I received the best Christmas present I could of asked for!!

chris16371

Every year for dinner all the family meets up at my grandma's for dinner and gifts. This year was like any other year until I presented a gift that brought tears to my eyes. This year my grandmother handed me down my great grandfather's (her father's) Winchester Model 53 Nickel Steel 44 WCF, something I would have never expected to receive, I'm a very sentimental person and I couldn't help but to tear up a little. Why it may be no big deal to anyone else I just had to share it, truly an exciting and meaningful moment for me!
2a76be14002607f1f5e38280ad249042.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Every year for dinner all the family meets up at my grandma's for dinner and gifts. This year was like any other year until I presented a gift that brought tears to my eyes. This year my grandmother handed me down my great grandfather's (her father's) Winchester Model 53 Nickel Steel 44 WCF, something I would have never expected to receive, I'm a very sentimental person and I couldn't help but to tear up a little. Why it may be no big deal to anyone else I just had to share it, truly an exciting and meaningful moment for me!
2a76be14002607f1f5e38280ad249042.jpg

Now that is priceless.

Thanks everyone!

It hasn't been fired in a long time but it was taken care of. I think I'm going to have it looked over by a gunsmith and make sure it's safe to fire and if it is I would really like to take a deer with it. I'm sure everything will check out, the lever is smooth and fast but there's obvious signs that it was used what it was meant for so I just feel safer making sure.

Such a beautiful time and guift , it is a well cared for rifle for sure . Will be in the family forevey , much more then just a rifle , what a Treasure .

Ralphy has nothing on you this Christmas! Just don't shoot your eye out! ;-)

In all seriousness though, that is a marvelous looking rifle, and I bet it could tell some stories!

Not to distract from your wonderful heirloom, I had a similar experience with my Dad when he handed over his Springfield 1903.

We both teared up a little. I promised him good care and he knows where it is if he were to ever need another outing with it. It also signified his acknowledgement that he would never hunt again. His body just can't take it any longer.

Your prize is beautiful. Any great grand son would be proud to own it.

Ralphy has nothing on you this Christmas! Just don't shoot your eye out! ;-)

In all seriousness though, that is a marvelous looking rifle, and I bet it could tell some stories!
Oh yes there's lots of stories and history with the rifle. If you come right down to it this rifle was a big contributor to the survival of my family during those hard times.

My family and also my mom and siblings were very happy for me that I received it. I was a little emotional and happy but I couldn't show my true level of emotion and excitement with all the jealous, angry eyes from uncles, aunts, and cousins. I mean sure I would of been jealous if someone else would of gotten it but I would of been happy for them. I'm the hunter in the family and my grandma knows I take care of my guns and that I would never get rid of it so I'm sure that had some to do with her decision.

Last edited:
Not to distract from your wonderful heirloom, I had a similar experience with my Dad when he handed over his Springfield 1903.

We both teared up a little. I promised him good care and he knows where it is if he were to ever need another outing with it. It also signified his acknowledgement that he would never hunt again. His body just can't take it any longer.

Your prize is beautiful. Any great grand son would be proud to own it.
I'm sure it was a wonderful yet emotional moment for the both of you! I wish I could of shared the moment with my great grandfather himself but unfortunately he passed many years ago. Now it's like I have a piece of him, as you do with your father!

I am so glad to hear stories of family heirloom weapons being passed down and cherished through the generations. That's the way it should be!

Its too sad the stories heard of these precious firearms being taken by uncaring family members to pawn shops to be converted to cash.

Back