Ideal 7.62 / .308 rifle?

Well, having never fired a bolt shotgun in 20ga. , I cant make any comparisons, but my Sako kicks a little more than my Model 70 in .308. The reciever has to be drilled and tapped by a gunsmith before you can mount a scope, it wont take standard rings and bases.
As with any surplus rifle, check the condition of the bore out before you buy.

cornered rat~

Also treat all surplus 7.62x54 rounds as if they are corrosive. The only ammunition that I would feel safe firing as non-corrosive would be Norma, but it costs too much.

Gunguy is right about the scope mounting...which is a shame, but for sheer authenticity and for training yourself in good rifle skills, you can't beat it. I personally like the open sights on most russianv longarms.

I hope you get this rifle--keep us all up to date about your progress! :)

Cornered Rat,

I purchased a 91/59 Moisin Nagant
carbine a few gun shows ago for $65 in new condition. I wasn't really looking for a Nagant but a rifle in new condition for $65, who could say no? It is a carbine so it probably kicks a bit more than the one you were looking at but I do not find it objectionable at all. I am not terribly recoil sensative. I enjoy shooting my Jungle Carbine for extended periods so take it for what it's worth. The rifle shoots quite well with the iron sights. Scope mounting kits are available for about $40 from many catalogs but do require some gunsmithing. I intend to purchase one. I would say buy it. The Finnish models are supposed to be the best. Ammo is cheap, the rifle is cheap, how can you go wrong. I enjoy shooting surplus military every bit as much as my current hi tech toys.

[This message has been edited by Jaeger (edited March 04, 1999).]

For a .308 Riffle I'd opt for Sako TRG-21 and a decent scope. Lots of acessories are avable allso. Good second is Accuracy International's equivalent modells.

Cornered rat: One option is to use pistol scope in front of the receiver, for M-N applications.

Gattling

OK.. personally I like the Scout idea for a "general purpose" rifle for obvious reasons (it was designed as such from the ground up). Following is a post off another BB from back in Aug of 98.

- - - Start of Post - - -

"According to Savage Arms' VP of marketing/Sales they are going to be producing a Scout rifle of their own.

They intend to introduce the 10FCM in the 1999 product year. While the initial offering will be right handed only, they're planning an 10FLCM if the 10FCM flies. I
think that'll be a given.

Here is some information (this is NOT final, and is both approximate and subject to change disclaimer disclaimer disclaimer....)

Length: 40 3/4 inches
Weight: 6-6 1/4 lbs (sans scope)
Caliber: .308 Win., .243 Win. and 7mm-08 Rem.
Capacity: 4 + 1 (detachable 4 round magazine)

B-Square forward mount (no scope provided)
Auxiliary Iron Sights
Three point sling
No Bipod
Price: $500-$700 (TBD)

Asked whether the buttstock magazine will hold loose rounds or a charged magazine, the only answer was "no," so have to assume there will be no built in ammo storage.

I'm sure Cooper will make considerable hay in pointing out all the shortcomings of the Savage design and making Steak/Hamburger or Porsche/Chevy comments, but that's to be
expected. At a third the price of a Steyr scout, I think I'll live without the integral bipod (which strikes me as failure prone anyway) and instead have one in my car,
one in my girlfriend's truck, one at home... you get the idea. Besides, they're at least seriously considering a left-hander which is more than I can say for Steyr who are
waffling and making very un-promising noises about a lack of interest.

Frankly, there's still a LOT about the Steyr offering that I like and the Savage is mere 'vapourware' at this point, but there are two points of importance here:

1. A North American maker is finally taking the scout seriously.

2. Steyr should pay attention to this. They may not really be in competition - different market 'niches,' but if one can't GET Porsche with the steering wheel on the proper side, one must seriously consider a Chevy. Also, you can overstretch the analogy. Guns are not cars and it is not impossible for Savage to win this market.

- - - End of Post - - -

I haven't seen anything else on this thread but you may want to call Savage and inquire as to the status of this.

------------------
Schmit, GySg, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Scmidt-
Look for my post on the Shot Show: The Good, the Bad and The Ugly. (Try a search with the term Ugly in the title.)

The Savage does indeed have a market. However, with glass and tripod it hits $1300. The fit and finish is nothing compared to the Steyr. This does not mean I'd scoff at someone carrying a Savage into the field.

