I shot a Mateba Revovler semiauto

Heavy handguns are, IMO, good for collecting, target shooting, and threats that don't shoot back, just like the .50 BMG rifle a friend of mine has. Handguns in general, IMO, are strictly defensive weapons.

If forced into a duel at 10 paces, I'd rather have a flyweight 9mm semi and the opponent a 3-4 pound DE, Mateba, Ruger, etc. He'd have some holes in him before he could get that thing stabilized on target. YMMV

It might just be me, but I'd think that it being semiautomatic and a revolver at the same time defeats the purpose that both types of weapons are used. Semiautos are used because they have a large mag capacity, and most are extremely reliable. Revolvers, on the other hand, are still used because they're utterly reliable. This seems to have the downfalls of the semiauto (slide is a moving part, easier to break) and the revolver (limited to 6 rounds). I honestly couldn't see myself spending the money on one.

I did not know there was a slide on the Mateba. Why would a revolver have a slide? :confused:

The only external parts that should need to move are the hammer and the cylinder.

Because the Mateba is a hybrid semiautomatic revolver. It was also featured in the anime film "Ghost in the Shell", FYI. Darn good movie.

Mateba has had a few weird designs before. Honestly, I'm not sure how they've remained in business...but with offerings like this new one, I'm rather glad they did. :)
The first was designed to bring the bore closer to the shooter's hand, thus minimizing muzzle flip. This is actually the gun that appears in Ghost in the Shell, IIRC...simple double-action revolver, but with low-mounted hammer, and grip shape that looked like it belonged on a semiauto. Barrel was aligned with lowest chamber.
The second had cylinder placed in FRONT of the trigger guard, and a short barrel aligned with top chamber. From the cylinder back, the frame again looked like an automatic...I'll have to find pictures somewhere, or sketch something; I can't really describe it very well. I remember reading this was designed for competition, deliberately muzzle-heavy and with axis of recoil quite low against the shooter's hand.
The third is all over this page, and hopefully, soon in my posession.

[edit] Found an image. Just a drawing, but I think that's what the first one looked like. Damn it, I REMEMBER reading about these guns years and years ago, they couldn't have just disappeared, or been remembered only for being used in anime..

first.gif

Mateba's still around the last time I checked...and I definitely want one. *fumes at the thought of having to wait three years to be legal for handguns*

The Mateba Model 6 Unica comes in .357 Magnum, .44 Magnum and .454 Casull; there's also the "Griffone" rifle with the same action and an 18" barrel.

Trigger-pull on the Unica is 5.8 kg DA, 1.8 kg SA; gun weight 1.25 kg (don't know if that's loaded or not); safety is incorporated into the trigger mechanism (like a Glock, I think).

The picture is of Sergio Mateba with a Unica 6 in .454 Casull

Attachments

• sergio_mateba_and_his_auto_revolver.jpg
    sergio_mateba_and_his_auto_revolver.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 108
striderteen,

gun weight 1.25 kg (don't know if that's loaded or not);

The weight of the Mateba Unica 6 in .357 is (as mentioned earlier in this thread ;) ) 47.4 ounces. In the post with the picture of my Mateba, I compared the weight to a couple of other well-known wheelguns to put into some kind of perspective for those that haven't held one (like me up until I bought one).

Trigger pull is okay, but a tuned K-, L-, or N-frame feels better; maybe I should track down a Wolff spring kit for my Mateba, too. ;)

If you really want one, you'll need to bail outta Kalifornia or get those ridiculous laws changed, or you'll never be able to get one. ;)

I'm bailing once I'm through with college. Nevada, Oregon and Arizona all have "shall issue" concealed carry licenses, no assault weapon bans other than federal, and no licenses other than afore-mentioned concealed-carry.

12.6 lbs...

Mine doesn't feel anywhere near that heavy, but I've never taken weights to it. Seat-of-the-pants guess would be 10 lbs, give or take a half pound.

Mine doesn't feel anywhere near that heavy, but I've never taken weights to it. Seat-of-the-pants guess would be 10 lbs, give or take a half pound.

And approx 4lbs on subsequent shots then (1.8kg)? Does it cock its hammer and modify its trigger position after the first DA shot? If not, how can you tell it's ready to fire in "SA"?

PS5

Does it cock its hammer and modify its trigger position after the first DA shot?

Yes.

Trigger finger thinks it's shooting a DA/SA auto pistol; eyes say "wheelgun". Disconcerting, at first. :)

Meowhead...

The pictures you saw were probably in the Gun Digest of 1990, in an article called "The Mateba Affair". It has pictures of the early bottom-barreled wheelguns, as well as the cylinder-out-front "snubby", and some skethces of a couple of protoype rifles.

The article makes no mention of the auto-revolvers, so I guess they were still just ideas then.

What I really want is a Webley-Fosbery 8-shot .38 Super, but those things are scarcer than hen's teeth, and cost several people's worth of arms and legs. Even the six-shot .455's cost a heap, and I've only ever seen one.

Of course, W-F's don't come in .454 Casull. That is an awesome concept. I want one, but I don't think the PRK is enlightened enough to allow their sale in this state.

Stupid Liberals. I hope someone turns their hot water off in the middle of their showers. That'll teach 'em. So there. :p

Blackhawk

Since duels seemed to be single shot affairs, I will take the .454 Casull or any other very large bore, high velocity bullet. If the 9mm doesn't drop me, I'll get mine in.

As interesting as the Mateba is to me, this truely is an answer in search of a question.

Back