I need a replacement CCW :(

veamon

So, got my permit about a month ago, and my dad bought me a Taurus 651 as a gift. Great gun, shoots accurate, etc etc.

I've been carrying it since with a Versacarry IWB holster, and its just too heavy and bulky, weather its in the holster or in my pocket.

So sadly, I'm looking for something lighter. Semi or revolver is fine, and this one will retire to my desk drawer in my office.

Suggestions? Not looking to break the bank, but also not wanting so cheap I would be afraid of it not doing its job.

I've seen a few 380's, like a Cobra (never heard of them, but they seem cheap), Kel Tec, etc etc.

What are your requirements?

I have a KelTec P3AT .380, which for pocket carry is great.

Kahr K9 is super for a small 9.

A Sig 232 is a lovely choice also. If you like the PPK, but want something that works without futzing with it, the 232 is worth looking at. .380.

A small .38 revolver works well to. A Smith Airweight of some flavor is light..pain to shoot, but it is light.

how do you carry in the holster? I found that appendix carry is great for the heavier guns, after a while I dont even notice it is there (my carry is a little heavier then yours). It might help to switch it around some?? I think I read the 651 is 25 ounces, correct?

But, if you want to stay with a snub nose type CCW, you can always look into the Charter Arms .38 specials. Although not S&W or Ruger quality, I would say they are a step above Taurus/Rossi. They have a lifetime warranty and from what I read they stand by their products. Not the prettiest or smoothest guns out there, but they are reliable and work. They have many models in many finishes. They go for just about $300 give or take.

Their steel framed offerings are 16 ounces (2 examples):
http://www.charterfirearms.com/products/Charter_Undercover_13820.asp
http://www.charterfirearms.com/products/Charter_Undercover_13811.asp

Their aluminum framed offerings are at 12 ounces (2 examples):
http://www.charterfirearms.com/products/Charter_Undercover_53820.asp
http://www.charterfirearms.com/products/Charter_Undercover_53711.asp

Last edited:
Just curious.... Are you carrying this gun using a gun belt?

No matter the holster, a gun belt is the most important part of your carry rig. A good belt supports the holster and gun and really makes carrying easier no matter the weight of the gun.

If you aren't using a gun belt, and if you really like your gun, a good belt is a cheaper choice than a new gun.

Check out www.thebeltman.net for some good examples of a gun belt.

Other Concealed-carry Options

I am with Kreyzhorse on this one.

Before I wrote off the 651, I would investigate other concealed-carry holsters/methods. Switching holsters out or improving weight support has been the answer on a number of guns that seemed to big or bulky to carry concealed.

I carry a S&W Bodyguard .380 in a theis IWB holster made specifically for the bodyguard and I find it to be a very nice setup. The gun is a great shooter and has performed absolutely flawless for me. It's worth looking into anyways!

I tried appendix carry, but it digs in a little too much.

I'm not sure if the issue is just the weight, or the fact that its a revolver and bulkier by default.

I don't really have any other requirements. I'm looking for a new gun anyway (wife carries a .38 airweight, Judge in a drawer near a door in the house, and this one. I've always been more of a revolver fan ass opposed to a semi, just because of the simpler mechanics, but I'm not opposed to something new.

I just don't want to be one of those people with a permit who doesn't carry because its an inconvenience.

In my recent, "mini 9mm," thread, almost all of the pocket and small 9s were discussed. My two brands that I am now most interested in are Sig and Kahr.

SIG has two offerings I noticed: the 939 and 290. As for Kahr, I'm put of by the pm and cm, but find the cw9 and p9 very interesting.

As far as smith bodyguard is concerned... It feels great in my hand, it is a 380, and I haven't had the chance to shoot one yet.

I really like 9mm, the Beretta Nano could be another consideration...

guns, fashion....

Handguns are not meant to be a fashion statement or a after-thought.
They are designed to protect you in a lethal force incident.
If its "inconvenient" or uncomfortable then do not carry any guns or weapons.

