I Wish Glock Felt Better

I have Springfield XD9 MOD2s that fit my hand well. I had a Sig P320 that fit well also. I have a Smith M&P 2.0 9mm with 17 rd magazines that fits too.
A couple people suggested a grip modification on the Glock. That might be an option.
As for 10 vs. 17 rounds, the large-capacity magazine is cheaper and fits more platforms than the smaller one.
If other high capacity guns fit you better, why go with Glock? You have choices, find the one that fits you best.

I know Glock has been around and proven ultra reliable. The only question to me is whether the S&W and others are just as reliable. That to me, is the ultimate question. I'll get use to and get over the little uncomfortable of the blocky feel if it is more reliable.

Note, my definition of reliability is NOT just with one specific brand and model of bullets. It has to be reliable with very weak rounds, AND with JHP with wide mouth. Find bullets that is most prone to failure and make sure it's reliable.

It's the MARGIN of reliability that is important. I test with weak reloads that is so weak the shell barely comes out of the ejector port. I tested with wide mouth JHP like Winchester Silver Tip.

Last edited:
Something I've learned over the years is that comfort doesn't always equal the best shootability in a firearm. Just because something feels amazing in your hand doesn't mean that you will shoot it best. The same concept applies in reverse. Glocks may not be the most comfortable to hold but I shoot them better than most other pistols.
I found the same log ago. Some of the "feel good" grips are more rounded and can have a tendency to slip while shooting while I don't find that happening with my Gen 2 Glock 19 but I never had a problem with the whole 2X4 Glock grip feel anyway. It is also very easy for me to get my Glock 19 grip correct right out of the holster.

Luckly there is such a tremendous amount of choices these days that there should be something that works great for just about everybody.

I have dainty little girl hands. Strong, just small. I carried a 1911 for 15 years. Then we were issued Glocks.

A Glock, for me, is like holding on to the wrong end of a baseball bat. I shot them fine. I always aced quals. But, I was always concerned about holding on to in if my hands were slippery or, I had to fight for it.

Now, retired, I only shoot single stacks. Or, revolvers. They just fit my hand better.

I did pick up a P365. Sig did some magic getting a double stack that thin.

But, if it doesn’t fit your hand, comfortably, walk away. I can tell you how fantastic my 10.5 W running shoes feel. But, if you’re a size 8E you won’t enjoy them nearly as much as I do.

I was never a Glock fanboy. Got issued one 15years ago, still issued one now. I was not a fan of how they felt with I got one, but I didn't have any choice, just had to get used to it.

After a while the glock got normal to me and felt natural, and not other guns felt too small, or the grip angle felt wrong.

I would not say I am a fanboy now. I think they are great guns. I think they are easy to work on, easy to maintain, reliable, but not great in the asthetics department. a good working gun. But there are lots of guns that do all those things and look really good doing it, or fit my hand better. Glocks are just so darn practical, they are hard to pass up.

I have used Glocks in a number of courses on defensive firearm use over thousands of rounds. They generally worked well for me and after all my years of using them despite them not being the best fit for my hand I often shoot them quite well, and even better than some pistols that would appear to fit my hand better. Now the trick there is to have an apples to apples comparison I would have to shoot those other pistols for years, too, otherwise it’s not a fair comparison.

The market seems full of generally very reliable firearms (some of which in my use were more reliable than Glocks in certain situations), with the list of striker fired, polymer framed pistols growing year by year. If you find something else that works for you then go with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never a Glock fan and never owned one...and then I picked up a 43X. With Shield mags (as mentioned above), it is the last carry gun I will probably ever get.

I just picked up a new Glock 17 Gen 5. I like it a lot. Fits my hand well and shoots very accurately. This along with my Gen 5 G-19, and an older Gen 3 G-22.

Glocks were in the hands of the majority of shooters at my last IDPA match, last Saturday. I was shooting a Sig P320 Max. I lot of guys shooting open sight Glock's finished ahead of me.

I stress finding the most reliable one, then live with it and get use to it. If two are just as reliable, of cause choose the one you feel more comfortable, but don't give up the best one just because it's "uncomfortable".

I bought guns for their virtues, never even consider whether it's comfortable in my hands. If I even think about comfort for a second, I would never buy the Freedom Arms 22mag that is my favorite if I want to carry out and don't want to think about the size and weight. They are GREAT guns, 1,300fps under 4oz and fit in the palm. I learn how to shoot it and hold it.

Now, for deep concealment, the bulk of the butt of a double stack can become a problem. I would go with single stack just for that reason. It is important that people don't see the gun in this case. That's the reason I still keep my Walther PPKS. Nothing to do with comfort. In fact, I don't even recall whether the PPKS is comfortable in my hands. I just never notice this kind of things.

Honestly, to me, all the double stack handguns feels less comfortable, not just Glock. I don't think my S&W 659 feels any better than the Glock. I doubt the S&W M&P and the other ones with double stack feel that great in the hand. They all have big butts!!! People willing to give up 15 to 17 rounds capacity for comfort?

Last edited by a moderator:
I too do not like the feel of my gen5 19.

The VP9 is a very comparable gun to what you were looking at. I got the 19 for smallest in class. If looking at the 17, I would say look extremely hard at the VP9.

If you are comfortable with it, an upgrade to the upgrade VP9 is the walthers.

But VP9 is flat shooting and similar sized. All are optics ready now with 17rnd mags. Sight options are horribly limited for the new "2020" VP9s.

I sold my VP9 because of a false reset that apparently all do not have.

Last edited:
After several years of carrying a G19 (arguably the most popular Glock of all), I got a Shield 1.0. It fit my hands much better than the G19, I shot it better, and it was more reliable than my G19. We live in a Golden Age of carry pistols, and I have no reason to settle for a Glock.

Last edited by a moderator:
I added Talon grips to my 19 after 20+ years of carry. It helped a lot.

I'm waiting on the compact Masada. :D

Last edited:
Long time Glock fan here, also owned a few different versions of the M&P. The M&P definitely felt better in my hand, just didn't like the trigger.

I've carried a Glock 26, 36, 19 and now a Shadow Systems MR920L and they all carry great and work great. While other grips can be more comfortable I think something that is being overlooked, at least in my opinion is that the Glock grip isn't as comfortable it still is NOT uncomfortable. Its just a funny angle at first and maybe has more plastic in some places than is needed. The 36 is maybe an exception in my mind because with 230 grain defensive ammo it was not pleasant to shoot. It also did not have great parts compatibility with other models, one of the reasons I don't own it any more.

This might be a bold statement that will get flamed but I'll stand by it. I think at this day and age the "reliability" argument is overstated, especially here comparing modern pistols. Any firearm can malfunction the next time you shoot it or 10,000 rounds down the road. If you've shot something enough to know that you are not comfortable carrying it due to reliability then don't carry it. If you've shot it enough to be comfortable with its reliability then carry it, but it very well still might go "click" instead of "boom" the next time you pull the trigger. Having a plan to survive that next couple seconds is far more important than "only" carrying a gun that has never malfunctioned.

As someone who started with Glocks a LONG time ago, I always felt "inconvenienced" by their grip size. My hands a beefy-wide but not with gargantuan fingers and those thick grips just do not work that well for me. Once the SIG P365 came out, the G-26 went into the safe. Once I decided to have more fun with the 1911 platform, the G17 went back in the safe. I even prefer the S&W M&P 2.0 over the G-19 so much, the G19 was sold. None of the Glocks were troublesome, as others have mentioned, they just didn't fit MY hands quite right. If they fit you, great!

Back