I picked up a Ruger Wrangler 22 LR yesterday

RetiredMajor

This is my first single action revolver! The price was right and I've been wanting one. They seem to get solid reviews. I hope to shoot it this weekend. Range report to follow. Major

Awesome

Single actions are fun, addicting and bring back "cowboy" on all of us.

The Wrangler is an economical way to start the addiction. Way better than similar, or cheaper, import craps.

This is my first single action revolver! The price was right and I've been wanting one. They seem to get solid reviews. I hope to shoot it this weekend. Range report to follow. Major

Been contemplating one for a while. Mostly to have a revolver I can shoot .22 CB caps through.

I wasn't exactly on the bandwagon with these when the launched because they lack features some Heritage revolvers do, but recently I've been thinking how much I would like to own one if Ruger would add an extra 2 shots to the cylinder and adjustable sights and various barrel lengths.

Beyond that, I'd like Ruger to make a "Super" Wrangler with a longer cylinder to shoot .32 Mag, .38 Special and maybe even an "Plus Ultra" Wrangler that has a larger frame and even longer cylinder for .44 Special and .45 Colt.

These calibers are low pressure enough that they don't require steel frames, 7075 Aluminum will do just fine. No, they won't be pretty, but they'll be fun and cheap and I think that's all most are looking for out of single actions.

If I didn’t have a pair of old model Single-6s, I would buy a Wrangler. I would not buy a Rough Rider. They use to import German small frame SAs in 32 S&W long. I think same price as 22. A 32 Wrangler would be of interest to a lot of guys.

When I was in Hi school in 60s, I had every Ruger handgun they made. Try that today you couldn’t haul them in a truck. By the time I was getting out of school I was liquidating the Rugers and switching to S&Ws. Today I’ve got my original SBH from 1964 and S-6 from 62.
I have a Flatgate S-6 that I’ve kept for sentimental reasons. If you are into shooting full power magnum loads Ruger is best choice.

Carl, the debate will rage forever. Same as Ford vs Chevy or .45 vs 9.

I HAD 2 Heritage. Neither would consistently hit a pie plate @15 yards. Others have posted theirs shot acceptable.

But the defining factor, for me, came down to 2 things.
1. That ridiculous hammer safety. It could be removed, but left an ugly hole.
2. The ALUMINUM frame. Have seen guns that shot the barrel loose, especially when lots of magnums had been fired.

I believe the aluminum frame/steel barrel was the main factor with inaccuracy.

Wrangler has neither of these detractors. Making for an excellent, fun plinker.

I had sold the Heritage and was in the market for Wrangler, when I stumbled on a a great deal for a Single Six. No brainer, which fit me well.

You got a Heritage and it shoots well. Congrats, enjoy it.
My buddy has one and loves it. It is far from a target pistol, but he has a ball and his son is just getting big enough to start learning with it.

Variety is the spice of life, otherwise only 1 would exist.

Last edited:
I bought a Super Single Six convertible in 1983. Lots of rounds, the finish has suffered slightly but otherwise the gun is just as good as it was when I got it. A little better, actually as decades of use have slicked it up a little (with no other work being done).

therefore, I have no interest in the Wrangler, or any other SA .22LR on the market these days.

If its made by Ruger, it will be a good gun. If it isn't, Ruger will fix it. If you like it, get it, and don't fret the cost. years down the road a difference in price of even a double handful of dollars won't matter nearly as much as it might seem to, today.

I bought a Ruger Single Six convertible in 1974 and sold it in 1983 to settle a debt. Still regret that, and wish I had it to do over again. :(

The Wrangler/Heritage debate. Sorry, I have a Heritage now for over a decade and still running strong. Personally I look at these guns as fun guns or just plinkers. If I was serious about using one for hunting etc. I would spend the money on the Ruger New Model Single Six. I personally like the Magnum cylinder.
That argument actually shoots itself in the foot, in the context of the Wrangler.
Ruger Single-Six revolvers use .224" barrels, since they are all made using the same barrels, which must work with .224" bullets for .22 WMR.
The Wrangler, however, uses a .222" barrel. It actually has the advantage over the Single-Six when it comes to .22 LR.

Well, despite this discussion getting off track, I'm happy to report that I had a nice range session with my new Ruger Wrangler. The gun is fun to shoot and very accurate. There were no issues at all with the gun. I had some older 22LR and few of the rounds were too fat (circumference wise) to fit in the chambers, but that was the only issue all day. I think I sent about 50 rounds downrange. The gun is a breeze to clean as the cylinder pops out. While i was at the range my new holster was delivered, it's a Desantis Wild Hog holster made for the exact gun and is a perfect fit. This will be a nice hiking/camping companion. Major

Well, despite this discussion getting off track, I'm happy to report that I had a nice range session with my new Ruger Wrangler. The gun is fun to shoot and very accurate. There were no issues at all with the gun. I had some older 22LR and few of the rounds were too fat (circumference wise) to fit in the chambers, but that was the only issue all day. I think I sent about 50 rounds downrange. The gun is a breeze to clean as the cylinder pops out. While i was at the range my new holster was delivered, it's a Desantis Wild Hog holster made for the exact gun and is a perfect fit. This will be a nice hiking/camping companion. Major
Congrats! How about a picture with the Holster.

Here is a nice picture. I personally like the cobalt finish.

https://dld-vip.com/physical/ruger-wrangler-cobalt-cerakote-22lr-w-rugerdesantis-holster

Back