I thought wooly mammoths were extinct???

That's a little easier said than done, kinda hard at 2:00 am.

Sometimes you have a willing recipient lined up and they change their minds when you call.

Same thing with trapped hogs, I will hold them live for a few hours for people, but then its lights out. If the weather is too hot I will kill them, I won't leave them in the heat.
Regardless of the final disposition, they will die before leaving my custody. I do make reasonable efforts to give them away, but in the end...they will die.

A friend of mine that has a ranch in South Texas donates the meat to the locals. He say's it keeps them from rustling his cattle. And he get's a lot of pork tamales!

Back when I was 'smithing I had a local state hunter who was hired to clear a local state park of a huge herd of feral pigs. He used a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 mag shooting SSK 325 grain bullets at 1400 fps... ouch. He asked me to de-horn the bottom of the hammer as it was tearing up his hand.

He carried a SBH as the pigs loved to get into the networks of manzanita and madrone and a person had to go in on hands and knees to get in there. He said his load shot all the way through the 300 pounders from any angle.

He lined up the local Catholic Worker Kitchen and delivered pick-up truck full loads of them till the park was cleared out.

Killkenny.......hahaaaa

Grant..I would like to find someone local to make me a deal on pork tamales....

Thats a big one, looks like the same one in the picture.
The Feral Hog reproduces very fast, and most of the shoats that are born survive, a young female hog can reproduce at 6 months of age.
They are a species that need to be hunted hard just to keep the population in check.
The state I live in allows hunting for them year around, and they dont care if you keep the meat or not.
I myself keep the meat, if its a good hog, but if its a smelly boar, I let the vermon have at it. The Boys and I cought a nice young Sow yesterday with hunting dogs, and are having it turned into pork stake and sausage.
I will post a picture of the boys holding the hog, by the back legs when I get them downloaded.
We put the hog down with a Polish Tokerev TT 33 7.62x25 Pistol.

Seeing that hog,it looks like
it's fit for cold weather which
means it's not too many years
away from NH.
Question: (not to steal the OP's thread)
Do you guys have to worry bout worms
and such in these feral pigs?
Ron

You hog guys make me wish we had pigs here in CO. Were stuck with only elk, moose, big horn sheep, pronghorn, giant blackies, and record mulies! But seriously hog hunting sounds like a real blast and my mosin with 180 gr soft points would be the perfect medicine. Luckily my grandfather has them all over his property in Missouri. Might have to try for a tag sometime!

Do you guys have to worry bout worms
and such in these feral pigs?

I really have'nt noticed any...I am more worried about disease....I use rubber gloves while cleaning them....Then cook good....

LOL, not a wooly mammoth - Pleistocene Cave Boar.

That sounds cool....

Were stuck with only elk, moose, big horn sheep, pronghorn, giant blackies, and record mulies!

Good luck huntin sheep....I would'nt have a problem living and hunting in Colorado.....One thing is..hogs can be hunted 24-7-365....I did'nt plan it that way..but it has made me a better shot with a high power rifle....

Pig killing is terribly addictive, specially a large group. Shoot one and mayhem ensues. Pigs take off running in every possible direction. Pigs you didn't even know were there. Big pigs, little pigs, tiny pigs medium pigs......when I see a large group, i can hardly contain the giggles of anticipation.

Back