I want a nice quail gun.

You are not going to get into a nice, even decent, SxS quail gun for that money in my opinion.

Not sure what you can get for $600 except for an auto-loader or pump. Many nice small gauge autos and pumps out there I would choose before a cheap O/U or SBS.

Low priced guns are so-so, more money more quality.

One more thing to think about. If you get a good used SxS, and take decent care of it, you will probably never lose a dime should you decide to sell it.

When I read you post, I automatically thought about a SXS and the good ones are pricey.

You are not going to get into a nice, even decent, SxS quail gun for that money in my opinion.

All good advice from people who know what they're talking about. I don't like spending any more money than I have to either, but, if you want a nicely finished, reliable, good handling sxs, you simply have to pony up the coin. I especially agree with colbad (better to get a nice repeater over a mediocre double) and Virginian-in-LA (you'll never lose money on a quality used double purchased right).

Quail

Like the others have said, $600 will not come close to a nice SxS or O/U.

I use a Remington G-3 which is nothing more than a "fancy" Remington LT 20 gauge for quail through pheasant.

It's lightweight and cI an carry all day long without any problem.

kawasakifreak77 said:
..For the record I do have a pump. An old 12 ga wingmaster. It's got a police barrel on it though & sits in the corner full of buckshot. I could easily swap the barrel out & slay quail to my heart's content...
You already got the best quail gun going! Buy an after market barrel for the 870 pump with changeable choke tubes. A 20ga works great for quail but a 12ga with lighter loads is dynamite too! Try it, you'll like it!

FWIW...

..bug :)

I swear, if you asked about sex some people would recommend a pump gun.
I have hunted afield for over 50 years, and never found the need to abuse my guns. Every SxS I ever owned I sold for at least as much as I ever paid for it, and usually more. And some of them were up in multi thousand dollar range. I can't recall ever making a profit on a repeater other than a 10 gauge BPS I heavily modified. When tungsten came along I went back to a 12 gauge, but it was just what one guy was looking for.

Virginian-in-LA said:
I have hunted afield for over 50 years, and never found the need to abuse my guns. Every SxS I ever owned I sold for at least as much as I ever paid for it, and usually more. And some of them were up in multi thousand dollar range. I can't recall ever making a profit on a repeater other than a 10 gauge BPS I heavily modified. When tungsten came along I went back to a 12 gauge, but it was just what one guy was looking for.
Interesting, since as far as shotguns go, I've always had Rem 870's & 1100's and the few that I ever sold I always got more than I paid for them. Always. But I didn't pay $1,000's for them so my cash margin was low despite the high profit margin! LOL

I never abused them either, so after years of use they still looked pretty good & one particular 16ga 870 I wish I still had despite receiving close to double what I originally paid for it.

Just FWIW, to each his own...

...bug:)

Now that gave me a good chuckle. :D

At the risk of coming across as an "elitest", I would make the argument that there's nothing so fine in terms of a sweet handling shotgun than a quality, well-balanced side by side. They may be pricey but, imo, they're worth every hard-earned penny. Once you've partaken of a good double, nothing else will measure up.
If the op is set on a repeater due to cost issues, the very best handling one I've ever hunted with is the long discontinued Browning Double Auto (twelve gauge only). I've hunted with one since the early sixties when I bought mine new and, imo, no other repeating shotgun comes even close to the handling qualities of this fine shotgun. One in nice, if not pristine condition, can be had for $600.00 or so at most gun shows.

Back