I want to add a 30-06, $600 budget...

Bellasogno

I'm looking to purchase a 30-06 for the purposes of: adding to my collection, range shooting, potentially deer hunting. While at my gun dealer, I gravitated right over to the used firearms section feeling this was where I should be looking. They have a used Remington 700 ADL for $429 at it looked/felt good to me, but before I buy this, I thought I should also be looking at new rifles, and get the experts opinions. ;)

My preferences are for bolt, synthetic stock, not a "package" with scope (I want the Nikon Prostaff BDC 4-12), accurate, decent value.

So, if your budget was $600 including tax for the rifle only, what would be your first choice?

That Remington 700 might be just what you're looking for. I've got one, in .308, that left the factory in 1983. I picked it up two years ago and it's a dandly little rifle, accurate, dependable, just a solid little package. Also, it's got lots of aftermarket support. It's hard to go wrong with a Remington 700.

Also, look at the Stevens 200. It's made on the same action as the Savage 10/110 series, and like the Remington 700 ADL, it is the entry-level Savage rifle. No frills, cheap stock, but it's got that good, solid dependable action. Lots of aftermarket support, the Stevens 200 is a sleeper. As time goes on, you can upgrade as needed, maybe a better trigger, better stock, you can make the basic action anything you want it to be. On the other hand, you might find that the base model has everything you want in a rifle.

Take a look at the newly-released Ruger American.

P1160050r-900x601.jpg

The street price should be around $400, new.

http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRifle/index.html

Here's a review: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/05/foghorn/gun-review-ruger-american-rifle/

The Mossberg 4x4 is a great value. As well as a great shooter. Even the 100 ATR. you can pick one up for under $300+tax and have enough left over to get an awesome scope....

Most WalMart stores around here carry the ADL package with scope for $420, so that rifle isn't a deal unless price is negotiable. I wouldn't be happy unless I got it for around 75% of the cost of a new one. Like mentioned there are a ton of new rifles that will get you under $600 with optics.

IMO a 4-12 power scope is more magnification than you'll need for a .30-06. The main reason I say this is because if I buy a scope over 10 power I want parallax adjustment, and you won't get that in the Pro Staff 4-12 power scope. You'll only get it if you step up to the Buckmaster scope in a 4.5-14 scope. With a good quality 3-9 scope you shouldn't have any problems hitting a target at the range the size of a deer kill zone to 600 yards once you develop the ability. Plus it would be harder to keep you on budget if you step up to a Buckmaster scope.

I was browsing rifles the other day, and played with the Vanguard Series 2... I REEEEEEALLY like a good trigger, and the VS2 has one. I am thoroughly impressed, and with it being pretty unanimously claimed and guaranteed to be a very good shooter, I think I have been sold on my next purchase. The only thing it doesn't have that I like is CRF, mauser style. That, however, is doable in my book.

I would check it out if you're looking for a new rifle, definitely worth a look!

The TC is the best buy in that price range. It is a bit more expensive than the others, but is several notches up in quality and accuracy. They run $450-$500, but are well worth the difference.

There is nothing close that meets your criteria in that price range. The others are not bad guns, and if you had a max budget of $350 or so I'd make different recommendations. But if you have a $600 budget, buy the TC

I got my Winchester Model 70 Ultimate Shadow for only slightly more $$$ than your budget...it was $680 out the door...alot more quality for only a little more money.

EDIT: I just noticed your location under your name, LOL...I'm at the Pilot just down the road (Franksville)

2012-05-21_14-03-04_624-1.jpg

Buy the RIFLE you want

Used Savage 110s in 30.06 are plentiful. The money you save by buying used can be put toward Optics or glass bedding and a trigger job.

Savage Pre-ACCU triggers are simple to adjust. Glass-bedding the action and free-floating the barrel are almost always a good things. ( I do the stock and trigger work myself)

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS TO BUY THE RIFLE YOU WANT..

I had this .30-06for sale but had to put it back in the safe and leave town to avoid a furlough. Don't know what I'm going to do with it yet as it is my 5th .30-06 in the safe. If you look around I'm sure you'll find the right deal for you.

I highly suggest a Weatherby Vanguard. Best shooting $400 rifle I have ever seen. I own one and have hunted with a couple others who used them. All shot under 1" groups with cheap factory ammo. All were 30-06.

OP here - thanks to everyone that replied. Your help & insight is appreciated. You've given me a a lot to consider before I make my purchase. Hopefully it will be this week...

I'll let 'y'all know what I bought!

Good '06 for the money

I just finished scoping a Savage 116 Weather Warrior, Accustock, Accutrigger, and a Redfield 3x9 on a Picatinny.
With Federal 150 gr 'blue box' (VitalShok?) from Wally-world. I shot a 0.400" group at 100yds. This is out of the box accuracy, which is why I got the Savage initially.
Now for the punchline.... I got my first of 2 cataract surgeries a week later! Definitely shooting with the 'Force'.
Got the second eye done last Wednesday. Going to the range Tuesday to tighten the group a bit.
I agree with the Stevens 200 recommendation. Find a used one for a hunsky, drop a Timney trigger in it, and go from there. Even if you need a barrel and stock work, you could have a great tack driver on the cheap. The action is the same as in the Savage, I believe.

Ruger American for the money.

Tikka T3 for the accuracy and quality.

Remington could be good but I'd buy new.

Excellent choice of scope btw. I have new Nikon Prostaff 3-9 X 40's with the BDC reticle on both my rifles.

Last edited:
Another vote for the Weatherby Vanguard S2. May even be able to get one in stainless steel for $600 if you look around.

Back