I need help choosing a pump shotgun.

GunLuvr01

Hey guys, I plan to purchase a pump shotgun for HD. I'll admit that I have never bought a new shotgun before so I really don't know what to look for. My budget is $500. I prefer 12 gauge but I am willing to go with a 20 if necessary. I don't prefer a certain name brand as long as it is high quality. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Last edited:
Remington 870 . Tough , reliable . Proven in battle since the 1960's . You can pick one up from most big box retailers for under $400 new . I have seen a 870 that had fired its million'th round with nothing but cleaning done to it from time to time . And ther is nothing wrong with the Mossberg 500 if you chose that route just make sure you get one with the metal safty button .

While nothing but respect for the 870 (I have two), get an Ithaca Model 37.
(PIC)

They've been in production for near 100 years, are both military and police
choices, and can be had for a song used. (My first was bought for my college
daughter back in `90 during the UnivFlorida/Gainsville serial killings, and the
second was only a year ago -- for $150)

Strictly for HD use, I don't think you can go wrong with virtually any brand of pump action shotgun. Mossberg, Remington, Ithaca, Stevens, H&R...They all just work...all the time.

Go to Walmart and get a 12ga. Maverick 88. Cheaper than all those above, and just as reliable. If it doesn't come with a short barrel, you can either buy/trade for one, or even cut yours to the legal minimum length.

Strictly for HD use, I don't think you can go wrong with virtually any brand of pump action shotgun. Mossberg, Remington, Ithaca, Stevens, H&R...They all just work...all the time.
This is the truth. Everything else is just going to be folks pimping for their favorite.

Look for one that has the most HD accessories. I would think Mossburg or Remington would be your best bet. I dont use a shotgun for home defense so no practical knowledge here

Forget the rest get an 870 or 870p if you can swing it or an ithaca 37 both are top notch. I like the browning bps equally however it is limited it different set ups.

Last edited:
Lots of great choices !!!

Again, addressing the requirement of a shotgun for dedicated HD use. I'd get that Maverick 88. that, jonnyc , suggested and save the change for another firearm. However, if you have additional services, then you can't go wrong with an 870-Express or Mossberg-500. There are other great choices like the a BPS or 37 but they are getting further from your service. Now, you did not list "used" shotguns and that presents even more choices. ...... ;)

I do have a low-end HD shotgun and to be frank with you, It's an older used one and I can't even remember it's make. ...... :confused:

Be Safe !!!

Get a design to fill the function . . .

If you want this gun solely for HD then look at those models designed for HD. I think something with a pistol grip, a short barrel and a large capacity magazine would fit the function. A 20 would do the trick if you are going to shoot buckshot.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young

Just had to chime in here. Forget the pistol grip, hard to control and you'll learn to hate it quickly. Also, IMHO, all these gadgets like extended mags, etc. don't mean much, if you can't take the BG(s) out with a standard mag full you're gonna need a lot more than a shotgun to start with. GW

All the brand name shotguns will work fine, for HD. The important questions are, how are you going to setup the gun, how and where will you practice?

How will you setup the gun? First the barrel, short, medium, or long? Interchangeable chokes? Sights, rifle type, or bead? Remember, you are inside your home, 60 feet would be a long shot.

Mag tube, stock tube (5 Rds,) will be fine, unless you live in a war zone.

Butt stock, as long as it fits, its good.

You can practice by shooting Skeet, (Lots & Lots). Try a little Trap also. 5 Stand would be good, but with a pump. maybe not.

Be careful, keep your back to the wall, and your head down.

Thanks for the responses so far. I prefer new, there is nothing wrong with buying a used gun if you get a good one. Unfortunately, I bought used guns before and ended up finding the reason the previous owner let it go.

I've been a long time 870 fan. But the Browning BPS is the best pump action made right now, but a bit over budget. Next up would be the Benelli Nova. I'd buy one with a 24" barrel and call it good. Short enough for home defense and versatile enough for some hunting or clays shooting. Priced right at $400-$450.

No reason to even think about 20ga. They are about 1 lb lighter all things else being equal. Great for carrying around, but with the lighter weight will recoil exactly the same as 12. 12 ga ammo is much easier to find and cheaper. You can always select 12 ga ammo that will duplicate 20 ga performance and recoil, not the other way.

There are a lot of great shotguns to be had for $500 and under. IMO, take a look at a number of guns at your local store and see what fits you best. Most name brand shotguns(especially the 500 and 870) have a decent selection of aftermarket parts to customize it to your taste.

Forget the pistol grip only. A pistol gripped stock isn't the same thing.
A Mossberg M500 and a Maverick M88 are exactly the same thing. Not as much daft aftermarket stuff available for 'em as there is for an 870. Nothing at all for Brownings.
In any case, look into an 870 or Mossberg combo. Gives you more versatility with multiple barrels and chokes. Bud's is well under your budget for an M500 Combo. Few there with rifled slug barrels and a changeable choke 'bird' barrel.

Back