If you are serious about carrying a weapon for protection then you must learn how conceal it and how to use it.
There are well made robust pistols & revolvers out there. I wouldn't go cheap either. If you want to be on a budget buy a used model that is well made, HK Beretta Walther SIG Sauer Glock etc.
I'd start with a compact single stack DA only pistol like a P239 SAS, the Nano, the P290RS or a Glock 36.

I tried appendix carry, but it digs in a little too much.

I'm not sure if the issue is just the weight, or the fact that its a revolver and bulkier by default.

What holster do you have?

I use a lowrider style holster with my SP101 and it allows full range of motion (bending, raising legs, sitting down, ...) when carried in appendix. There is no digging anywhere and I have an exposed hammer spur to boot. If you are using a high riding holster, then I can defiantly see it digging in while wearing appendix.

The one I'm using is a Desantis "Insider" holster. The gun sits fairly low and just the top half of the grip is exposed above the belt line. Since it sits so low, it doesn't bite into my belly when bending over (and I do have a bit of a belly, if I'm honest, lol). I bought it on a whim in mt LGS because it was only $20.. turned out it is my favorite so far. True, I won't win any quick draw contests with it, but then again... I'm not planning on meeting up with a bad guy at high noon either.

I appendix carry and prefer the Kahr CM9 & SIG P290RS (not the earlier P290) for EDC. I find the Kahr thinner/lighter but more difficult to shoot (YMMV).
Tomac

I personally don't like IWB for revolvers, they seem to ride better (for me) in a canted high ride OWB. I'm not a big fan of Taurus revolvers, but I do approve of your choice of caliber, I hope you are carrying either .38+p or .357 in it.

That is a great gun for winter pocket carry in a jacket - just shoot through the pocket, no slide or hammer to hang up in the lining. I would keep it for just that reason.

There are a number of good yet small .45's with greater capacity than a revolver and that are easier to conceal IWB. I would prefer to see you go to that or at least 9mm and not drop into the .380 range. While .380's make adequate back up or last ditch guns, I don't feel they have sufficient power to rapidly end an attack, short of a CNS shot.

I carry that exact Taurus, probably more frequently than any gun I own.

My rig (as most do) evolved from IWB to OWB and, finally to a Don Hume OWB pancake style high-ride on a good DeSantis leather gun-belt.

You can't overstate the importance of a good belt. I'm not a slim guy, and can comfortably carry OWB (with minimal cover, because of the small profile of the gun) and can also easily wear it in my truck without any discomfort.

As an aside, I love that gun. Highly accurate, though slightly painful with full-power loads. One of my favorites, Taurus-bashers be damned.

If you are serious about carrying a weapon for protection then you must learn how conceal it and how to use it.

That sounds good on paper, and I mostly agree, but I have to say if it wasn't for my comfortable, convenient LCP I wouldn't carry nearly as much as I do.

The vast majority of folks - myself included - talk grandly but tend to live conveniently.

There are well made robust pistols & revolvers out there. I wouldn't go cheap either. If you want to be on a budget buy a used model that is well made, HK Beretta Walther SIG Sauer Glock etc.
I'd start with a compact single stack DA only pistol like a P239 SAS, the Nano, the P290RS or a Glock 36.

I understand it not being a fashion statement, but it all has to be practical as well. I'm thinking keeping it during the winter months, where I can have it in a jacket pocket, and something lighter for other clothes.

Honestly, I think this thread is about your holster more than your gun.

A good holster like the Comptac MTAC(or Spartan), Milt Sparks, etc will handle the weight well.

Frankly, I think you would be much better off putting $200 into a good holster or 2, a gun belt and spare ammo carrier.

I would suggest checking out a .380 pocket gun. Easy to carry, and light. A decent pocket holster can be had for under $50. I carry a P-64 in 9mm Mak. The pocket holster for it was under $20 it is an Uncle Mike's. It works just fine. Though it is a bit heavy, and about as large as I would for for a pocket gun.

My pocket gun goes with me everywhere I can legaly carry, the only exceptoin to that is when the wife, and I go swimming. Then it stays in the minivualt in my truck.

Back