I want to cry

I feel your pain. Believe me! When I first started hunting with a rifle, I got others to zero rifle/scope for me.To make a long and very painful story short, I missed 3 deer in a 2 hour period late one afternoon. All 3 broadside and less than 40 yards. Needless to say I didn't hunt with the rifle any more that season. I found out later that my hunting buddy had zeroed it to hit 6 inches high at 100 yards. I didn't cry, but I did cuss a whole lot:)

Last edited:
flower garden

One evening on a year with poor mast I was hunting over a food plot and deer started showing up. I started shooting...and missing, till I ran out of arrows. By that time it was dark enough to quit, and I walked out, with an empty quiver.

Next AM I slept in and went back for the shafts, took bamawife w/ me.

All those bright fletches were scatterd around that green clover field.

She says................."Looks like a flower garden"!

Thanks for the replies everybody, super glad I am not alone on this one. I honestly believe I may have just come down with a bad case of buck fever. Anywho I got a good doe last day of archery and a real big doe this past sat. Now I am antler hunting again and hopefully if I ever see that buck again I will be able to redeem myself.

Little late

But I didn't see anyone post this tip.
When looking for blood sign that's not fresh- Take a spray bottle with hydrogen peroxide in it. It will rect with blood and foam up. Make sign a lot easier to see.

good luck
(still permit season here in NJ:)

A bowhunter friend of mine once shot at a deer across a small draw, and watched it take off, limping. Knew he hit it, so pursued...for 7 miles. Finally downed it, only to discover the limp was from some old injury! He had completely missed.

Back