I think I got my best Gun Broker deal yet...

Interesting

IverJohnson32Cal2-1.jpg

Interesting stuff being posted here. I haven't bought anything "new" since January and you guys aren't helping out when it comes to resisting the urge.:D

While researching an Iver Johnson, .32 Cal Revolver, made prior to 1899. I started running into names like Hopkins and Allen, H&R, F&W, Andrew Fyrberg and W.E. Goforth. On January 9, 2011, Bill identified it as a First Model, made in 1894. I ordered his book on Iver Johnson that same week. A must have for anyone interested in these old revolvers.

The Black Powder Cartridge Era, as I call, it was some interesting times as revolvers evolved from Cap and Ball Percussion. When the Colt and S&W Patents ran out, they lost their monopoly, loads of companies joined in and a lot of little weapons for personal defense got sold in this country.

Slowhand,
Agreed! That is a very interesting era in firearms development. I have some examples of early Harrington & Richardsons (made after the Wesson & Harrington partnership) that I feel are interesting. Included are the AEtna and Victor "off-brands" made by H&R in the 1870s into the 1880s.
Heres's a couple pics to show some of the variety.

IMG_0649_3.jpg

IMG_0669.jpg

The "Off Brands" Had Company

32 Magnum

Great Photos of the Off Brands.

The Big Guys were also getting in on the act.

1877prices.jpg

Of course prices were a bit less than they are today.

great info here!

:)This has all been great info! This pic appears to be an H&R 1st Model, 1st Variation SN #3676. Purported to have belonged to a Chicago Police Dept. Officer (relative of Dear Wife's mother), at the time of the Haymarket Riot (May 4, 1886)

Attachments

• PICT0167web.jpg
    PICT0167web.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Back