i traded in to a Mossberg 930 Tactical....

My Mossberg 930 Field/Security Combo arrived today. It is of course a 12 gauge. This combo comes with a ported, 28" Vent Rib with a Fiber Optic sight and an 18.5" barrel with a plain brass bead. Stock pitch spacers, three choke tubes, a wrench for same and an orange chamber flag complete this very utilitarian package. 'Utilitarian' was exactly what I was looking for. This particular specimen came outfitted with a knurled, oversize bolt handle. I'm so tactical, I flatulate ninjy stars.

2016-01-015_zps6snbowua.jpg

The synthetic stock came equipped with the OEM Mossberg stock burr, guaranteed to draw blood if you don't clean it up. My old Case XX Stockman made short work of it.

2016-01-017_zps0gkwszoe.jpg

If you believe the internet, Winchester's Universal field load is Kryptonite to the Mossberg 930. I had a couple of boxes on hand so that's what I fed this shotgun. I didn't do the 'pre-clean' we always hear about; I just crammed the shotgun full of Universal and commenced firing. I ran about 30 rounds of it through each barrel, firing deliberately as fast as I could engage targets and occasionally, emptying a full load from the hip as fast as I could pull the trigger. There were no failures of any kind. I also ran ten rounds of Winchester 2 3/4” full power 00 buck and five of the same company's slugs through each barrel, again with no failures.

While the field barrel is perfectly regulated, my short barrel prints slugs about 8” high and 4” left at 25 yards. 100-odd rounds of mixed ammo don't prove much; but so far I can find no other fault with the this shotgun.

I also ran ten rounds of Winchester 2 3/4” full power 00 buck and five of the same company's slugs through each barrel, again with no failures.
What I like best about this gun is it's soft shooting, even with loads like these. I could shoot mine all day long with what many consider "shoulder rockers." Did you find yours to be the same?

I shot a Remington 11-87 for years, with a prefit Limbsaver on it. It kicked a whole lot less than our 14" issue 870's. With the same loads, I believe this 930 is softer shooting than the 11-87.

For most of my life I pretty much ignored any recoil that didn't draw blood or cause audible feedback from my skeletal system. But about a year ago I had my right shoulder taken apart & screwed back together, so I notice these things more than I used to.

Back