I Switched to Metal Ammo Cans and Re-labeled Them

I got my three new .30 cal cans today. I labeled one and moved 26 20-round boxes of 7.62x39 into it. Here's the current set-up (unlabeled boxes are empty):
ySUEUU6.jpg

While I go through the effort of making pretty labels for my loadings:
Lbl%20Example.png

My ammunition, for the most part is all in steel ammo cans with 3.5 Index cards folded in half and stapled to the handles. Shelves? I just stack therm on each other till I figure the stacks are either listing too much or looking unstable. My ammo cans are several flavors of sizes. When I see a good price I buy a few as I figure you can never have too many. :) I even have several I think I bought at Walmart.

Ron

Most recent set-up

WVpEjxt.jpg

Top shelf, left to right: If I only have time to grab one thing, the .50 cal can has one 4-pouch bandolier with four G3 mags loaded with 80 rounds of 7.62x51 ammo for my PTR 91, one 2-magazine belt pouch loaded with 30 rounds of 9mm (in two mags) for my Sig P229, and 120 rounds of 7.62x39 ammo on stripper clips for my SKS (the stripper clips will either go in a bandolier or 3-clip belt pouches, depending on what Santa brings me). The first plastic box is for .308 boxed ammo (mostly hunting rounds that were given to me). The second plastic box is for empty G3 magazines. The last plastic box is a catch-all.

Middle shelf, left to right: The 1st two .30 cal cans are labelled for 7.62x51 boxed ammunition. Depending on how the ammo is packaged, I can get about 120 to 320 rounds in each can. If I don't get ammo for X-mas, I'll order more right after. The third .30 cal can contains 7.62x39 boxed ammunition. When it's full it holds 480 rounds. The last two .30 cal cans contain 400 rounds each of 7.62x39 ammo on stripper clips.

Bottom shelf, left to right: The three .50 cal cans each hold three 4-pouch bandoliers, so that's 12 magazines with 240 rounds of 7.62x51 ammunition per can. The last .30 cal can is for boxed 9mm ammunition. It currently has 120 rounds.

Last edited:
Hey I got all my can's 50 & 30 cal at gun shows. The 50 cal went for 3 for $10.00 & the 30 cal 4 for $10.00. I would wait till the end of the show on the last day and most of the time got 4 for $10.00 50cal or 5 for $10.00 30.00. That was not that long a go. Well 10 years or so. I always picked up some at every show so I have a lot. I keep all my ammo in them ,my gun cleaning stuff, gun oil, tool's etc,etc. You had to pick the good ones out some where junk most where like new. Glad I got as many as I did because you can't get them any more.They are real milsurp. The ones now are going for $15.00+!:eek:

I have seen and bought the new metal .50 Cal ammo cans from Walmart for about $9.00 EA. Here is an example. Awhile back it was Midway or similar was selling the 50 Cal cans with a 30 Cal can inserted inside it for something like $15 EA. Over all the years I have accumulated what amounts to a collage of the things. :)

Ron

I love metal cans, but I keep breaking the handles. The curl around the ring that attaches to the lid keeps coming undone and I can't bend it back properly. Sucks when I go to lift a can of .45 ACP and the whole damned thing goes "Thud", especially right on my boot! :O

Back