I think I'm interested in a bolt action .22.

I don't agree. Get the best gun you can afford, a low grade gun can't shoot higher grade groups but a low grade shooter (starter) will learn to shoot good groups and grow into the gun.

I have had maybe five 22s in 50 years. I finally got the 452 and it shoots the way I want to (and I do more bench shooting than anything so the longer barrel is not an issue and it works in well with the Mil Surplus I shoot so I don't say it has to be that model, but CZ is about as good as it gets until you spend $800 for a really fine target rifle.

If real accurate target is your goal then start with an Anshutz or equal. If you can get it you still need $85 x 500 brick ammo or better to max it out, so if you add it up, thats 5 bricks and bricks can go fast with 22 (they are so fun to shoot you just can't stop!)

For me the 452 is all I will want. If I was after more I would have bought more.

I shot this 5 shot group this morning with an Anschutz MPR64 with a Leupold VXIII 8.5-25X50 using Lapua Center X ammo. It is better than the factory target and I actually shot another 5 shot group that is smaller than this one at the same range, 50 yards, using Lapua Standard ammo.

Attachments

• securedownload.jpg
    securedownload.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Lapua Standard.jpg
    Lapua Standard.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
If your goal is to shoot the smallest possible groups with your .22 rifle, then by all means, spend a LOT of money on the best rifle you can buy. IF, on the other hand, you simply want a rifle to shoot, and have fun with, and still have better than acceptable accuracy, then let me make a suggestion.
Pawn shops are your friend. It seems that the "tacti-cool" craze has made bolt action .22's almost totally undesireable. Most pawn shops have racks full of them, Remingtons, Marlins, Mossbergs, you name it. MOST of them are capable of very fine accuracy, and most of them can be had for around 100-150 dollars.
The one that I chose was a Remington 512. It is a full sized rimfire rifle, with a tubular magazine, which means it will function with short, long, or long rifle cartridges. I haven't mounted a scope on it yet, but probably will soon, since my eyesight isn't what it used to be. Accuracy has been very good, and functioning is flawless.
Just my ramblings... worth exactly what you paid for 'em....

I am no expert, but I have a CZ 452 FS and love it. Most people would do better with the standard stock, but I thought it looked good. My wife liked it so much, that basically she took it over and now she refers to it as "her .22" even though she has a pump action .22 of her own.

First of all, what's up with the .17 ammo (I know there are multiple variations)? Is this something I should be looking into, or do I want the .22? What are some of the significant differences here?

There are several 17 rimfire cartridges. They are very useful, but a 22 is better for your purposes.

Additionally, could someone break down for me the differences between the .22, .22LR, and .22 mag? Are these largely interchangeable when it comes to rifles, or will they require different platforms?

There are 22 Short, 22 Long and 22 Long Rifle cartridges. All of them will fire from a 22 Long Rifle gun, which is what you would get today. They are often referred to collectively as "22s".

The 22 Magnum is a different cartridge which is NOT interchangable with 22 LR.

Is bolt action what I'm looking for? I am looking for essentially a practice rifle (as it pertains to both shooting and maintenance) that is as accurate as possible. It seems that the bolt action (in general) is regarded as more accurate than semi auto, pump, or lever action. It looked to me like the bolt action rifles were the ones people were competing with. Is my assessment here accurate?
Yes.

What is a 10/22? I have seen this come up a few times and I don't what the designation means.

The Ruger 10/22 is a very popular semiautomatic 22LR. They are great if you want to take the gun apart and customize it, there are many accessories and parts for it. Out of the box, the triggers are heavy and they are not especially accurate. Not the best choice for your requirements.

After looking around for a while, I think I like the CZ 455 varmint due to its seemingly great reputation, and thick barrel.
An excellent choice, especially if you don't mind the weight of the heavy barrel. I was going to recommend the lighter sporter version, but that's a question of individual preference.

It should be mentioned again that 22 ammunition is hard to find right now in the US. This is a temporary situation that will eventually be resolved.

I'm trying to buy the Savage MkII FV-SR this weekend if the gun show dealers can beat the online prices I found. It cost less than $250, has a nice thick and threaded barrel, and an adjustable target trigger. All reports I've read says its plenty accurate, I shot one and its definitively more accurate and funner to shoot than a 10/22.

Good job deciding on a bolt action .22, it really doesn't make sense to get a semi-auto .22 for what you use that round for (unless its for fun).

First off, let me say that I am a huge fan of 22LR rifles in general, and of 22LR bolt actions in particular. I think there is nothing better than a 22LR bolt action, a brick of ammo, and a long hike in the high desert, but I imagine a walk through the woods or across the hills of New England would be just as satisfactory. Sure, I like 22LR semi-autos, and have owned some very accurate semi-autos, but in general, they are heavier and I am getting old and lazy, so we don't keep company much any more. I own several very accurate 22LR bolt actions, as well as several 22 WMR and 17HMR bolt actions (as I said, my favorites are 22LR bolt actions), so I think they are the best (obviously). I can hit a soda can (or a rabbit) pretty much every shot out to 150ish yds with either the Ruger 77/22, the Rem 541T, the Rem 513, or the Winchester 75, and the same goes for ground squirrels, chucks, coyotes, etc.

If I were looking for an accurate 22LR sporting bolt action rifle nowadays, I would look at Remington 504, CZ 527 or 555, Browning T-Bolt, or a Ruger 77/22 (in that order). Just keep in mind that accurate rifles can seem expensive, but they are much more satisfying to shoot.

As far as 22WMR or the various 17s go, they are fun, and have their place, but I prefer a 22LR over them any day.

My dad had a single shot .22 bolt action marlin when I was a kid. It was a lot of fun and a heck of a good shooter. But when I "came of age" and he decided I should get myself a gun, I ended up going for a semi-auto .22. Having to reload after every shot wasn't my preference, especially when squirrel hunting. But if your dead set on a .22 bolt action, get a Marlin model 980s. It has a magazine. But that's just my opinion.

I'm a bench rest shooter 308 cal. Wanted a bolt action 22lr for trigger time shooting indoors in the winter. Bought a used CZ 452 varmint, just love shooting it, its so accurate, shoots one ragged hole groups all day. Just can't miss with a CZ. You won't be sorry. Barrel is tighter the the average 22 went with a one piece 20 cal. rod, maybe why its so accurate.

Back