I need some pronunciation help

Mort

I've never been sure about these words:

Mannlicher

Miculek

Manhurin

I don't know why these all begin with M. :) There may be more later. Thanks in advance!

Since we're on the topic...

I have one that some may laugh at me for, but, oh well...I've just never heard it pronounced so I'm not sure.

The word is: Linebaugh, as in .475 or .500

Is it 'lin a baw', short 'i', 3 syllables, or 'line baw', long 'i', 2 syllables, silent 'e', or what?

Thanks!

Mannlicher: mahn-lichh'-air
Miculek (the God of Wheelguns): mick'-lek
Manhurin: mahn-yur'-een
Linebaugh: lyn'-baw

Now, answer this:

Carbine. :)

------------------
"The evils of tyranny are rarely seen but by him who resists it."
-- John Hay, 1872

Mick-lek! That is about the last thing I would have guessed. Thanks, Coinneach. I wouldn't want to go around mispronouncing the name of the Man (the MAN!).

That guy in The Green Berets calls an SKS a "car-bean" as he tosses it onto the reporter's desk. The dictionary says that's fine, but it says that "car-byn" is also fine. Sheez.

Apparently nobody has corrupted it to "car-bun" yet. I would be happy with that.

try this one...Leupold....I was corrected the other day by the lady on the at Leupold.
she says its pronounced "loo-poled".
well Im a Cajun from the swamps of S Louisiana..its pronounced "Leo-pold".
She should have been happy with the fact that I could dial the telephone ;)
Cuz
btw I always thought Mannlicher was pronounced "man-licker"

Cuz, technically, both you and the lady got Leupold wrong. It's German, and "eu" in German is pronounced "oy." Therefore, it's loy'-poldt. ;)

"ar'-sen-o." Correct? :)
------------------
-- John Hay, 1872

[This message has been edited by Coinneach (edited December 17, 1999).]

Coin is right on Leupold
loi-poldt (Leutenant=loit-nant)

Arceneaux= arsin o (long o)?

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

Thanks for starting this thread. I've got one that has puzzled me too as I've heard at least two different pronunciations.

Pachmayr

Pack-mar? Pack-mayor? Pack-mare?

------------------
RKBA!

"The people have the right to bear arms for their defense and security"
Ohio Constitution, Article I, Section 4
Concealed Carry is illegal in Ohio.
Ohioans for Concealed Carry Website

Sorry DC, you and Coinneach are wrong and the lady on the phone is right. Many, many moons ago I heard it straight from Fred Leupold's mouth. A reporter asked him how he pronounced his name and he said it was like loopold. For proof go to: www.leupstv.com/alpronou.html

Now for one I've always been puzzled about but never took the initiative to call them - how do you pronounce "Nosler".

Cuz, would you be offended if I pronounced your name as Arsenal?

Nosler around here is prononced as, "Noz- ler"

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Cuz, I also thought that it was perhaps pronounced "man-licker". I figured that if I was going to say something that embarrassing I'd ought to get some confirmation.

hehe , its pronounced "R-C-NO"..i guess thats the easiest way to say it...I figure Arsenal is sorta right..Arceneaux was originally Arsenault , least thats what i was told...I just love it when some salesperson on the phone tries to pronounce it...

here we pronounce Nosler as "noss-ler"..with a really flat accent, but then again, we say everything that way ;)

And how many times have you heard Swarovski pronounced "swa-VOR-ski"? I've heard it over and over here....
Cuz

Well, Mal, the guy's pronouncing his name wrong. :D

------------------
-- John Hay, 1872

oh yeh an another thing while we are on this subject. Why is it that we (meaning Americans) park on driveways an drive on parkways?

If I recall correctly, Mr. Leupold is of Belgian descent, not German. However, I could be wrong. I usually am.

marsh

Another one that get's mispronounced a lot is Nowlin but it really sounds just like it's spelled, now-lin (not know'-lin).

How many of you have heard some old timer asking about a "Smith and Western"? And some call their gun a whep-on...and put cot-tre-ges in it.

Mikey

SAKO - sa'-ko or if you prefer socko, not Seiko, which is a watch
Hammerli - is Hammer-li, not Hammer-eli
Sellier and Bellot - Seller and Bel'-ot

Back