I want to shoot 1000 yards

Tge 62 gr bullet was shot with my ar.

Yeah, that is going to be rough at 1000 yards. Shooting at any distance, staying supersonic to the target is important because the bullet trajectory destabilizes a lot going from supersonic to subsonic.

This is why lower velocity accuracy loads that do great at 600 might do much less well at 1000, especially in cartridges such as 223 and 308.

A great site to use to predict whether your loads will work at all at 1000 yards (or any other distance) is http://www.jbmballistics.com/ballistics/calculators/calculators.shtml

Use the trajectory calculator, find the bullet you are using in the top dropdown, specify the muzzle velocity, enter the temperature and humidity (can make quite a difference) and any other relevant information.

Click Calculate and look in the 'mach' column for 1000 yards. If greater than 1, the load might do OK at 1000. If it is less than 1 it will most likely do very poorly. Ideally you will want to be mach 1.2 or higher at 1000 and you will see it is not necessarily easy with a 308 and very difficult with a 223.

The calculator will give a lot of other very good information too, such as how to dial your scope from one distance to another, both elevation and windage.

What would be recommended scope, in price range up to 1500 usd, for shooting up to 600 yards?

Also, what kind of mounts to be fitted on piccatiny rail - meaning, for this range does the scope mount should be inclined 1 moa, or similar - or this is not necessary at all, having in mind suggested scope?

I dont remember which rail I have on my rifle, but as far as scope, I use my hunting scope without problems at 600 and can see the 10 inch plate at a 1000 yards. My scope is a redfield revenge 6-18x44 . Now when I can afford it, I will get a vortex pst 6-24 x50 ffp

Oh and on my ar I have a vortex viper 4-16 x50 ( o thonk its a 50...lol) and no problem also with that one

My point is that yes a high end scope is nice but you can do without it

Last edited:
Well you've had BUBBA tell you it can be done with everything from a BB gun to a 338 lapua, I still recommend the Lapua and I do it almost everyday.:eek:

Jehu, Lapua is EXPENSIVE, both rifle and ammunition. Heck I've seen a video of a Mosin 91/30 shooting 1000 yards, for a beginner I'd choose that over a .338 Lapua, practice is key and expensive ammo makes high volume practice out of most shooters' financial reach. I personally would opt for a decent .308 bolt action, factory loaded practice ammo can be had at 1/6th the price of .338

No one is arguing that, all else being equal, .338 is one of the best 1000 yard rounds. It's just not great on a budget.

Tucker,Jehu.. 338 Lapua- It is a great 1000 yard round for hunting. As for accuracy there are to many other,Much Cheaper to load and shoot rounds out there. I know of no one that shoots target comp with a 338. I had the pleasure of shooting the Savage 338 Lapua last year,Now while it was very fun to shoot and darn Accurate, If you are just punching paper it is not the caliber to get. To many other,better and more accurate calibers to choose from.

To those coveting the 33 caliber magnums for long range accuracy, consider the test the US military conducted a few years ago with top ranked long range competitors testing several cartridges for first shot and long string accuracy when fired off ones shoulder.

The .300 Win Mag performed the best through 1500 yards range.

The .338 Lap Mag was not so good.

Why? With rifles of equal weight, the .300 ones will move less in recoil while the bullet goes down the barrel. That means the muzzle axis will move less off where it was pointed when the primer started the powder burning. In calm conditions with equal quality marksmanship and rifle/ammo accuracy, a .308 Winchester will shoot smaller groups than any 30 caliber or larger magnum when hand held against the shooter's shoulder.

Even with near 3 times as long for bullets to leave the barrel, .22 rimfire match rifles produce smaller groups shot from prone with less accurate ammo than any centerfire rifle because they move the least while the bullet goes down the barrel. And the shooter has to hold still 3 times as long after the round fires for that to happen. It's all because us humans don't position the rifle exactly the same to our bodies for each shot; we're the least repeatable part of the system.

Last edited:
.338 Lap would be neat to have but over my budget . From what I have studied the .300 Win Mag rules the 1000 yard ranges . Except in Palma wich I know very little about . I enjoy my .300 WM it shoots a easy 1/2 at 100 and is heavy enough that recoil is not bad .

Psalm7, 26 caliber cartridges (6.5x .284) have been the favorite for 1000 yard prone matches since the late 1990's. And both 26 and 24 caliber 1000 yard benchrest rifles bring home most of the marbles in that discipline.

Palma rifles around the world have to use the .308 Win cartridge with 150 to 155 gr. bullets as established by the International Palma Committee for international matches. The exception in the USA NRA rules is that sometimes the .223 Rem cartridge can be used in some matches not limited to only the .308 Win which typically allows any bullet weight.

Last edited:
Thankyou for that info Bart. I have a TRG 42 in 300WM and a TRG 42 in 338 Lapua. I am shooting both supressed which takes much of the recoil out and makes both a pleasure to shoot.Also always rested never off hand.

Let's not forget that the OP is new to all of this. He doesn't need a magnum anything. I'll again say that 223 is a good place to start. He isn't likely to win any big trophies with it, but he'll sure learn to shoot at distance with it and not develop a flinch. I wouldn't start a newbie with a 308. Maybe a 260 or one of the clones would be even better than the 223, but for that he'd really need to reload.

Then he can start reloading and use Varget, which you can't get enough of in the case to blow it up. Personally, I can't get enough of it in the case to be happy using it, since I shoot light bullets generally (hunting and paper punching).;

Ioic, my issue for a beginner is getting a good volume of practice. If you can shoot cheaper ammo for 1/4 the price, you can fire 4x the ammo on the same budget. Now, at a certain point, you need to move up to match-grade. However, until you get to the point of shooting better than an average service rifle/service ammo combination, non-match ammo/rifle doesn't hurt you that much.

you can get a savage that will hit a 50 cent piece at 800 yds for about 850 dollars.you wont get cheaper then that for for a long range gun.for 500 you can get a savage that could shoot to 400 though

start with a 500 dollar savage in 260 rem. and try shooting to 200 and work up

Ioic, my issue for a beginner is getting a good volume of practice. If you can shoot cheaper ammo for 1/4 the price, you can fire 4x the ammo on the same budget. Now, at a certain point, you need to move up to match-grade. However, until you get to the point of shooting better than an average service rifle/service ammo combination, non-match ammo/rifle doesn't hurt you that much.

I understand you, I have been there and thats why I disagree

If one thinks a beginner at long range marksmanship doesn't need fairly accurate rifle and ammo, how will he discriminate the shots cause missing his point of aim being the fault of the rifle, ammo or him? People learn and develop good marksmanship knowledge and skills a lot quicker and cheaper with good equipment to start with; doesn't have to be the best, but pretty darned good is enough.

And if anyone thinks you can get a Savage (or any rifle and ammo plus a shooter) that will hit a 50 cent piece at 800 yds for any price, how many times out of 20 will it do it? Or even come within 2 inches of hitting it? They're about 1.2" diameter which means a 30 caliber rifle and ammo has to have accuracy of no worse than 1.5" at 800 to hit one on the first shot assuming a zero's been established for the conditions and the wind's corrected for on the sight with zero error. Of course, anyone shooting any rifle enough times trying this will eventually hit that 4 bit coin.

Last edited:
If one thinks a beginner at long range marksmanship doesn't need fairly accurate rifle and ammo, how will he discriminate the shots cause missing his point of aim being the fault of the rifle, ammo or him? People learn and develop good marksmanship knowledge and skills a lot quicker and cheaper with good equipment to start with; doesn't have to be the best, but pretty darned good is enough.

Amen to that!

Back