I want a pocket plinker .22

RH Factor

I only have a couple hundred bucks to spend and was going to go buy a Phoenix HP22...$110 and if I want the extra barrel and magazine add $40 (the kit is $200, I don't need a cage and cleaning kit that bad) BUT then I saw some pics of the new Walther P22. $199 for the 4" model...looks really good but don't know if I want to wait till it gets out to the stores...Any suggestions....thanks

The Phoenix and Walther are not in the same class. The Ruger MK-II is the same size and type of weapon as the Walther. Also, try a Used S&W 2213 or 2214 which are proven guns that are inbetween the Walther and Phoenix in size. Both good and bad things have been said about the Beretta style .22's like the Model 21 and Taurus PT's. Never heard anything bad about the Phoenix.

P22 and Mark II the same size?

From the pictures I've seen, the P22 looks considerably smaller than the Mark II. I've also read on this board that the P22 will only weigh about 19 oz., which is 9 ounces lighter than the lightest model of the Ruger Mark II or 22/45. Those guns can weigh up to almost 40 oz., depending on the barrel.

I've requested a spec sheet on the P22 from Walther, which I should be receiving any day now. I'll post the specifics on here when I receive it.

Ruger 22/45

I know its a little larger than you want, but still relatively light and small.....Get a Ruger 22/45 with the 4 inch barrel. It around $200 and its a real .22.

Pilot

Badger, what are the S&W 2213 and 2214 ? Anything like the 2206?

Anywho, the 2206 with a 4inch barrel is pretty good by my book. You can only get used ones nowadays, so if you run across one give it some thought. Not sure how small you are looking for, however.

RHfactor,

Here's the good news! Unlike all calibers, there are several great 22LR rimfires pistols. You will develope a favorite over the years (probably the first one you own) but the caliber is inherently accurate, the pistols never wear out the barrels and crack frames like larger calibers and are cheap to shoot. Everybody in the family can learn stance, sight picture, grip and trigger control with a .22 pistol. I take my grandchildren (4 of them) to the range and shoot until everybody is tired asnd hungry for less than $5.00 in ammunition costs. The cold drinks at the little store cost more than that. I could go on and on extolling the virtues of the caliber and the pistols that fire it.

There is only one problem that I know. The pistols, like all semi-automatic pistols, have to be made well or they jam. There are so many well made ones that you really should choose a known quantity if you are a novice. Let the old hands break new ground.

PigPen

I had a Pheonix HP-22, and it was okay. It was reasonably accurate, and I think I paid 100$ for it. Loud as all get out, too. The interchangeable barrels were nice, too. However, it did have a few feeding and jamming problems. All the safeties got aggravating, too. It just didn't "feel" like that high quality of a gun. However, it was good for the money, and a good step up from the Jennings J-22 I did have. :-)

I just recently picked up a Ruger 22/45 w a 5.5" stainless bull barrel, and there's no comparison. The Ruger is INCREDIBLY accurate. It's a complete blast to shoot, one of the most fun pistols I own. It even runs fine in rapid-fire mode, which makes it even more fun. No jamming or malfunctions of any kind. However, it's about the price of 3 Pheonix pistols.

If you're looking for a compromise, I'd go with the Ruger 22/45 in blued finish, with the short "snub" bull barrel. It's one of Ruger's newest releases. It's also cheap too, I think dealer cost on it is around 150-160$ so you should be able to pick it up for around 200$. It's a whole lot smaller than the longer barreled versions (around the size of a Glock 19/23) and would be really handy.

However, I'll admit the new Walther looks really, really interesting....

AL

Avoid the Phoenix: feeding and extraction problems on every sample I've tried (badly made mags, poor extractos) and not accurate.

I'd stick with what the gunsmiths carry:

Beretta, Browning Micro Buckmark, Ruger Mk1 or Mk2, SW2213 (though my full-size 2206 had lots of problems requiring a trip back to SW for rebuilding, the tiny ones seem to work).

If you can find the FEG .22, that may be the best bet (shrank Makarov look-alike).

I've only seen a S&W M2214 in action one time at the range, but I was impressed with it's accuracy. Neat little gun. I'm keeping my eye open for one.

I have a 2214 that I'm looking to sell. I love the compactness, grip feel, and decent accuracy, but it has a problem with failure-to-extract.

I bought it in December 2000, returned it to S&W to fix the extractor problem two weeks later, but I've still had problems with it since its return. I probably going to sell it rather that return it to S&W a second time.

Anyone interested in buying this can email me at demery@inconnect.com. Make me an offer I can't refuse....

I would definately wait for the short barrelled version of the Walther P22. Retail will be under $200 and the gun is much smaller than a MkII. It is about the size of a Colt Defender.

Phoenix or Walther

I have a Phoenix Arms HP-22 and frankly, for my 100.00, I really like it. They are ammo sensitive, and mine has never jammed with Stingers that I can recall. I got the extra barrel and stuff for it, and while it makes the gun more accurate, if you want precision, the Rugers, Brownings and the S&W 22a seem to more fit the bill.

If, as your post implies, you want a smaller, inexpensive handgun, imho, the Phoenix is a pretty good buy. And while you hope you never need it, again IMHO, their service dept is wonderful. I also think it is a very attractive gun, and looks more expensive, at least outwardly, than it costs.

I would go with the S&W 2213. I have one, and it's a real shooter for a small gun. It has been reliable, it's light weight, and accuracy make it a great buy.

Thanks for all the good insight. I went to the serch menu and looked at all the info on the HP-22. Like Tatters said most felt that it had some trouble with ammo feeding but that stingers worked very good with little to no problems. When I checked almost any other .22, the same problem seemed to be brought up..and the answer was to get a bunch of different ammo and experiment till you found one that works well. I will check out the gun show next weekend for a S&W 2213 or 2214 and I still want to check out that walther p22, but when I contacted the corp office they said not till late April. I guess it just goes to show....
"SO MANY GUNS, SO LITTLE TIME(and money)" Thanks again.

I can't think of pocket plinker without thinking of the Ruger Bearcat or S&W Kit Gun, but I realize the folks on this forum can't bring themselves to even consider anything but an auto pistol.

Jim

I am with Jim Keenan about the kit gun. I picked up a used Model 63 S&W 22 kit gun and it is one fine gun. Fits in the pocket and is the gun I shot most.

Not to offend anyone on the list. but I think that phoenix arms 22 is a low quality piece of work. Plus, all those safety features are a bad way to teach a beginner good safety. If all the safety precautions are being taken by the design of the gun, it leaves the new shooter to learn bad habits. This can be deadly on a gun that "isnt" full of safety features.

It seems poorly made. Kind of "Hundai" like. But thats just my opinion.

Tim :)

To be honest the hp-22 is the most accurate .22 pistol I've ever fired,far more accurate that my single six or my bobcat.

Back