I think I was "approached"... What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was younger I traveled all over, sometimes on foot with a backpack. Some people I approached(to ask directions, say "Hi", etc) where friendly and nice people. Some were freaks that acted like I was an axe murder, I had a couple of people put their hands on waist bands next to guns. It would make me think WTH some guy is so frightened of a stranger he needs to hold a gun..?

I would have someone weird out on me fumble around trying to get to weapons for asking a good place to eat and the next person would invite me to their home to have dinner.

Some people have poor social and personal skills.

Again it must be a American thing if someone approached me when I was in my car I would think he was looking directions or similar. The last thing I would think of is going for a firearm if I was concerned I would drive away.

As someone else said, crime, especially violent crime has gone down drastically in the last 20 years in the U.S. However, certain parts of inner cities can still be very dangerous places, and that's where most of the violence comes from. If a shady looking male between the ages of 15 and 50 approached me, I would be on guard.

American thing"? Lets talk about that. Do you want to PM me on this "American thing" you're speaking of? I'm really curious and want to know. Seems like it's laced with a little negativity there

I am just saying that if someone approached their car here that their main concern would be that they were trying to sell them something they didn't want etc not that they were going to harm them. Circumstances are different a woman on her own for example might feel more threatened than a male. As I said if I was concerned I would lock the doors and drive on if possible. When I say a American thing I mean in similar circumstances here the first thoughts would be as I said they were trying to sell something or looking for directions. The thought that they were looking to harm them would be way down the list. Probably because the chances that the person trying to harm them are very low and the other explanations much more likely.

Last edited:
Some people have poor social and personal skills.

The flipside is that some people having grown up in the city (Chicago for me) have had bad stuff happen to them when they let a stranger come too close. We all judge others based on one's own personal experiences.

Actually, it's not off-topic to consider why people react the way they do, and how that can be different for different people, if it makes us think harder about our own reactions.

Well, that's insulting.

And then the rest if you play into it. :rolleyes:

All reasonably intellegent human beings take safety precations. I put on my seatbelt because it's a reasonable thing to do, not because I'm paranoid about being in an accident. Same reason I have vehical insurance, a fire extingitior in the house, lock my doors and wear boots instead of open toe shoes at work.

Don't insult me because I have the means and willingness to take reasonable precations in case someone attempts to commit a crime on my person. You're darn right I'm an American. It doesn't mean I'm paranoid. It just means I have more personal rights then you, and choose to exercise them.

Don't insult me because I have the means and willingness to take reasonable precations in case someone attempts to commit a crime on my person. You're darn right I'm an American. It doesn't mean I'm paranoid. It just means I have more personal rights then you, and choose to exercise them.
I am not sure who that is addressed to who called you paranoid.

This is going off the rails. The issue is appropriate tactics for the situation.

The discussion of paranoia - American thing - etc. is a diversion. Cease and desist.

I'll say again - such interactions can be evaluated and handled with training. That's more important than 9 vs 45. Take a class or two with FOF in such situations.

The discussion of paranoia - American thing - etc. is a diversion. Cease and desist.
I asked I think reasonably is it a American thing as its not the type of reaction to the situation described that I see here. So I was wondering is that type of reaction common in America. Some here would be more wary than others at a stranger approaching their car security forces and prison officers for example. I understand that because they have and still are targeted for murder.

Vanya
Staff
Actually, it's not off-topic to consider why people react the way they do, and how that can be different for different people, if it makes us think harder about our own reactions.
The issue is appropriate tactics for the situation.
My point here what was described normally would not be seen as a situation of any concern.

Last edited:
The point has been made that some do not think the OP situation was one of serious concern. Dissecting personality or the cultural nuances of various countries is a diversion.

That discussion became one of personal insults and bickering.

Thus, cease and desist that line of contention. That is good advice.

OP and a couple others reminds me of once being approached rather abruptly. My work often had me in very bad parts of the city. I pulled up to a stop sign that was at the end of a crossing overpass. Out of nowhere a shady careactor was at my window asking for directions then spare money. He was obliviously from the neighborhood and in no way needed directions. If there's such a thing as a text book senecio for car jack/ hold up.. This was it. He was standing behind overpass pilar waiting for car to stop at sign. I cracked the window and told him NO and proceeded quickly. Not sure if I wasn't the type he was hoping for or if I left too quick. I did have a gun but he really had the drop on me fast.i never saw his gun, but I'm sure he was armed as most people were in this getto area. I never went that route again.

Another time when a teenager there was four of us in a car and picked up a hitchhiker to do him a favor. All of us being pretty broke we politely asked if he would perhaps have a little change to chip in for gas. It didn't sit well with this psycho and he pulled out a concealed .357 and threatened to shoot us all. Finally he had us stop in middle of road and let him out ( gladly) and dared us to look back or say anything or he would shoot. I don't typically pick up hitchhikers anymore either

"Another time when a teenager there was four of us in a car and picked up a hitchhiker to do him a favor. All of us being pretty broke we politely asked if he would perhaps have a little change to chip in for gas. It didn't sit well with this psycho and he pulled out a concealed .357 and threatened to shoot us all. Finally he had us stop in middle of road and let him out ( gladly) and dared us to look back or say anything or he would shoot. I don't typically pick up hitchhikers anymore either "

I'd guess your visitor thought you guys were going to roll him, and he was protecting himself.

Four of you wanting money, and one of him in a car full of strangers.

If he was the "psycho" he'd have taken your car and left you guys standing in the road, if you were lucky.

We didn't demand money , just asked if he had any extra change for gas. A simple no would have been fine.

Did you pick him up to do him a favor or to get money for gas that you already had?

Don't be offended, but that's just a step above the Squeegee Man, perform an uninvited favor in expectation of payment.

You're lucky he just got out of the car, though, he clearly overreacted.

Did you pick him up to do him a favor or to get money for gas that you already had?

Don't be offended, but that's just a step above the Squeegee Man, perform an uninvited favor in expectation of payment.

You're lucky he just got out of the car, though, he clearly overreacted.

We picked him up to do him a favor. We were almost out of gas and would have given him a ride as long as it was on our way. And the favor was invited by him hitch hiking. The way your making it sound is the way I guess he saw it. I don't think this guy was mentally stable though.You would have had to been there. We did nothing wrong or outta line.

OK, I stand corrected. Your earlier comment about being broke led me there, I guess, but my inference, not yours.

I learned not to pick up hitchhikers the same way you did. Unless it's clearly a family or distressed person with car trouble in the boondocks, they can walk.

When I was younger I went on a few hitchhiking adventures so I used to always pick up hitchhikers. I met some nice people heard some great stories. Then I picked up like 8 bad ones in a row.. skizo street trash, winos, shady sketch heads So I don't do it anymore, unless someone is broke down or maybe the occasional traveler from Europe.
You are very vulnerable when you let someone in your car, it is a risk.

I have also had a few people get really scared when a car load of young guys would pick them up. One guy we let in the passenger seat and a little ways down the rural road the guy in back emptied his gun into a road sign, The guy starts screaming... AAAHHHaahhhh.. then he says “I thought you guys were shooting me” he was still trembling when we let him out.

One guy we let in the passenger seat and a little ways down the rural road the guy in back emptied his gun into a road sign, The guy starts screaming... AAAHHHaahhhh.. then he says “I thought you guys were shooting me” he was still trembling when we let him out.

That's a great way to demonstrate and promote responsible gun ownership. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back