Ideal cartridge for AR15 type rifle for self defense

Ideal for what? There are too many variables so you weigh the pros and cons, pick something and practice with it a lot more than you think you need to.

Anything from a 9mm to a .458 Socom could be ideal for some set of parameters. I am comfortable with my choices given my variables, knowledge. skillset and practice regimen.

There are some answers in this thread that I would argue are poor choices and others I would agree are good choices, for the best balance of pro and con. But I will also admit that my personal choices have changed based on changes in my set of variables. For instance, I got rid of my .380 pistols for SD and my magnum rifles for hunting so I have essentially loped off the ends of the spectrum.

Someone mentioned "suppressed"...if that is an option for you, suppressors are a good idea and mitigate some of the downsides of higher pressure cartridges indoors while adding a little weight. They do even better with PCCs.

Just get a decent AR in the old stand by 556/223 and quit thinking about it, anyone who gets hit with it ain't gonna yell back that you should have brought a bigger gun. You'll be well armed. :cool:

Something else to keep in mind with a .22 caliber AR is it's a simple bolt carrier change and magazine and you can shoot .22 Long Rifle. Yeah, it's not going to be pinpoint at 100 yards, but it'll be effective out to 20 yards with a rabbit or other small game.

5.56 77gr mk262 or equivalent.

I find it to be the most accurate 'hot' cartridge out of my carbines and the heavy for caliber bullet has better long distance performance.

It's also the round of choice for special forces and VBSS professionals out of both long range and SBR type weapons.

75gr TAP would be the second choice option for me.

Any good quality 77gr or 75gr match ammo as plan C & D respectively.

55gr M193 a distant plan E.

I would not choose m855 unless I had absolutely no other choice.

For the sake of SHTF discussion, .223 is quite an effective killing round on medium-sized game. There are several heavy factory hunting loads (Barnes 70gr TSX is beastly) and a large amount of really heavy options for handloaders. I'd have no problem taking head-shots on bear or moose with an everyday 55gr FMJ or straight lung-heart shots with 55gr SP's. I'm not necessarily going to be worried about clean ethical kills nor caliber limitations of my state when I'm hunting to feed my family during the apocalypse.

Back