I wanna 357 snubby but.....

Well, I wish to thank one and all for your input!
Too many choices is almost as hard as not enough!
For the money, I'm leaning toward a Taurus 617 CHB2C.
7 shot, ported,concealed hammer,blued, w/rubber grips.
Would like to play with one first, but may not get a chance to.
Now I'm off to all the auction boards to test the market for these, and what to expect.
Thanks again everyone!
TF

for a deep concealment gun those seven shot cylinders make the gun way to fat I would rather have five shots six at the most

Okay redneck5, never thought of that!
That's where having one in your hands and "virtual shopping" on the net differ!
TF

Not Ported for a CCW Snub!

Forget about getting a ported barrel on a snubbie barrel!

If you have to use it for self defense up close, from a close retention position, you may have hot gases and burning particles in you face!

You will not enjoy practicing close combat skills, and that's what a snubbie is designed for. Also, the bright flash above your front sight will interfere with your night vision. Save your porting for a long barrelled target gun, let your little snubbie roll with the recoil as designed.

Try to rent guns at a range before buying.

S&W or Ruger

These are the two revolver brands I trust. Try to rent a Ruger SP 101 and S&W (forgot the model numbers). It is best to try a gun out before buying it.

FWIW, I have the SP 101 2.25" barrel, and for me the grip fits my hand perfectly. It feels like an extension of the hand. I also get really good accuracy with my SP 101...out to 15 yards. I have not tried 25 yard shooting with it yet due to the small site radius. My only complaint would be the heavy DA trigger, but in SA the trigger is quite good (light and crisp).

So...I highly recommend a S&W or Ruger SP101. I won't tell you which one to buy, because your needs might be different. I think you need to try both brands out and make the decision for yourself. ;)

Yeah, I wished I lived in a place where I could rent guns. But living in the backwoods of Ky. I have no such option. I can play with them in the stores and that's about it.
TF

It's exhilerating enough already

When I fire my 2" .357 mag I get hot stuff blown back at me even though it's not ported and held in a Weaver (sort of) position. My compensated (similar to porting) Commander is louder than any other .45 I've ever heard, and I've been told the same by others.

I agree that porting is a bad idea on a 2" .357.

Regards.

I like my S&W 640. I kept the small grips that came with it on -- it's extremely concealable, if not a little heavy for a pocket gun. Mine's surprisingly accurate. The front sight is too wide IMO, not sure if Smith fixed this on more recent guns, but I just trimed it up a bit with a file and it's not bad now.

But prepare yourself for dramatic recoil and noise with full power 125s!

Ed2, at what range do you consider your 640 "amazingly accurate?" I have a Model 60 that I like a lot but I sure wouldn't call it accurate. Maybe it's only me. :(

Tenderfoot,

I had a very early rendition of the Smith
and Wesson model 66, with a 2-1/2" tube in
late 1975. It was a lot of fun to play with,
but a wee bit large and heavy for any CCW
purposes. With full house "magnum loads"
you would have a tiger by it's tail!!!:D:)

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

MOLON LABE!!!

Captain Bligh

Maybe I should have said "surprisingly accurate". I'm comparing it with other snubbies I've owned (a 36, and a taurus). I can do 2 inch groups (not freehand) at about 30 feet with my 640. I think I was lucky to get under 5inches with the others.

Tenderfoot,
I have found that the standard blue steel Taurus M605 meets my needs for a concealable revolver quite nicely. The weight is such that the recoil will not pursuade you to leave it in the safe, like it's lighter, more sophisticated breathern will. Especally with magnum loads!!! The only one the titanium framed guns that might do the trick is the Taurus. This is due to it's advanced grip design. I would get the blued model!!! :):cool:

I agree with redneck5 on the 5 shot. I tried carring a 7 shot for ccw puposes and found I was dressing around the gun due to its bulk. I would never change to a semi-auto for primary carry due to the sheer reliability of revolvers. If you are going to carry a snubbie be prepared to practice constantly, as accuracy with the super short barrels is an acquired skill, and requires constant maintenance. With enough practice it will shoot just like pointing a finger. I can match my brothers 91/2" 44 redhawk groups at 75 yards with my sp101. I shoot 2-3 times per week, he shoots 1-2 times per month. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!!!!!

Greetings,

Get a Performance Center 640 Quadra Port and then have it NP3 coated by Robar.

Nothing left to say or desire.

Back