I Wish Glock Felt Better

Eddiejoe

I have owned and shot Glock pistols and they are fine guns, so this is not a Glock-bashing post.

I recently held one of their single-stack pistols, and it felt good, but only holds 10 rounds.
I held a Gen4 G17, but it was toooooo blocky in my hand.

I want to like them because they have a great parts network, their mags are compatible with other platforms like the Keltec Sub 2000, Ruger PCC, etc.

Not every gun fits every person.

When I first got into firearms, the choices were very limited compared to what's available today. Sometimes a purchase was based more on what was available in the general format you needed than what worked best/fit best. You got lucky if the gun you needed worked for you, pointed well for you, or could be easily modified to fit.

The selection these days is really amazing.

I agree with JohnKSa. We live in a Golden Age of carry pistols. There are tons of excellent carry pistols out there right now, so there's no need to accept a pistol that doesn't fit you.

I had a Gen 4 G19. While it was a very good gun, and I loved it for a while, it never did fit my hands quite right. Then I bought a S&W Shield. The difference in hand fit was night and day.

I like Glocks and their grip. Have had a G17 Gen3 for quite a few years, and love it.
Problem is, I couldn’t resist a police surplus G22 Gen4 with night sights for an incredibly cheap price…
Come to find the Gen4 grip, with no backstrap installed, fits my hand noticeably better. Plus, I like the Gen4 grip texture.
While the Gen3 grip works for me, the Gen4 is better all around.

I carried Glocks as an issued sidearms for 23 years. While I shot them well they never fit my slightly below average sized hands. Then Glock came out with the G48. Finally! a Glock made for me! I have no concern about the ten round capacity. The S&W Shield Plus is also a great fit so I have both.

My daughter and I have drastically different hands but regularly practice blind drills with everything we own, and compete in USPSA with G17 and XD. We carry G43 and Shield. I'll throw my 1911 into the mix now and then as well.

We've never had an issue with the grip, and I can't say any one is better than another. The only reason I choose my G43 for EDC is it fits in my pocket and I barely notice it.

Several years ago I was talking with a young cop at a public range. I was shooting my Glock 23. He said his department had recently gone to Glocks. Everyone hated them. Everyone's qual scores went up. Frankly, the traditional plow handle grip on revolvers is less comfortable for me, but it's not that hard to adapt your grip.

I'm curious-- assuming you're neither in law enforcement nor a counter-terrorist unit, why is that a negative?

I am neither, and my take on it is, when a gunmaker puts certain feature on a gun in order to appeal to some segment of the buyer's market, its a positive thing.

When the gunmaker is required by law to have certain features in order to be legally sold or possessed, its a NEGATIVE thing.

Choosing a pistol that holds 10rnds or less because it suits your wants and needs = good

Choosing a pistol that holds 10 rnds or less because its your only legal option = BAD

in my opinion'

I love my G48. Solved the 10 round capacity thing with Shield Arms 15 round magazines. Capacity of a G19 in a thinner and lighter package.

I am probably going to get flamed for this, but here goes anyway:

I can’t help but chuckle at modern shooters that are unwilling, or unable, to adapt to something as relatively minor as different grip ergonomics. Way back when, I wanted a 1911 and picked up a Colt Commander. Trouble was, I am left handed and a stock 1911 is a right handed gun. I didn’t have the money to send it out to have an ambidextrous safety installed (this was in 1979) and that wouldn’t address the magazine release anyway.

I really, really wanted to use that Commander so I did the only logical thing available to me, I trained myself to shoot right handed. Here it is 43 years later and I still shoot and carry all my guns right handed. As a bonus, I am equally as proficient with my left hand.

So, where I am going with this is perhaps take a step back from looking for a gun that is ever so just right, you know, the "Goldilocks syndrome". Instead of complaining about the grip, if you otherwise like a particular gun, teach yourself to adapt to it. It's really not all that hard, I know because if I managed to do it, I am sure that anyone else could do it too.

I have medium sized hands at best, nevertheless I can comfortably shoot various handguns in my collection ranging from a I frame S&W Terrier up to my HK USP.45. I don’t even mind shooting some of my, shall we say more oddball guns like my C96 Mauser.

Last edited:
There are numerous shops recontouring Glock butts for greater comfort.
There are companies making faux Glocks that take all or most Glock parts but look and feel different.

I want to like them because they have a great parts network, their mags are compatible with other platforms like the Keltec Sub 2000, Ruger PCC, etc.

It is a bigger cottage industry than you seem to realize. You can have a Glock to like.

Never bought a glock till several years ago, due to the 2x4 grip. Finally got a g19 just to have one. Using what the exspurts say how to grip it, couldn't get around the jerk after trigger let off. Either just poor technique, or smaller hands. Finally tried rotating my grip to get better trigger pull . Am right handed and rotated my grip to left to allow trigger release without jerking the front sight. It works for my shooting style.

I read the title & thought, what, is ol’ Gaston Glock under the weather? He’s got his ex-nurse & current trophy wife to keep him healthy & help him count those billions of Euros! If Glocks were for everybody they’d cost a whole lot more and they already cost a lot for us poor folks - LOL

I have owned and shot Glock pistols and they are fine guns, so this is not a Glock-bashing post.

I recently held one of their single-stack pistols, and it felt good, but only holds 10 rounds.

Start with the frame size.

Don't like the full-sized 9mm/.40, but the Compact G19/23 fit like molded clay.

Also being nylon, you can improve them.

This is a G36 slimline compact single-stack .45 ACP, that was a bit too wide in the grip...

IMG-20211101-072033080-50.jpg

So some of the grip stippling front and rear was sanded down.

And don't get hung up on round capacity.

That's what spare mags are for.

Red

But you know it's a double stack and hold 17 rounds instead of 10. Is it more important that the gun holds almost double(170%) the bullets or is it more important to be comfortable and much less bullets. Only you can answer.

I'd take the extra rounds any time of the day. Nothing is perfect in this world.

the days of (uni)form arms is gone.
1 design for 10,000 different users is how I grew up around guns.
im doing just fine.
todays weapon purchases are more like girls in a shoe store trying on 20 different shoes....
instead of a guy who goes to a hardware store and buys 5 lbs of 12 common nails.

Something I've learned over the years is that comfort doesn't always equal the best shootability in a firearm. Just because something feels amazing in your hand doesn't mean that you will shoot it best. The same concept applies in reverse. Glocks may not be the most comfortable to hold but I shoot them better than most other pistols.

I have Springfield XD9 MOD2s that fit my hand well. I had a Sig P320 that fit well also. I have a Smith M&P 2.0 9mm with 17 rd magazines that fits too.
A couple people suggested a grip modification on the Glock. That might be an option.
As for 10 vs. 17 rounds, the large-capacity magazine is cheaper and fits more platforms than the smaller one.

Eddiejoe said:

I shoot the 'core' Glocks (e.g. G17 and G19) just fine, but the grips don't feel right in my hand and I don't enjoy shooting the guns. Many firms will modify Glocks to better fit their owners and several companies make replacement frames to satisfy people who want something different from a stock Glock. I bought a Dagger pistol by Palmetto State Armory; the frame fits my hand beautifully and its other parts are compatible with the G19. The Dagger's base price of $300 is also attractive.

Back