Idea for a Marlin 336

custom

Grizzly Custom will do a lot to a lever, as will (I think) Dave Ray Clark (?) DRC guns. But as noted, you will pay for it.

Somebody already sells a synthetic stock set for M94' and 336's, I think. But a can of truck bedliner is cheaper. I've lost more than one hood from a front sight....except the one from my Grandad's M88, which I looked for for an hour as a teen ager. It is now epoxied in place.

I hate buckhorn rear sights..........and plus one to a XS peep and ramp front, or a set of Skinners.

As I get older, I've noticed that the rifles I hunt the most, are short and light.

3"-5" ain't gonna make or break ya unless improperly prepared when stalking...

No, not gonna make or break ya but it works both ways. An extra 4" in length ain't gonna make or break things either. But obviously someone's never felt how the handling of a gun can change with just an inch or two off the barrel let alone four. It's all in what you like and I like shorter, quicker guns.

For those of you posting about ruining or changing a perfectly good gun, get a grip. Rifles don't come in one size fit's all, I don't have one rifle in factory trim. Are they ruined? Heck no, they're about 10 times better now. It's not like run of the mill 336's are collectors or rare. In 100 years after we're all dead and gone the value of such a mod might ding the value A LITTLE but 16" Marlin .30-30's are rare enough that if it's done well this modification may actually increase it's value on today's market.

For the record: This mod can be done WELL at home with some basic tools although I'd tend to go more like 17" on the barrel in case you make a boo-boo and need to get some professional help. OP needs to go do some reading over at leverguns.com.

cabinoct008.jpg

Started with a slightly rusted Glenfield 30 at Cabelas with a broken front sight.

A hacksaw and some black spray paint and this what you get.

Total investment of $140.00

at home

Walked into a shop quite a few years back, and there was a very peculiar Marlin 1894 .44 mag on the wall. It looked like it shrunk, both ends.

Conversation yielded that it was the result of too much Budweiser and a Dremel tool while watching westerns!

It didn't look too bad, but the story was it needed recrowned.

The front sight hood slides right off. I take mine off of my GG when I go hunting and put it back on when I get home to protect it from being bumped around the house.

Back