I want to buy a Colt BlackPowder revolver!!

Colt or Remington style

For my money, I prefer the Remington style with the top strap. They just look stronger.
I bought a Colt 1860 from my brother, took it to the range to shoot and the barrel wedge worked it's way, almost completely out. The retaining screw is a joke, because the gunsmith says that it really doesn't hold the wedge in place. Just the fact that the wedge has to be hammered in and out to take the barrel off for cleaning is a pain.
I've had the Colt sitting at the gunsmith waiting for a new barrel wedge for over three weeks (waiting for parts), I guess.
Maybe the original guns were ok, but I'll never buy another one.

I have an 1858 New Army, 44 cal (Remi style) and an Rogers and Spencer, 44 cal, also a Remi style, which I really like.

Like another commenter remarked, ' just my $0.02 worth'.

bp newby

:)

Well I am new to this myself, but my understanding is that if you use the correct load, the lack of a top strap isn't a concern for black powder. That's what I'm told

Obviously, the Remington looks much more like a modern revolver, and even Colt's later designs looked like the 1858 Remingtons. There's a reason for that- strength, and ease of use.

On my Colt (pietta), the wedge has gone from tapping (not hammering) it in and out, to being able to put it in by hand, while removal still requires a single sharp tap. I was told it would wear in, and it is. I have, let's see...76 rounds through it total, was unfired when I got it

Barrel cone to cylinder alignment is key on this pistol, from what I read. Mine seems pretty OK. I can see a gap between the cone and the cylinder when the hammer is down. If I put a piece of paper between the two and full cock the hammer, I can just slip the paper out. With the hammer down, I estimate about 0.010" gap between the cone and cylinder (I work with close tolerance all day, used to inspect parts for F-18).

In my opinion, just looking at the design as a machine, the screw that is above the barrel wedge isn't to hold the wedge by screwing it in all the way, it is to tension the spring on the wedge. You can vary the distance of the screw, the head rides the tang, and from that dynamic you adjust the tension, depending on just how far the wedge needs to be set, which apparently varies from pistol to pistol. That's just my opinion, looking at the pistol as a machine. I'm sure that when the barrel wedge was phased out, there were smiles all around!

Back