I Need An Answer To Why Is The Mosin Nagant Is So Popular ?

As most have stated - CHEAP, did I mention cheap? Fairly accurate out of the cosmoline. Built like a tank, and easy to mod. Fun to shoot also. Throw on a mount and scope and you have a great deer, wild hog rifle for a total of $250 bucks give or take.

I've got FAL's, HK91's, AR's, Garand's, and quite a few bolt rifles. When I want a fun afternoon target shooting and plinking, I will bring out my Finnish mosins. I know it will be fun and cheap and my sore shoulder will remind me of the fun for several days after!

They're on the wall at my LGS for $149. This seems a little high given that others seem to be able to find them for 2/3 of that price.

I actually think about buying one for the old fashioned 3 gun wall rack in my office. They look kinda decorative.

Picked my first one up today! Paid $89 plus tax and fees. Can't wait to get it into the mineral spirits bath and get it ready to shoot. Maybe not the prettiest gun I own, but certainly the most historic and most affordable. Now for some surplus ammo.

Lawnboy, different versions of the Mosin-Nagant will fetch different prices depending on availability. Generally, the 91/30's of WWII vintage (1938-1944) are selling for $80-$110 because they are the most plentiful. Finnish Mosins will fetch a much higher price. I paid $150 for my M44. I paid slightly more for my M91/59. I also have a hex receiver Mosin with a 31" barrel dated 1915 that I paid $130 for.

Here's a family photo:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mosin_Nagant_series_of_rifles.jpg

Last edited:
They're on the wall at my LGS for $149. This seems a little high given that others seem to be able to find them for 2/3 of that price.

I actually think about buying one for the old fashioned 3 gun wall rack in my office. They look kinda decorative.

Don't think on it overly long- they are not making any more of these, and they are cranking out the dollars at a dizzying pace..... $150 won't buy you a roll of tp in 10 years at the rate we are going......

If you want one thats decorative, get a 91/30 with a laminate stock, these things are beautiful IMHO!

Back