I shot my gun in my sleep last night

For that reason I don't keep a loaded gun in my bedroom. I've been known to sleepwalk on occasion, opening dresser drawers and such. I just don't want to risk it!

Wow pretty scary stuff. Glad you were ok. But should probably rethink how to keep yourself ready for an attack but safe from a negligent discharge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah. I'm not sure this really applies to most people. Don't sleep with a loaded gun in bed with you. And if you are doing complex motions like that while sleeping, you need to consult some professional help. Glad you lucked out though.

I'm glad you are okay. It could have ended much worse. I have this safe mounted between my bed frame and night stand. It is fairly quick to get to, but still requires being conscious enough to key in the code. based on some sleepwalking videos, that probably wouldn't cut it. I don't sleep walk though and I wake up pretty darn quick.

This is something we all need to think about. I spent the summer of 1969 learning how not to sleep. With a gun. A lot of that stuff does not go away. So for years I slept with a gun next to the bed in or on the stand. I have never sleep walked. I can go from asleep to awake in a couple heartbeats.

The practice changed when I started getting meds from the VA and grandkids started having sleep overs. It is more acceptable for the wolley boogers to come in and devour me than confront a small kid who got up for a drink of water. Do not sleep with one anymore. And it is mostly ok. Compared to the alternatives...

This, in my opinion, is merely the first time you have realized that you've done something in your sleep.

I'm not saying you're a lunatic or a bad person. I'm saying that you need to speak to a doctor and find out what's causing this.

The caution in general about AD/ND is well made though.

Maybe it's time to get a single action revolver? I'd think cocking the hammer and pulling the trigger would be a difficult task to do while sleeping...

The OP stated this,
i've been keeping a Ruger Mark IV .22 (My only handgun at the moment) on the bed next to me, round in the chamber/safety on
So I doubt this would make any difference,
Maybe it's time to get a single action revolver? I'd think cocking the hammer and pulling the trigger would be a difficult task to do while sleeping...
The OP manipulated the safety and pulled the trigger so I'll go out on a limb and say if he could do that, he could cock the hammer and pull the trigger

My Shield 45 sleeps loaded chamber safety on next to the bed on the night table. Has for years. Ever has been an issue.
Sounds like the OP has or had a little sleep walk incident.

I will continue to keep my loaded/safety on firearm in the same spot. Not concerned about the OPs in ident occurring.

Anything is possible but this I see as highly unlikely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you taking any kind of medications or sleep aids that might cause this ? I am glad know one was hurt .

I woke myself up the over day after I threw a punch during a dream and home invader .

Sleeping meds?
I found my neighbor out walking her dog at 2AM, sound asleep in her nightgown.
She had taken some prescription sleep aid. I'm glad she didn't want to drive them to the park for a walk.
She told me I was a liar, but later that week she apologized, She woke up in her kitchen when the smoke detector went off. Burning bacon and eggs on the stove. She said she dreamt she was making breakfast for her girls.

We had a local government official who drove to a Burger King (or some other fast food drive through) in the middle of the night stark naked.

So you can do complicated things. Thus, unchambered guns etc. might not do it. A sleep lab and medical workup is worth it.

It's important to understand that the folks recommending that you get checked out are concerned about your well being. IE, they care about ya. In no way are they trying to attack you.

This also goes for folks that may be READING this thread and taking exception since they have experienced similar sleep phenomena.

We all want our brothers and sisters of the gun to be as healthy and safe as possible.

On the sleep aid comments. My wife has plenty of stories before we met where she had woke up in her car after apparently driving somewhere as well as waking up in the yard and so forth. Oddly enough, my neighbor JUST told me he went to bed in his bedroom and woke up naked in his livingroom with two peanut butter and jelly sammiches beside him and Call of Duty modern Warfare remastered playing on his PS4. So, quite a few complex actions can take place.:D

Last edited:
I am glad your shot did not hurt anyone. I am a night worker and deployed in Afghanistan. The walk from my room to the bathroom is 20 yards each way.

This week I managed to get up and made the walk, stopped and had 5 minute conversation with the day shift guy, went back to bed.

Later when I went on shift my buddy asked me something and I was confused. He looked at me and said "Yea we talked about it at lunch". I told him I had no memory of that occurring.

Back