I solved a major problem that's been bothering me for a while

Damon555

I have been shuffling handguns around from case to case in order to take what I felt like shooting that day to the range.....This was getting old so I got the bright idea (not really mine) of trying a rifle case so I could carry more handguns at once and not be lugging a bunch of cases around.....My brother has been using a "small" rifle case for years so I figured I might as well just give in and get one too. I was skeptical at first but now I'm on board with the idea.....The real worry was things flopping around in there. No worries in the end though.....the Plano case I ordered holds everything but the thinnest magazine very secure......plus almost all my handguns can be crammed in there at once.....along with their respective accessories.

20171206_125244.jpg

My next problem will be the load of ammo I need to stow in my backpack to feed them all. I suppose the next thing I'll need is a rolling, carry-on style suitcase to haul that pile around!

The few hours I spent at the range today felt so organized that I think I'm on to something here......Maybe someone else can benefit from this example......either that or I'm way behind the curve here!....lol

Ha.....possibly!.....But I look at it this way.....My scoped, 44 mag Super blackhawk hunter wouldn't fit with all the rest of them.....so now I need to get a second rifle case and buy more pistols to keep the SBHH company!......I wonder if my wife would see it the same way!???

I found a zippered tool bag at Home Depot that has an extension handle and wheels. I carry two guns at most, plus my ammo and a couple of range tools. I pack it the night before.

Bob Wright

My interest in handguns has grown since my private range lost its lease. I haven't been able to shoot my rifles in quite some time so in the mean time I'll become proficient with my long neglected handguns. My interests ebb and flow......but long distance target shooting and varmint hunting are my true passions. I suspect that when my outdoor range finds a new home that rifles will be in the forefront again and my handguns will be relegated back to the shadows. The majority of my gun money will be funneled back into the rifle rack....I might possibly be very close to my limit of handguns....blasphemy I know, but the truth hurts sometimes!

That's a good way to take multiple guns. I used to take all my guns to the range, but not any more. I found that I have more fun when I take two or three of them at a time. I can focus more on each gun that way. Now I alternate which ones I take. The only one that goes to every range trip is my EDC.

You need 1 long case for revolvers and 1 for the autos. Then you'll need to work on filling both to capacity.:D
That is a good solution. Like SonOfScubaDiver, I don't take more than 3 to the range at any one time.

Ummm, no way can I be the only one who thinks the pictured method is simply a horrendous idea. I know, I've done it, tried it, got the scratches on guns to prove it.

I take 7-9 handguns with me each trip. The single zippered gun rugs that used to be $7.99-$9.99 each are down four bucks each at the gun show.

Each handgun in a zippered case, all of those cases then carried ANY WAY, even the big gangly and unwieldy rifle case as pictured or a fancy (overpriced) range bag specifically sold as such, or my chosen method... old school 1990's era zippered, leather laptop computer bag. Goodwill store is the best place to find them, and you're a sucker if you pay more than $5 for it. I have three.

My wife and I used a rifle case to transport our handguns out to NV the last time we went to Front Sight for one of their courses...very handy. Ammunition is a different story...no real answer as yet...generally we buy it there from one of the trailer truck vendors along the entry road...far cheaper than here in KY BTW.

Here at home, it's a bit easier....out the door, hang a right, walk 25 yards and start shooting...and yep, I know what a good deal I've got. Rod

Last edited:
IMHO, you are carrying too many firearms and accessories in that case for my own comfort level. A Pelican case with a custom interior would avoid the chance of your guns banging against each other. Where I work we use Pelican cases with custom interiors to store and transport aerospace tooling and test equipment. I’ve never had damage problems using them, and I’ve been buying these for years. The custom fit Pelican cases are definitely more expensive than a Plano case but way cheaper than fixing cosmetic damage to your guns.

Last edited:
They'll slide around and scratch each other up. At least put them in sandwich/freezer bags first.

The single zippered gun rugs that used to be $7.99-$9.99 each are down four bucks each at the gun show.

Each handgun in a zippered case, all of those cases then carried ANY WAY

I like it! I've also seen bins just full of them in older gun shops for cheap.

I use a similar case designed to fit ar style rifles to carry my coach gun when broken down. best Idea I have ever had.

I'm well aware of what can happen inside the case during transport. I'll worry about any issues if or when they arise.

Back