I Love A Gun With Some Personality

Since you brought it up...

One of my 'impulse' purchases was a Colt Detective Special, with the hammer bobbed and trigger guard cut away ala "Fitz". Aftermarket. Also has a broken grip, in memory of that time the owner used it as a 'less than lethal' devise prior to the advent of pepper spray or tasers.

I can't shoot it; being a classic Colt the internal workin's are all worn and out of time so it won't even dry fire.

Attachments

• DSC00897.JPG
    DSC00897.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 63
In an episode of the early dragnet it had a S&W box placed on his desk. His partner was dying to know what was in the box finally he opened the box and told his partner what it was. In a later episode he was asked why he still carried it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He definitely called it a Smith and Wesson .38 military and police airweight. Dragnet 1951-1959 Later in Dragnet 1968 iHe was asked why are you carrying that military and police airweight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I rescued this one just yesterday and thought of this thread. It's a Smith & Wesson Model 36, with no finish, unless you count "patina." Patina in this case being "rust" to ordinary people.

No finish, hammer bobbed, non-period mismatched grips.

I'd say I'd like to know it's story, but it's probably been tossed under a pickup truck seat and forgotten about for years.

Most of the "patina" cleaned off with Flitz. The metal is at least smooth to the touch now.

That will make a good inside the waistband carry gun. No worries about making it worse than it is with even minimal care. Looks like it was carried on the left side.

I don't care for the grips. I would probably put on one of those Pachmayr Compac grips with the pinky cut out.

Bill

That is a good example of what I look for in gun/pawn shops. If they can reasonably pass the function test, I take them home and do some refreshing.

Yes, I know that they no longer have a "personalty".

IMDB

Read up on Jack Webb. IMDB has a nice bio on him. He was quite the character. In addition to Dragnet, there was also Emergency! and of course Adam 12. Mark VII productions was his company. According to his bio, it is his hands that do the Mark VII "commercial" that ends each episode. No surprise there, he did not have to pay an actor..........he was known to be a thrifty producer/director.

Back