to the action affording a better "true" and optimal chamber than the other "big 3" out of the box, and the several acquaintances who have 110s (including tacticals) that are uncannily accurate. Additionally the price can't be beat!

Spring time will be when I do load work ups and dial in the scope. I'll comment more then.

-=[Bob]=-

I didn't know there was a 20" barrel for the 10FP. I thought it onlt came with a 24 or 26" tube. Now I really want one!

Does anyone have any ideas for a scope. My buget dictates something less expensive then a leupold. I would prefer a mil-dot reticle.

Thanks,
PCurrent

"Less than a leupold" could be a lot of things. GIve us a price range and we can probably help you more.
Meanwhile, the Nikon Buckmaster series are great scopes for the money. I have one of their fixed 4x's.

I understand that the Tasco Sniper scope is a good value for the money. The Tactical Shooter did a writeup on it and they liked it. It costs about $400-500.

PCurrent,

For what its worth I put a Sightron 4-16x Mil-Dot on the 10FP. It is not a Leupold Tactical but from the varmint hunters using Sightrons, I have high hopes.

You're right about the tube length for the 10FP... 20" wasn't in the catalog. For that matter neither is the "4X4" 223 20" model that is essentially a tactical, setup for pickup truck and SUV rifleracks.

-=[Bob]=-

[This message has been edited by bald1 (edited 02-11-99).]

Back