I want a shotgun...

I'm planning on getting a Mossberg 590 in September. Hey KingKnives, you happen to have a model number for one with the lug, or is that a custom job?

BAB: Understand you're leaning toward a pump action, and I agree...the 870 is the way to go. If, however, you start to consider a semi-auto, recommend you seriously conside the Benelli Super 90...I've got a pre-ban (8rd mag) with ghost ring sights, standard stock. GREAT shotgun...recoil operated, will handle up to 3" mags. It will cost more than you're currently thinking about spending, but again, only if you start considering a semi...then it may be worth an extra wait to put enough $ away for it.

Good luck!
Mike

I too like/have the Mossberg 590. Action seemed just as good as the others to me, but then I am not tuned to the subtleties of the shotgun. Personally, I like the evil "black rifle" look on any firearm. Okay, the bayo lug was the real clincher. Poke poke poke, "Hey, stop sticking me with that!", "Okay, BLAM!!"

Ozzie223, I think the bayo lug is standard on the 590 series. Mine came with it.

kingknives, Okay, Mossberg says no ghost rings AND a heatshield. So how did you get one on there? Is it an aftermarket? Or did you actually remove the front site? Thx.

LL

I like the remington 870 express, which handles 2 3/4 + 3" shells. there is a version which comes with an 18"cylinder bore, witha single bead site and a synthetic stock, the finish is flat. In my area they sell new for around $279.00......This is just fine the way it is sold and there is a wealth of parts and information on the shotgun around, as you get more experienced or want to improve the shotgun you can, the options could include...big head safety button, hi-visibility follower, mag extension-this requires having the bump in the mag tube tapped out, and the inevitable flashlight forearms with its own unique properties, and night sights, and of course the obligatory side saddle to hold the 6 extra rounds........if you choose to go with a semi auto, you need to check into the beretta 1201 and excellent shotgun out of the box, they are light weight, easy handling, good sights and fast recovery time and I recently saw one nib for $495.00 at a gun show-im not sure were that price is in the hi-lo range of prices for that shotgun. there is also a bennelli, it has all the same attributes of the beretta, handling/weight etc., but its cost is considerably more in my area. There is also the remington 1187--it is heavier then the above mentioned shotguns, but is a well made and nice domestic shotgun, like the 870 a million parts around for them...the prices in my area are hi600-hi 700's ...with regards to bore size stay with a smooth bore as it will be the most versatile and the stock capacity of the guns above will be sufficent, and you can increase the 870's one or two rounds depending on the barrel length you settle on, Id stay with an 18 inch cyl bore my self......For ammo, and it will depend were you live and what is around that can be harmed if you miss, but I generally avoid the 3"magnums and stick with the federal reduced tatical loadings and they pattern well and have proven to be effective---I use to think that bird shot would be ok in a house to eliminate over penetration and possible damage to someone else--Ive changed thinking on that recently to believe that if a bg gets behind something i want the ability to take him out of the picture and not have the shot stopped by say furniture etc...one of the best things you can do for yourself is to find a competent instructor on the shotgun or at the very least read up on it from the likes of John Farnam, Massad Ayoob, and John Shaw, and there are many others.....be sure and check out malfunction clearing, reloading under stress, the way to carry within a building and the safe use of a flashlight attached to the forearm........fubsy.

[This message has been edited by fubsy (edited August 10, 1999).]

Ozzie: The 590 is a Mil-Spec Shotgun and as far as I know, all have the bayonet.

Lightning: My first 590 (a blue version)came with a heat shield. Had to sell it, got the parkarized version later on and it didn't. I ordered one direct from Mossberg and put it on myself. Took two minutes and didn't have to remove the front sight. Works great too!

I was in the same situation a few months ago. I went with the 870 because of the reputation of the 870 action, availability of aftermarket goodies and feel. I looked at the 870, the Mosseberg and the Winchester Defender. The 870 also offers a left hand safety conversion, something the others did not. I wasn't too sure I would like the 12 ga when I bought it, so I opted for the right hand 870, thinking if I liked it I would get the safety, if I didn't, the 870 would go to my son (he's a right handed shooter).Since he's going to end up with all my stuff, I might as well get what suits us both.

Whatever you do, do not handle a Benelli.(It'll blow your budget plans all to crap)

------------------
Want to feel your age?Check it out. http://web.superb.net/boy/age1.html

Hello,

Lowest Cost: Winchester 1300 Defender

Lowest Cost and Best: Remington Express HD

Flashy and Classy: Remington 870 Marine

Gotta Have a Bayonette: Mossberg 590A1

- Anthony

I went with the Rem 870 Express Magnum Combo set. It came from the factory with 2 barrels. A 26" smooth bore, with vented rib and Rem Choke, and a 20" Fully rifled slug barrel. I picked it up new for about $320. If you thing you may want additional barrels look into the Combo sets. Buying barrels later is expensive.

I later added an 18.5" Smooth bore barrel and magazine extension. I having this variety of barrels on hand makes it quite versital.

Chuck

Thanks again for the replies everybody. One more question: just how easy is it to (a) find extra barrels for the 870 (I'd like both long, medium, and short barrels), and (b)install/switch barrels? I assume I could do it myself? Would I need special tools?

Thanks!

I have a Mossberg 500 combo: 28" ribbed barrel with choke inserts and an 18½ cylinder bore plain barrel. I bought a folding stock for it. Very versatile and reasonably priced with plenty of accessories available.

Ewok:You are of course correct. The Mossberg has a tang mount safety just like my Browning BPS. For some reason the lefty safety option just stuck in my mind as one of the reasons I preferred the 870. The Remington, Mossberg and the Winchester are all pretty much an even call.

BAB: The barrels change out with just the turn of a knurled cap and a tug on the barrel, just a few seconds work.

------------------
Want to feel your age?Check it out. http://web.superb.net/boy/age1.html

[This message has been edited by Hal (edited August 11, 1999).]

Back