I WANT ONE! but, but, it's USELESS!

scoops,
Hmmm, you may have a point there. I never stopped to consider what a chain fire would be like in a mini. My repoduction Colt .36 cal muzzleloader chain fired once when a friend of mine was shooting it. Even with the small size of the Colt, his hands and other vitals were far enough away from the chambers to keep him from getting hurt. Still, it {the NAA Mini) is only using 2.5 to 3 gr of powder, and nothing says I'd have to load all the chambers. I guess I'll have to give this a lot more thought. Thanks for pointing that out.

RAE,

Do you cork off the chambers with a dab of Crisco? The crusty old timers who inducted me into the secret society of C&B shooters told me this was good medicine against gangfiring... You're right, though; one of those itty-bitty NAA C&B guns chainfiring would be a less-than-wholesome experience. :eek:

Tamara,
It's been a number of years since I played with the C&B's (Cap and Ball) revolvers, but if I remember right, I used the same lube to smear the chamber mouths that I used to lube my .58cal Muzzle loader. The guy at the Log Cabin shop in Lodi, Ohio where I bought all my muzzle loaders recommended the method. I never had a problem myself, but I foolishly loaned my Colt to a friend of mine that didn't have any experience with C&B revolvers. :( I don't think he paid much attention to the city boy(me) telling him how to shoot.
*shrug* Oh well, it wasn't me with the sore hands.
I hate to sound cruel since he is still a good friend, but I told him and he didn't listen.
tyro,
A chainfire or a gangfire is a multiple dischage of a muzzle loading revolver. Sparks from one chamber flash over into others and set them off out of battery. Bad JuJu. If your hand are out in frot of the chambers when it happens (notice I said when, not if since it happens pretty often), you can get hurt pretty bad.

A chainfire or a gangfire is a multiple dischage of a muzzle loading revolver. Sparks from one chamber flash over into others and set them off out of battery. Bad JuJu.

On the other hand, if you have a four-barreled pepperbox (individual barrels for each chamber), and it was, say, the Fourth of July, hypothetically, you might try and deliberately induce gangfires by loading heavy powder charges with just a dry patch and no ball or grease, just to see the pyrotechnics.

Hypothetically... ;)

Ahem,

Hypothetically... I agree ;)

On another note,
darn you girl! :D I read that "on a mountaintop" under your name and I can't for the LIFE of me remember all the words to the Davey Crocket Theme. LOL!

Back