I wanna 357 snubby but.....

Tenderfoot

Which one?
Ruger,Taurus or Smith?
I want a stainless aprox. 2-2 1/2" barrel.
Bobbed hammer, rubber grips.
Would prefer a 6-7 shot but will go with a 5 if needed.
I know this dumb newbie type question has been done to death, but I couldn't devise a good set of keywords for a search.
Besides I need opinions not FAQs just now.
Sorry if you get tired of answering this question.
Give me a URL to an existing thread if one exists!
Thanks in advance!
TF

PS. I would like it to be capable of withstanding +P loads.

'bobbed' hammer = No hammer ?

I assume you don't plan on useing SA, therefore
I'd go with the S&W 42/442/642 series. Lightweight
and all the goods...best....dewey

I'd go with a nice older Smith 19 2½ round butt. Since snubbies take a fair amount of practice for most to get really good with them, I would prefer the blued steel to stainless.

Sam

I hate to brag but I own the best .357 snubbie on the planet. That would be my 586 2-1/2". This gun eats anything and is extremely accurate.

justinr1

Okay it looks as if Smith is out in an early lead!
I have about $300 budgeted for this pistol.
I don't want to get something so old it's a collector piece.
I've avoided all the $2000.00 wallhangers in long guns and plan to in pistols too.
Where to shop? Online Auctions? Shotgun News? Local shop? I've avoided the $600 "this belonged to Dick Tracy himself" kind of junk you see at the gun shows!:rolleyes:
TF

Well, for a 'bob-job' on the hammer

any of the Smiths with case-colored carbon hammers would be the choice, since they touch-up fine with cold-blue. The Ruger series all have stainless hammers, and their profiles make them the easiest to modify.

I would not base my choice solely on this, though. Your thumb on the hammer-spur during the draw-stroke will accomplish the same thing. Besides, if you buy any holster with a safety-strap, it's designed for those WITH a hammer-spur. Of course, the excellent Centennial series with internal hammers would save you any such hassles.:D

Well you said 357 and +p so..........
S&W Bodyguard..5 shot, light, shrouded hammer that still allows you to use single action. A very good shooter.
For a 357 I'll go with justinr1.....S&W 586/686 These are soooooo good, but heavy.
last you might look at the Titanium weapons but they are very expensive.
good luck
DA

While this is arguable, I don't consider guns bigger than a S&W 5 shot or a Colt Dick Special/Cobra a "snubby." Therefore, imho, you need to look at the S&W 640 357 or one of the new scandiums if you want a 357. There is also the mod 940 in 9mm Luger which hits about as hard as 357 in the shorty bbl.

You can also look at the Taurus but I wouldn't buy one myself, ymmv. The others (mod 19, magnum carry, etc.) are too unwieldy and you mizewell get a longer bbl because they are really a holster pistol. You can't carry it in your pocket unless you're Captain Kangaroo. HTH:cool:

Smith&Wesson 686

I would have to agree with Justin on this one. I have a 686 with a 2.5" bbl. Either the 586 or 686 will last you a lifetime and serve you well. Only difference is the 586 is a blue finish and the 686 is a stainless finish. Good luck on whatever you pick.....Whit

The correct --357 Magnum-- snub-nose revolver is a Ruger SP101.

If you decide 38 Special is adequate then the correct choice is a (used) S&W M38 Airweight Bodyguard.

I think I would look for a used smith 19 /66 2 1/2 vs. a 586/686 2 1/2" forget about the taurus and ruger rattletraps,actually I wouldnt trade my model 60 for the world and I would probably try to find a newer 640 in 357 like big g said if you must have DAO,if not I would look for a newer model 60 in 357

The only real need for a DAO would be the bobbed hammer.
Weight doesn't concern me much, whether it is 8 or 10 oz. one way or another. I would want it as slick and smooth as possibile for easy in and out. I'm used to a 1911A1 thought I'd play with a wheelgun for a change.
TF

My planned next handgun will be a Taurus 617. 7 shots of 357 Magnum.

Ruger SP101

In 357 Mag,I would recommend the ruger
Model# KSP-321XL this has a 2 1/4" Barrel weight 25OZ. Great CCW wepon.

ksp321xlb.gif

For 38Spl.+p I would go with the new Tauras in Stainless steal or Total Titanium.

m850Ti.jpg

Or in 357 Mag with a 7 shot try this one!

M617MULTI.jpg
The Model 617 Ultra-Lite Titanium .357 Magnum,
with Forged Aluminum Frame, Optional Ported
Titanium Barrel and Titanium Cylinder.

Tony

Last edited:
Thanks guys that's the exact profile I was looking for!
I may go with blued steel for cost reasons.
I would like a 6 or 7 shot in case I get a second shot!:eek:
TF

As darkangel said . . .

This is the .357 of choice. S & W model 649 (Bodyguard). It is made of stainless steel, comes with recoil absorbing grips (and many other grips are available. It can be fired in your pocket, or single action.

649.jpg

Regards.

Tenderfoot

My first choice for a bobbed revolver is S&W 640.

You could try with the Colt Carry Magnum; nice, light (if you consider that is all steel made) reliable and accurate snubby. I have one but I prefer the S&W 66, my actual CCW revolver.

Try all of them, you can´t go wrong with any of the top brands in the market (Ruger, S&W, Taurus, Colt) !

Good Luck

If it is going to be a pocket gun, I recommend a holster fitted for the carry place. That way you have a better chance of grabbin nuthin but gun, when that's what you want.

Sam

A friend of mine and I bought our CCW pistols and got our permits at the same time...

She bought a mid size S&W snubbie. .357 mag with a 2.5 in barrel and 7 shots!!! That seemed like the sweetest small, powerful package I'd ever seen. Cost :$450 plus.

I bought a taurus small frame, 5-shot, blued, concealed hammer .357 mag for only $249. Not as nice, but the bullets still hurt I'd bet.

Have fun shopping!!

Back