Status
Not open for further replies.

DennisCA

I saw this on another forum (won't say which one):

43zy.jpg

kvqq.jpg

Oh BTW - According to the guy, he:

"Burnt copper high temp/ oil resistant coating on barrel."

This used a be a M1903-something; now it's a (I'll let all of you fill in the blanks)
:eek:

WARNING UP COMING RANT:
It really riles me up when someone like this can take a historic weapon like this and turn it into, I don't even know what to call it - I am at a loss for words!
END OF RANT

Someone (on another forum) said he may have used this:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/vht-engine...p3073059.jcwx?skuId=6771847&filterid=c21200j1

search

Last edited:
Jo6pak - This not my rifle!!!
:eek:
You couldn't bury me with that gun!!!!!!!

I have one that someone "spoterized" but nothing that can't be fixed:
wc1i.jpg

Last edited:
Chris_B

MY Remington 1903a3 shoots very well

Yes I would another but not that bastardize one!
Not mine but that bubba'd one

Last edited:
It is...different.

If that is hi-temp spray paint as one poster suggested, then perhaps the rifle is not beyond salvaging. Assuming the guy didn't mess with the finish underneath, the paint could theoretically be removed with a good strong solvent, although the area where the rear sight was looks to have been messed with.

I don't care for it, but too many of you guys paint your rifles in camo, is that any different? I don't like any firearm painted, call me old, I guess I am as I am 74.

WARNING UP COMING RANT:
It really riles me up when someone like this can take a historic weapon like this and turn it into, I don't even know what to call it - I am at a loss for words!
END OF RANT

Someone (on another forum) said he may have used this:

DennisC, I would suggest you remove the link to JCWhitney, or I suggest you road test the link to 'repair your computer because it is slow', then let us know how that worked out.

I do not know who owns the rifle, I do not know who did the work, the rifle did not belong to me, therefore it is none of my business, the owner did not ask me what I thought he should/could do.

Let us pretend the rifle was not period correct, let us add the owner had nothing to do with the configuration. Additionally not one part matched, let us call it a Johnny Cash assembled rifle, all the parts are 03, or O3A3, or 03A1 with a couple of Corona, Rock Island and Remington parts with rebuild stamps from 3 arsenals. And then I ask 'what and or where is the pride in owning a Johnny Cash type assembled rifle?

If the rifle belongs to me I personally do not care what you think about what I do with history. If you have 10 pounds of history I have 10,000 lbs. of history.

http://www.gunauction.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=7309186

I bid on and won the rifle in the auction. When the auction hit the forums the responses were predictable, with one exception, responders were trying to make themselves look good at the expense of the builder. Not one of the responders had a clue as to what they critiquing, there was a lot of laughing, giggling and tee-'heeing'. Two of the responders are monitors now. All I ask was to hold down responses to prevent the rifle from becoming famous, something like an Internet sustentation, did they? No, that would require class and character, I won the bid for the sum of the parts.

I could not see how someone could build something that ugly without knowing what they were doing. Sure enough I took the rifle to the range with 12 different loads of 10 rounds each, I spent most of the day firing the 120 rounds, the groups moved around slightly, some groups shared the same hole and no group was larger than a quarter. I applied the leaver policy, I left-er the way I found-er, the scope, rings and mount cost more than the riifle.

I was at a gun show in Mesquite, Tx. A man carrying a Santa Fe Remington 03 before A3 30/06 rifle was being told he had a pos rifle and no one was going to offer him anything for it, unless etc.. I asked him what he wanted for the rifle, he then offered to thrown in two boxes of new Remington ammo for the same price. To get the money I had to go to the bank, when I pulled into the bank he left me, he thought driving through the drive through would get us arrested. It all worked out, the lane we were in had an ATM.

I went to the range with the rifle and free ammo, I used three rounds of the Remington ammo in the Remington rifle and managed to get all three rounds to touch with open sights. $150.00 plus two boxes of ammo with that kind of accuracy? I needed the receiver, I have an 03A4 barrel that has been chambered to 308 Norma Magnum, I have always wanted a rifle with air brakes, the 03A4 came with one. It is not something I have to have, all of the parts from the 03A4 were almost given to me because the receiver was the focus of the purchase, not the trigger guard, stock and barrel.

F. Guffey

Last edited:
It is a Redfield mount. Dunno if its a jr tho. Its one my gunsmith had laying around. The rings are medium. The scope is a Swift 4-12 X 50 and there is clearance under the bell.

Here's a Redfield jr for comparison, looks the same. It's the 'classic' mount for an 03A3 more or less. I don't know how to gauge a 'medium' set of rings, though. 30mm? I turned my 03A3 into an 03A4, it had been turned into a sporter and I decided it was a good candidate for conversion to 03A4. But I really think the scope is a POS. I'd say my rifle is no more precise (at best!) than an average 03A3 with iron sights, because the scope is well, crap

"I would suggest you remove the link to JCWhitney, or I suggest you road test the link to 'repair your computer because it is slow', then let us know how that worked out."

F. Guffey - I did and it works fine on my laptop and my computer in my office.
(Don't tell my boss :eek:)

Also - F. Guffey: You are entitled to your option BUT taking a historic rifle and creating something like that mess is just plain wrong -PERIOD. I am sure I am not alone in this thinking. On that forum he didn't say it wasn't in shooting condition, so I can on assume it is functioning. I agree when you buy a gun it's your and you can do what you want to it, However don't be surprised when people make comments.

"If you have 10 pounds of history I have 10,000 lbs. of history." - ????:confused:

Last edited:
there is nothing historic about these rifles unless you also consider a latrine shovel a historical shovel and a combat canteen as a historical canteen.

there is no proof that most milsurps were ever used in combat and of those there is no proof that any of them actually killed enemy combatants and made a difference in the war.

for all I know the rifles I have that have been rebarreled and replacement parts were used to train reservists and homeguard units.

they may be classic designs but I notice that nobody bats an eye when someone takes a rusted out model A and turns it into a hotrod. for all you know those rifles were rack grade barely shootable garbage before they started.

I am sure I am not alone in this thinking.

and then

Also - F. Guffey: You are entitled to your option

I never make a post thinking I am going to get support or find anyone to agree. One day a group walked up and informed me if I loaned them some money I would be their friend. I informed them If I had to lend to be a friend friendship came too high.

That was a good day, then there was the Borgum gang, they were not looking for me, I was with the person they were looking for, you will never believe the fall out from that day.. You can be sure you are not alone in this thinking, I have friends that have built magnificent rifles 40+ years ago, now? Someone has put them on a guilt trip, not a sincere guilt trip, they were told if they had taken those $30.00 rifles and stuck them in a closet the rifles would be worth thousands now, now, if you are listening and not a dunce I said a miss match piece on one of those $30.00 rifles would not equal all the fun they had building those rifles and they would have never met the eclectic group of smiths they grew up with.

F. Guffey

Here's a Redfield jr for comparison, looks the same. It's the 'classic' mount for an 03A3 more or less. I don't know how to gauge a 'medium' set of rings, though. 30mm?

It looks the same. Rings are 1 inch.

Thanks, maybe that will increase my scope choices- my rings are 3/4". But then of course my bolt just barely clears the scope I have...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back