I think it is time to get my concealed weapons permit.

There are definitely alot more tools on the road lately. Also alot simply just having a bad day.

Just moved into a new apartment with the wife on Friday, hadn't met any neighbors until yesterday afternoon when our downstairs neighbor pulled into the driveway and from his truck (with his daughter and her 4mo old son in with him) began a tirade about being parked in "his spot" and that we should know better than to do so, and he was going to take a tire iron to the windows if it was there again, etc. etc. all that good high school lunchroom crappola. I was carrying at the time.

As he was goin' off, my hand instinctively started drifting towards my hip. Realizing this before it got there, I went ahead and hooked my thumb in my pocket instead and let him continue on. I provided no reply other than eye contact, a straight face, and a nodding head.

Well, he parked and they exited, and he approached again. He apologized for what he said, the way he stated it, and explained: arguments with ex-wife, mother died just days before, and a whole mess of things with daughter and her boy (who was adorable, btw). In other words, lots of stress. Sometimes its better to just take the high road, suck it up, and let them figure out for themselves how much of an a-hole they just were.

+10

+10 for what Madcap_Magician said!!!

Drive off, or lock the doors with the windows rolled up and call 911......

Remember the Golden Rule you were taught in Kindergarden?

Sometimes, even if your not at fault, a simple hands up, open palmed "hey guy, I'm sorry...are you Ok?", can and will calm the situation down and make the guy realize he is over-reacting. He might be a decent guy, just on edge due to a nagging wife, screaming kids, bills, job related issues (or unemployment) and other stressors. Or possibly he has untreated mental health issues. A minor fender bender, or close call is all it takes to push him (or her) over the edge. An olive branch might work and negate any further conflict and difuse the whole situation. And if he is a true bonafide nut case or crack head and continues to act aggressive, lock your doors, roll up your windows and leave. Tuck your ego in the glove box and leave it there. Its not worth it. Been there, done that...

While I could care less his reasons for acting aggressive, I agree with this post 100 percent.

mleake
When i was backing up there was a ford f-250 beside me i could not see to the left (i have a chevy s-10) therefore i was easing out very slowly the guy came around the parking lot at a good clip and did not seem to be paying attention. i was not mad and did not mean to chirp my tires (they are bad and are being replaced soon) i was only slightly irritated and and actually more ammused than anything else. and by no means am i saying i would have or even thought using deadly force i am just saying that this incident has made me realize things can go wrong in a hurry, and i have learned a lot from it.

Its also a good reminder, don't lose your head and get out of the car. The guy you're raging at may be sitting there with either a 12 gauge or a killer attack dachshund, either of which can ruin your day. ;)

stressfire
I kind of have to wonder if it was something along those lines, i basicaly did the same thing, i knew if i said anything it would likely only make it worse.

i am confident in my abilities to defend myself, but i do not feel that this was a situation even worth getting into an altercation over. i understand that i made some mistakes, but i have learned alot from this and i think i can better myself because of it.

Whenever someone is confident in their abiities to defend themselves, I share this. It was a case I consulted on.

Three young strong men get into a traffic confrontation with an older man. One strong young man strolls over to the old man and postures. Obviously, he thinks that he is confident in his ability. Old man reaches into his pocket and takes out a small paring knife. He sticks it into young man who drops stone cold dead. Old man hit the magic spot.

Nice to assume you are going to get into a polite fist fight when you think that you can take the guy. Another - in knife class, a student said - Why, I'm a big fellow and folks don't mess with me. Instructor who was a shorter man says: Well, some little guys are nutty. Big man says - I can handle myself. Instructor walks up to tall guy and whips out training knife. Stab, stab, stab - slice, slice in a flash. Oops.

Thus, one shouldn't enter an unnecessary altercation with the presumption that it is a good idea as you are confident in your abilities.

You never know. Taffy 3 managed to deal with the Yamato.

i am confident in my abilities but i dont let my ego get in the way thats why i did not get in an altercation over something so stupid. i completely agree with the examples you have shared you never know what the other person is going to do.

I kind of have to wonder if it was something along those line

That would be my guess, he said he had kids in the car, right? "Daddy can we get ice cream? Daddy, he's on my side/poking me/ etc. Are we there yet?" Enough to drive anyone nuts.

You did right just letting him get it out of his system and moving on.

I would be lying if I said it didnt make me mad when he got out of his car and started screaming at me, but I knew it would only make things drastically worse if I retaliated. One or two years ago i may have let my temper dictate my actions but now I know sometimes its best if you swallow your pride and move on.

Yup, you got it.

If you are interested in a CHL/CCW or w/e your state calls it, take the class and go for it. But also realize that while carrying the need to de-escalate and avoid conflict becomes soooo much more necessary. B/c if, when explaining to the police why you fired or even simply drew on someone, you must explain why you felt it was necessary to do so. And IMHO, if your answer is anything other than "I tried to apologize and cool him off, he attacked - I tried to get away, i couldn't, I thought he was going to kill me." You will most likely be spending most of the next few years in stripey pajamas trying to keep a good grip on your bar of soap.

EMN89, by your OP, you put it in drive and hit the gas a bit harder than you should have; your tires squealed; you then pulled up behind the other driver at a light.

Obviously, you had made eye contact in the parking lot, since you described the other driver looking at you.

So, from his perspective....

I was driving through a parking lot when this guy tried to back out of a space, right in front of me; I hate when people have obscured views - there was an F150 next to the guy - and yet they still try to back up into traffic. I had to brake and swerve, with my kids in the car. I gave the guy a look - I mean, who wouldn't? And then I left.

Next thing I know, this dude squeals his tires, roars up behind me at a light, and is sitting there, glaring at me in the mirror, looking like a maniac. I'm not sure if he's going to ram me, or what, but I have my kids in the car.... so I figure I'd better go deal with him, away from them.

I tell him I have my kids with me; we don't need this. Back off, man!!!

Get the point, EMN89?

Your OP described an aggressive reaction. Your later posts softened the tone. I suspect your OP was the more accurate.

Consider the timing

Mleake, as OP stated, event occurred just shortly prior to post. I imagine he was still a little hot under the collar, however, after receiving intelligent feedback from all us lovely, kind people I believe he might have a better idea of why what happened did and have a better idea of how to approach similar situation in the future.

Lotsa things could have happened from this incident - many of them undesirable. In this case everybody drove away and made it home to type about it or tell their wives about the "tool that cut me off." Call it a win, learn, and call it a day.

Mleake
thanks for your feedback I understand the point you are making, I know did not handle everything the way I should have, I just want to learn from this so that I can do everything in my power to keep something like this from happening again.

Stressfire
thanks I have learned a lot from this incident and how to handle things in the future.

EMN89, thank you, I can respect that attitude.

It seemed to me that earlier you might have been in some degree of denial, but I may have been mistaken. Seems you are on the right track, after all.

No I was not trying to deny anything I was just trying to better understand what happened, I am sorry I came off that way.

If it were me, and I were armed legally, I would have drawn the gun, but not point it at him. I would deliberately hold it out of the line of sight or something, as to not aggravate the guy anymore but to be at the ready.

Basically I would convey the fact to him that I currently had no intention of aiming the gun at him or shoot him but that he better calm down quick, and he better not step much closer. If he did move closer, I'd bring the gun in plain view, pointed down, and tell him to keep his distance.

There's no reason to go balistic cause a guy has a case of road range. But realistically, there's no excuse for road rage anyway. He was clearly out of line.

Back