I want to add a 30-06, $600 budget...

Savage 110
Excellant gun and used they are around $300. Recently heard of one being sold at $150 and that was with a scope.

This local shop has several Remington slide action rifles in 30-06 for sale. They're excellent for the deer and bear woods. The photo shows mine in .308 with 2X-7X scope.

Mussers Outdoors 717 738 4800

TR

R7603.jpg

Last edited:
There is a package that might appeal to you.
Savage makes a "trophy hunter XP" that comes with the new nikon BDC scope, synthetic stock, and is bolt action. has the accutrigger too. I got mine for $475. While I'm not exactly a firearms expert - I thought it was a heck of a deal.

I can't report on how it shoots though, as it's still in the box.

OP here -

After looking and handling a number of 30-06's at the dealer, and taking into account the suggestions here, I ended up purchasing a Weatherby Vanguard. I also bought a bipod and the Nikon 4-12 x 40 scope. Once again I was put on "delay", so I didn't get to bring it home yet. (I'm following up with the FBI to find out why the "delays" for my last several firearms purchases. Must be some goon out there that shares my name...)

Will post up some photos when I bring it home. It's a beautiful set up, and I'm impressed with the feel of the Weatherby. Can't wait to take it to the range and sight it in. :)

Delays on the background checks, huh?
You must be a Republican... (J/K...no politics here...)

I think you'll be very happy with that choice. Don't own one, but I've heard nothing but positive feedback on them.

It is the exact same action used on the Howa 1500, and while aftermarket "goodies" aren't as prevalent as for the Rem 700 and Savage, it's gotten a lot better should you decide to upgrade to a better stock or trigger.

Please let us know how she shoots...

my new browning is amazing go look for a A bolt, promise you won't ever be disappointed crafted with perfection in japan

Looking at these what should I buy threads lately, really reinforces the idea that it's hard to buy a bad bolt action rifle these days outside of a couple "ultra-budget" choices. Since I have been looking recently I have liked the Vanguard, the T/C Icon, Tikka T3 hunter or lite, most of the Savages, The Ruger Hawkeye and American, the Model 70 is the best it's been in a long time, and Remington might be slandered here and there but seems to me they're still a solid choice.

Sent From My Galaxy S 4g Using Tapatalk

Store just called - delay was cleared. I plan to pick it up tomorrow. :D

Went to the cop shop today and was fingerprinted by a very polite officer. Sending in my prints along with a form to the FBI to look into these delays, and learn the root cause, and ultimately be issued a UPIN. I'm told then there will be no more delays.

Back