I went in for AR parts--but came out with this!!

stagpanther

I went to one of the very small LGS's I like to support (because he doesn't hose the consumer with high transfer fees) to pick a few parts for my new blow-back AR build in 10mm, and while waiting for my paperwork to clear my eyes fell upon this in his used gun rack.

attachment.php

It's a 2015 limited-edition--one of 150--M77 trapdoor Hawkeye in 35 Whelen with 24" barrel (not sure what the twist is yet).

attachment.php

The moment I picked it up and shouldered it--I knew I simply HAD to have it. The story was the gun was "used"--being a 2015 made gun--but that it had never been used by the owner--who I guess just bought it as an investment. Upon initial cleaning a fair amount of cosmoline or similar packing grease came out--so I believe it. My heart was broken ever so slightly by a small dent I found in the otherwise immaculate stock--which itself would have been easily repairable, but it looks like someone somewhat clumsily spattered on some super-glue or similar gunk to try to cover it up--making matters a bit worse.

attachment.php

The asking price was $830-- I wasn't really going to knock the guy down simply cause I know what a struggle it is to keep going--but the gouge definitely takes away from the "like new" status--so I offered $800 and now she's mine.

I'm more of a semi-auto guy than bolt gun--though I have plenty of them as well--but to tell the truth I have no real clue what the gun may or may not be worth, and as long as it functions and shoots well I'm sure I'll be happy with it no matter what it's worth. I know there are some real experts on this forum who would have a much better idea--so how do you think I did?;):)

Attachments

• 20171220_150258_HDR.jpg
    20171220_150258_HDR.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 718
  • 20171220_150222_HDR.jpg
    20171220_150222_HDR.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 723
  • 20171220_150401_HDR.jpg
    20171220_150401_HDR.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 726
Love the gun and really like the caliber. I am on a 35 caliber kick right now.

The scratch wouldn't bother me. But if you are bugged by it try seeing if you can flick the super glue off with the point of an X-Acto knife. Try some Old English furniture polish to cover the scratch.

I bought one of those in 30-06 and without a long story the first thing I did was mess up the finish on the bottom of the forend. A big streak about 8" long. So I lightly sanded it and then blended the finish in with Minwax Satin Polyeurathane and now I promise you cannot find the repair. That was a close one. Your little spot is easily repairable.

Thanks for the feedback. I've shot a 358 win for a few years so I'm pretty familiar with the 358--a relatively underrated (I would venture to to say even misunderstood) bullet/cartridge.;)

I had to leave the store in a hurry--because seated right next to this honey was another "new-used" ruger from the same consigner in 338 RCM in a shorter sporter type barrel for around $600. A good thing I left in a hurry--because when I got home and looked it up I realized the 375 ruger--which I already own and reload for--is the parent case.

Must resist--think baseball.:D

Nice find. It's a beautiful gun chambered in an interesting cartridge. I do not have any experience with it but would love to shot one.

Thanks--I can't get over how well it fits me. : ) I've never given much thought to these before. Of course I'm finding out brass is rare, and for the first time regret not having a 30-06. lol

Beautiful rifle! Congrats on that purchase! Even without having a .30-06 (which should be an offense worthy of being flogged) brass is easy enough to find. Just offer a trade to friends of yours who doesn't reload, but shoots one! You'll be swimming in it in no time!

Bit of steam and varnish will take that indiscretion out.
Midway has lots of loaded ammo though. Hornady Superformance 200 grainers is currently on sale at $26.99 per 20.
$38.99 per 50 for Hornady brass at Graf's. Norma is twice that price. $37.99 per 25. No$ler run$ $69.99 per 50.

Bit of steam and varnish will take that indiscretion out.
Midway has lots of loaded ammo though. Hornady Superformance 200 grainers is currently on sale at $26.99 per 20.
$38.99 per 50 for Hornady brass at Graf's. Norma is twice that price. $37.99 per 25. No$ler run$ $69.99 per 50.
Thanks--I thought about getting some factory ammo just to harvest the brass--and as suggested above already have a couple hundred norma cases on the way (found them on sale at midsouth). I already have many of the powders and bullets you can use to hand-load for it--so I thought I'd just wait on the brass. I did find a neck expander die expressly for necking up the 30-06 so I'll get one of those as well. Being a "powder-hungry" cartridge I don't see firing off hundreds of cartridges a month.;):)

I had a Remington model 700 in .35 Whelen. My rifle liked 260 grain Nosler Accubonds. It was too close to my .375 H&H in ballistics out to 200 yds. so I sold the Whelen. I still have dies,brass,bullets and loaded factory ammo for it.

I have a 700 BDL 35 Whelen. Kicks like a angry mule on steroids. Due to obscene recoil, its a safe queen. I use the 340 WBY instead. It has much less felt recoil on my shoulder.

I fired 15 rounds of hornady 200gr superformance today--pretty hot load actually since it runs around 2,900 fps. Mostly to get on paper and zero the scope--hits pretty much like a 300 win mag uncompensated is the way it feels to me. Wouldn't want to shoot it all day but a box of ammo target shooting is certainly doable. My 375 ruger delivers felt recoil considerably harder so it's a matter of perspective I guess.

trapdoor" Hawkeye? That's new to me, can you bring me up to speed?

Not sure, but it seems to be a marketing term for "not a blind magazine" ..... floorplate can be opened to dump internal magazine ....... another "feature" that was at one time standard .....

"trapdoor" Hawkeye? That's new to me, can you bring me up to speed?
Used the wrong "lingo"--I said I wasn't familiar with these guns.;) I mistakenly used the reference to "trapdoor" since the floorplate for handloading the ammo is a spring loaded plate which is hinged and drops open at an angle. My apologies for using the wrong terminology.:)

Back