I need a replacement CCW :(

Sorry but I am biased...

attachment.php

For everyday walkaround CCW guns a good snub is hard to beat.

Deaf

I carry a Kahr K9 when I'll be out for a while, but for shorter times and when I don't feel like putting on the holster I carry a Ruger LCR in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster. It weighs 13oz (15oz with bullets maybe?) Mine is the 38 Special which I bought before the 357 mag came out and has a tritium front site. I bought it for $430 new.

I'd recommend it to anyone looking for light and comfortable. Its not too hard on your hand to shoot with the grip design, and I literally forget that I'm carrying it. You could go with 357 but it weighs a little more. I'm always concerned with permanent hearing damage you'd get by firing 357 indoors. The 38+ is good enough for me and I'll probably carry it like I do, forever. Or until we have laser guns.

I've tried the .38 Airweights and as much as I like them, they're hard on my hands and wrists when shooting. That's why I bought one of these.

S&W Model 432PD - Airweight .32 H&R Magnum

It's at least as good as a .380 pistol, and a six-shooter. Light, easy to carry, fits in a jacket pocket nicely. You'll have to find one in the used gun section as S&W discontinued it. The current version is the 632 chambered for the hotter .327 Federal Magnum, which also shoots the .32 H&R and .32 Long.

If you prefer .38 caliber, I'd go with the Model 638 Bodyguard Airweight. I have the steel framed .357 version and at 23 oz it's too heavy for pocket carry so it rides IWB at 4 o'clock rather comfortably. The airweight version clocks in around 16oz and the shrouded hammer makes pocket carry much easier.

A Keltec .32 or .380 in your pocket is about the easiest thing there is to carry, except the tiny mini revolvers. It's what I carry, and I have my choice of many, many guns.

Last edited:
Handguns are not meant to be a fashion statement or a after-thought.
They are designed to protect you in a lethal force incident.
If its "inconvenient" or uncomfortable then do not carry any guns or weapons.
Here's a story from my past experience.

I used to use a basic set of hearing protectors that did a good job with hearing protection but not much else. They were uncomfortable and so I would take every opportunity to remove them. Also, I couldn't hear what people were saying while I was wearing them so I'd take them off to carry on a conversation during shooting breaks at the range.

As a result, I was often surprised by the end of the shooting break and would get "smacked" by the blast from several shots before I could get them back on. In once instance, I forgot they were off and fired a shot before I remembered to replace them.

I finally bought a top-of-the-line electronic set and paid another $80 for comfort pads filled with gel. Now I wear them all the time when I'm at the range. They're so comfortable that I don't even think about taking them off and they do their job while allowing me to take care of other incidental tasks like communicating with those around me.

So what does that have to do with carry guns?

The same principle applies. Sure, I can purchase a carry gun that is heavy and large and therefore uncomfortable to wear. I can justify it exclusively in the name of shootability and capacity, ignoring other considerations. Because it's heavy, I probably won't be able to use the urinal with it on my belt--I'll have to go into a stall and take it off my belt to do my business. Now I've introduced the potential for forgetting it, dropping it, having an unintentional discharge--all things that people have actually done with their guns in the bathroom if you keep up with the news.

Because it's uncomfortable, I will also be tempted to leave it at home if it's hot outside and I don't want to deal with a cover garment or if my back is a little sore today, etc.

The bottom line is that the gun is a tool, just like my hearing protectors, or just like the multitool that I carry. One can pretend that all that matters is how well it functions as a tool, but if my multitool weren't small, light and portable, I wouldn't have it on me when I need it. If my hearing protectors are uncomfortable and restrict my activities unless I take them off, there's a good chance they won't be in place when I need them. If my gun is too heavy or too large, there's more chance that I won't have it when I need it, and it raises the probability that in the process of working around everyday eventualities, its deficiencies will increase the probability of potentially catastrophic problems such as an unintentional discharge or the loss of the firearm. It may even induce a health problem such as chronic back pain.

I know that some instructors have popularized platitudes like: "Carrying a gun is supposed to be comforting, not comfortable.", but in the real world, it's a little more complicated than that. Comfort can be a critical practical consideration for a number of truly important reasons.

When you pick a tool, you should pick one that meets your needs, not one that someone else thinks is ideal for you. We are all only human, and as such, we have built in limitations based on who we are as individuals. Comfort is one of those limitations and it's unwise to try to ignore it.

There needs to be a balance. We don't want to put comfort in the driver's seat and ignore any other considerations, but it's equally foolish to try to pretend that we can ignore the comfort aspect of carry and still achieve a workable result.

I have carried a very reliable Kel-Tec PF-9 for two years now and it feels almost like a wallet in my pocket holster.

I'm going to bring up the gun belt thing again. OP never mentioned whether he had one or not. If you don't, get one. A $20 department store dress belt will simply not work to hang a gun off of. If you can fold any part of the belt lengthwise and the edges touch, it isn't even close to having what you need. If you do have a good gun belt, ignore this.

Holster choice also something to think about. I'll probably be flamed for saying this...but the Versacarry is crap. It's uncomfortable at BEST. And a dangerous way to carry at worst. If you're looking for IWB comfort, look into hybrid Crossbreed style holsters. They have a big patch of leather with a kydex holster riveted to it. They're pretty darn comfortable too. Some people don't like them, that's true. But most people who use them really like them. My Glock 19 rides in a holster similar to that (actually, a Concealment Solutions Black Mamba), and I love it.

If its "inconvenient" or uncomfortable then do not carry any guns or weapons.

I have to comment on this part. I think Clyde has offered a lot to this forum, but this is a terrible statement. Basically, you're saying if wearing a gun is uncomfortable you just shouldn't carry? If you can make a gun comfortable, why wouldn't you want to? I think the OPs choice of holster is his mistake. I can't see that being an easy holster to use.

To the OP, if you can't make your Taurus comfortable, find something else that is. An LCP or LC9 would be my first suggestions. Although I would always suggest a bigger gun with a larger capacity than those first, if it's between carrying an LCP or nothing at all, I'd rather you have a gun than not.

I ran into a guy at the bank that ran into a problem at the night drop box a couple months ago.

Part of the conversation went like this.

Guy "I pulled my .380 and hit the laser site."

Teller, eyes as big as pie plates "Is that a gun!?"

Guy "yea, sorta."

At which point I butted in, "my dad always said, better the gun you have than the gun you have at home."

He liked that answer. If convenience was no issue, we'd all pack AR's.

As Gaerek mentioned above, many folks don't give much thought to their belt when they carry concealed or otherwise. A good belt makes a world of difference in terms of comfort.

The LCP is a great choice, but I personally would recommend getting some hands on time with some different models if at all practical.

Leave the Cobra in the store never bring one home. I carry a KelTec PF-9 or 380 a lot 380 pocket pistol PF-9 on a belt slide holster under shirt. . Both have been fire a lot and proven reliable . 380 is several years old so shot more But I trust either.

Back