I Love A Gun With Some Personality

mk70ss

Just found this Colt Detective in my LGS. Belonged to a gentleman that was a banker here in Tennessee. His wife put it on consignment, and said he carried it every day to the bank for almost 30 years.

I was given a Rohm RG38 last summer that looks so much like the Colt it is scary. It looks the same, is in excellent cosmetic and mechanical condition. It's as tight as new. It's worth almost nothing but since it belonged to a deceased cousin I have known all my life, I wouldn't part with it for anything. It looked like I might have been the first person who ever fired it since it a new Saturday Night Special in 1968. It was made in Germany.

Banker? By day maybe. I know the smell of cheap rye and stale cigarette smoke when I see it. And I can hear the peroxide blonde purring on the couch. It'll be hard to leave all this in the morning.

Joe Friday's Gun?

Nice.

Is this the same model snubby that Joe Friday carried in the 1967-70 Dragent series?

Could be wrong, but I seem to remember that it was a Colt revolver that Broderick Crawford toted in his role as Dan Mathews, head of the police force in a purposely unidentified western state, tooling around in a 1955, two-door, Buick Century in the television series "Highway Patrol".

Not Joe's

Joe had a longer barrel. At least the couple I have seen lately when he used his gun.
I'm sure if you researched whhat LAPD used in those years, Joe's would be the same.

In fact back in the day the show was so popular that people would call LAPD and ask for Joe Friday. They developed a standard response.
It's Joe's day off.
Funny I grew up on that show, my son has now passed his love for the show on to my grandson's.

Being a shooter and not a collector guns showing wear and priced accordingly appeal to me.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

"The Smith & Wesson Model 10 snub revolver is the sidearm carried by Sergeant Joe Friday (Jack Webb). In Season 2's "The Shooting Board" (S2E21), Sgt. Friday uses his S&W when confronting a robbery suspect at a laundromat. When asked to give up his weapon for tests, Friday hands it over and the profile of the gun is seen. Friday mentions that it is his Smith & Wesson revolver."

Actually he carried a .38 Military & Police airweight that latter became a model 12. It is an alloy version of the steel version.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dscampbell, as close as the two models look (almost indistinguishable without reading the small print on the revolver itself or using a magnet), I'm curious as to how you know that. Is it because the LAPD issued Model 12s to their detectives?

I carried a Colt Detective Special .38 that looked exactly like that when I served in a US Army Military Intelligence unit in Saigon in '69-'70 wearing civilian clothing. When I was wearing fatigues (infrequently) it was replaced by a 1911. Neither was every fired except at the range.

Back