I need help choosing a pump shotgun.

Mag tube, stock tube (5 Rds,) will be fine, unless you live in a war zone.

And then you would want an AR.

Adding lots of extras always seems to invite Mr. Murphy with something snagging, adding extra weight in an awkward point, etc.

Learn to run the gun

All the points listed previously are way more important than this but if you're left handed or are going to share the gun with a lefty than the Browning Pump Shotgun might be worth looking at as it ejects out the bottom instead of either side.

Once again the bottom ejection is a very minor point for your consideration.

(Brownings are just plain old nice guns though even if a little pricey IMhO.)

1. Search the threads. This is perhaps in the top 10 list for questions.
2. A new or used Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 can be found well-under $500. These are rugged, reliable, and durable. They are Ford vs. Chevy. No major difference that a beginner can appreciate. They are easy to operate and go bang. Knockoffs like Maverick and Charles Daly and others work too. It's quite rare that a modern pump gun "breaks." It would have to be wildly abused or just a really bad luck production.
3. Buy lots of ammo and practice.
4. At minimum watch online training vidoes for shotgun fighting skills and practice on your own. You should try to attend a shotgun course.

Have fun. Be safe.

I agree;Remington 870 or Mossberg 500.Like to add Brownell's carries different metal safety buttons.Also try finding a well experienced shotgunner would be a great help for you.Good Luck! :D

Of all of my pump shotguns, for HD I prefer the FNH P12. The Winchester SXP shares the operating system, but they have a recall for a slam-fire issue that came out a few months ago. My first shotgun was an 870 Express and it works fine too. I also have a BPS and a Benelli Nova. All work well. There are differences in length of pull and in the distance between your hands, so that is something to check since you do need to cycled the action manually.

Like others have said, for most of them, it is preference and price. However, the SXP and P12 are two that will function the Aguila mini shells (slugs and buck) which are low recoil and increase your capacity in the tube. That might matter to you or not. I have not shot the Stoeger P350, but that is another option that looks pretty good.

The SG is not my first choice for HDm but if I had to pick one, it would be the FNH P12, probably the BPS second and the Nova in third.

Downside of the 870 is receiver will rust because unlike many it's steel. When the receiver is aluminum the two lugs of the bolt lock into the barrel. The 870 has to be steel because the bolt is only single lug that locks on a barrel extension.

I need help choosing a pump

Personally I like my Remington 887, modeled after the 870, it has removable chokes and can be used in any weather.

^^^^

There's a weather condition in which I can't/shouldn't use my Mossberg 500? Please specify the wx conditions. I doubt I'll see such wx here in AZ but just in case it'd be nice to know.

Strictly for HD use, I don't think you can go wrong with virtually any brand of pump action shotgun. Mossberg, Remington, Ithaca, Stevens, H&R...They all just work...all the time.

Agreed. Find the one that feels the best with the safety in the most natural position for you, and go with it.

Mossberg 500 or Remington 870, both have their pro's and cons though you personally cant go wrong with either.

Mossberg Pros:
- Better Saftey position, especially with a pistol grip or lefties
- Dual extractors for more reliable ejection
- Lighter weight due to the aluminum receiver if that's a feature you are looking for
- Cheaper in cost
- Looser tolerances for better reliability in adverse conditions, not that the Remington is unreliable.

Mossberg Cons:
- No mag tube extensions
- Forend Rattle. This actually ties in with the looser tolerances leading to greater reliability in adverse conditions, and it's actually not an issue at all but more of a personal gripe for some
- More recoil due to lighter receiver

Remington Pros
- Mag tube extensions
- Less recoil due to steel receiver
- No forend rattle

Remington Cons
- Heavier (Though this may not be a con to some if you want recoil reduction)
- Less desirable saftey position
- Single extractor vs Mossbergs dual extractor
- More expensive

Last edited:
I just bought the 870 Express HD with the synthetic stock. Shot one at the range (although it was the tactical model) and liked it a lot. Fun guns! :) Got mine on sale for $350. Hope to get it to the range soon. You ought to be able to get for $350-$400. Maybe a little more if you want the mag extension. I think the tactical model can be had right around.

I opted for the base model without any extras. Just wanted to keep it simple.

Downside of the 870 is receiver will rust because unlike many it's steel. When the receiver is aluminum the two lugs of the bolt lock into the barrel. The 870 has to be steel because the bolt is only single lug that locks on a barrel extension.

The upside of steel is it is strong. Have you seen what a Bubba can do to an alloy receive? What does the fact that the 870's lug locks into a barrel "extension" have to do with the strength of the receiver, albeit aluminum or steel? I place the word in quotes since it isn't what I would call an extension but a part of the same billet from which the barrel is machined ( although gunsmiths are known to call this an extension).

Last edited:
Back