I Think I Need a New Cartridge

std7mag said:
Too bad, i would have made you a heck of a deal on a Mauser in 284 Win

Tired of lugging it around! :D

.280 AI is one I havent played with, but I have played with a similar wildcat .280 GNR. Also played with the 7-08mm, .280 Rem, and 7mm Rem Mag all I can say is it's just a different way to skin a cat. You're not going to notice much of a difference between that and your .30-06.

If you want some with less recoil than your 06, you'll probably find yourself still gravitating to your 6.5 Creedmoor for hunting and the range. It will still be a good cartridge to have fun with so I'm all for it. I myself might be getting a 7-08 in the future since I have a suppressor now or a .277 Fury if I want to buy a Sig Cross. I'm into short barrels and using suppressor so my cartridge choices are changing.

Tired of lugging it around!

.280 AI is one I havent played with, but I have played with a similar wildcat .280 GNR. Also played with the 7-08mm, .280 Rem, and 7mm Rem Mag all I can say is it's just a different way to skin a cat. You're not going to notice much of a difference between that and your .30-06.

If you want some with less recoil than your 06, you'll probably find yourself still gravitating to your 6.5 Creedmoor for hunting and the range. It will still be a good cartridge to have fun with so I'm all for it. I myself might be getting a 7-08 in the future since I have a suppressor now or a .277 Fury if I want to buy a Sig Cross. I'm into short barrels and using suppressor so my cartridge choices are changing.
The beauty of the 280 AI--who's recoil I don't find to be anywhere near that of a 30-06 but then my rifle is pretty heavy--is that it can typically be loaded to any length with any bullet since it's typically fitted to a long action+ action. Get a fast twist barrel and you can load any 7mm bullet, though bullets like the berger 190 gr vld are bumping at the limit. All of the short action flavors are going to be problematic in your choice of bullets (except maybe the fatty short magnums--but good luck with finding brass).

It's just a matter of physics. The same weight rifle, bullet, and powder charge the recoil will be very similar regardless of bullet diameter. The .284 Win makes more sense to me in a long action than the .280 AI. You'll have a similar powder capacity and plenty of room to seat long bullets.

It's just a matter of physics. The same weight rifle, bullet, and powder charge the recoil will be very similar regardless of bullet diameter. The .284 Win makes more sense to me in a long action than the .280 AI. You'll have a similar powder capacity and plenty of room to seat long bullets.
.284 Win is one that I considered heavily. However, there are not many rifles chambered for it from the factory.

The .284 Win makes more sense to me in a long action than the .280 AI. You'll have a similar powder capacity and plenty of room to seat long bullets.

As a reloader, the beauty of the .280AI over the .284 Win and the 7mm Mag is significant. I have two batches of 100 cases for mine. Those will last for a lot longer than the barrel will.

I built the rifle 3 or so years ago.

I do like the rifle.
But as mentioned, i HATE lugging it around!
A 10lb rifle doesn't suit my hunting style.

I have plans on another 284Win, but much lighter!

Has maybe 200-250 rounds down the tube.

That & i'm trying to get my new Mark V in 7mm WBY Magnum up & running by bear season.
Been a busy year so far getting loads worked up for new to me rifles i hadn't planned on, and one i had planned.

Savage 111 in 257 Roberts AI. This was my planned on rifle from last year.
Loads worked up for 115gr Berger VLD & 120gr Partition.

Took the 250 Savage barrel off of my Stevens 200, and put a 7mm-08 barrel from a Savage Axis II back on. After reaming it to "AI", of course.

250 Savage barrel is now on an Axis II action. Looking at stocks for it now.

Browning A Bolt in 25 WSSM.
Have loads worked out for 115gr Berger VLD & 115gr Ballistic Tip.

Ruger 77 MKII in 25-06. Put Wolfe spring kit in.
Loads worked up for 120gr Sierra HPBT GameKings & 115gr Berger VLD.

Along with 2 new pistols & work ups for those.

H&K VP9 shooting 125gr Sig V Crowns over Alliant Be 86.
Walther PPQ M2 in 45ACP with 185gr Sierra JHP over Be 86.

And with the new Mark V Weathermark LT & 7mm WBY cartridge, i just haven't had much time for the 284 Win.

std7mag said:
Ruger 77 MKII in 25-06. Put Wolfe spring kit in.
Loads worked up for 120gr Sierra HPBT GameKings & 115gr Berger VLD.
Do tell….what does the Wolfe spring kit do?

kilotanker22 said:
.284 Win is one that I considered heavily. However, there are not many rifles chambered for it from the factory.
I wouldn't let that stop me from owning a .284 if you wanted one.

MarkCO said:
As a reloader, the beauty of the .280AI over the .284 Win and the 7mm Mag is significant. I have two batches of 100 cases for mine. Those will last for a lot longer than the barrel will.

You win!:D

@Nathan,

The Wolfe spring kit lowers the trigger pull weight. Also has a stiffer firing pin spring.
That & some judicial honing nets me a crisp trigger at 2lb.

So wait....
If i'm reading the previous posts correctly, your telling us that the greater case capacity of a 280AI over a 284Win is going to give you longer barrel life?

And it's still NOT a 7mm Rem Mag!
If you throw up velocities equalling one with the 280AI, i'd say one of 2 things.
1) Calling BS!
2) Your loading it stupidly, dangerously over pressure!

Last edited:
My impression of the 284 win is that when it was introduced it was not really intended to handle the yet-to-be developed heavier/higher BC bullets; so shorter COLs and slower twist barrels hampered it's competitiveness on the market initially. Once wildcatters figured out that if you take away the COL limitations and make a faster twist to stabilize bigger bullets--it is in fact an excellent base cartridge. But that's just my take on it.

What really hampered it's introduction is the firearms Winchester introduced it in.
A lever action & a semi auto.
Had they introduced it in their Model 70, with a shorter throat, i think it would have caught on better.

Then some idiot gun rag writer was trying to compare it the 270 Win with non existant bullets for the 270 & saying it offers no gain.

Took F-Class shooters using it in the form of the 6.5-284 for it to catch on.

Back