Rich

I wouldn't laugh at anybody who can outshoot me and my Remington with a Savage (or anything else). It's the shooter, not the gun which makes a world of difference.

History provides an abundance of examples where superior training and tactics overcame equipment and numerical inferiority.

Humbly submitted,

Gary

Schmit,

I may have pointed this out before but there is already another rifle that is an "off the rack" Scout (for all intents and purposes). That rifle is the Browning BLR "Lighning".

Its a carbine length rifle with detachable magazines that falls well within the weight limitations of Coopers Scout.
Its a lever action, but Cooper never said it HAD to be a bolt.
The BLR is a beautiful piece of work. Its got a rotary bolt that locks up more rigidly than any other lever action - the accuracy is surprisingly good. Its now available with an aluminum reciever that shaves even more weight off the product.
I sold mine a few years ago and I still regret it. I will own another one day and I'll set it up as a Scout.

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

Hey, Jeff Thomas! Another Jeff, Cooper, started the "Scout" concept by that particular name. Some ten (?) years back, as I vaguely recall.

The idea is for a lightweight and quick-handling general-purpose rifle. He preferred the .308 as the all-round compromise cartridge. Ghost-ring iron sights, with a low-power, long eye-relief scope mounted in front of the receiver ring.

The concept lends itself to very fast target acquisition. The .308 was originally designed for shorter barrel-lengths, which helps control weight--along with the shorter action.

For hunting or self-defense, most folks buy way too much magnification--which is heavy. Cooper doesn't care for variable-power scopes, and from my own experience a 2-1/2X scope will handle most hunting needs inside 200 yards. (Yeah, I use a 3X9...Usually sittin' on 3X.)

Anyway, that's the basics of it.

Art, thanks. The 'Scout' is exactly the concept I'm looking for. I've been pretty impressed with the weight of an M1A / M14, so the weight consideration sounds right on.

BTW, Browning has apparently pi ... er, upset one fellow so badly he actually got a domain name and created a web site to tell all of us about his lousy shotgun experience: http://www.browningguns.com/ . One thing about the 'net, it sure gets the word out efficiently, whether it is good news or bad!

[This message has been edited by Jeff Thomas (edited March 14, 1999).]

As for the Mosin thing, I have a friend who has had an SA marked, Sako barreled M91 converted to the traditional Mosin-Nagant sniper pattern. He had the original mount and scope attached, and the orginal turned down bolt handle (ran about $80, as I recall). Jim Caudell (sp?) did the work. It's an impressive rifle and shoots very well. Well worth the $220 he has invested in it. Recoil is very managable, more shove than jolt. It's a sweet shooting gun.

Savage has their scout on theeir web page. What it lacks in refinments, it makes up for in price and choice. You choose the scope, sling, bipod ect. to add. For those of us who disagree on minor points with Cooper, it's a good idea.

Jeff

For a site that deals specificly with the Scout (Descriptions/Requirement, Col Coopers Thoughts, Steyr's Rifle, News releases, etc) check out...

<A HREF="http://home.sprynet.com/~frfrog/project.htm"TARGET=_blank>Steyr Scout Home Page</A>

------------------
Schmit, GySg, USMC(Ret)

[This message has been edited by David Schmidbauer (edited March 14, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by David Schmidbauer (edited March 14, 1999).]

Schmit,
Thanks for clueing me in to this board. Looks great. Thought I'd find you here, but I'm suprised you're not singing the praises of the AWP.<G> Guess it doesn't quite qualify as a "general purpose" rifle...more of a "varmit rifle."<WG>

Aaaaa RAJ! Glad you found us (and I found you new post).

Nope... the AWP doesn't quite qualify. It is more of a aaaaaaaaa purpose specific rifle. Not very quick to handle in brush, the scope has a limited field of view up close, it is friggen heavy, etc.... BUT ohhhhhh when you need to make that one shot..... :D

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)

So far as the .308 goes, try the new Savage Scout. It's difficult to get in .308 & I had to take one in 7mm-08 because all the distributors around here had already sold out of the .308 models. I put a Leupold 4X EER scope on top & a Harris Bi-pod & STILL have only about $800.00 in it - a far cry from the Steyer @ over $2,000 ! My Savage shot about an inch @ 50 yds. right out of the box (after sight alignment). I'm now experimenting with various bullet weights, loads, etc. to see what it REALLY likes. For the $, you can't beat a Savage, IMHO.

Back